Quake3 For windows ON linux?

MadHattr

Or you can find a copy of the Loki version in the bargain bin. I saw one for $2.00 a month or so ago. You still have to download the latest patch which is just as large though...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm utterly shocked you didn't quite get a RTFM!!

I'll lay it out quick for you, despite it being ALL OVER the web:

[*]download the 1.32 [or newer] .run file for linux

[*]type 'su' and enter root passwd

[*]type 'sh linuxq3a-1.32-pointrelease.x86.run' (or whatever it's called) - if it works, do not start the game yet!! Exit!

[*]that *should* have created /usr/local/games/quake3 including baseq3 within it - if it didn't work, create those with mkdir and rerun step 3

[*]type 'cd /usr/local/games/quake3/baseq3'

[*]If you have Q3A installed in windows already: type 'ln -s /mnt/windows/Program Files/Quake III Arena/baseq3/* ./' supposing that's where it is.

[*]If you don't already have it installed, insert the CD and type 'cp /mnt/cdrom/baseq3/pak0.pak ./' supposing that's where it is - in fact, copy ANY pak files on the disk that the .run file didn't put there for you.

[*]type 'exit' until you are no longer root

[*]Hit the desktop icon or type 'quake3' and enter your cd key when asked, setup your player, etc. Enjoy!

[static@hal downloads]$ ls

linuxq3a-1.32-pointrelease.x86.run

[static@hal downloads]$ su

Enter UNIX password: *******

[root@hal downloads]# sh linuxq3a-1.32-pointrelease.x86.run

Installing.................................................... (you get your little installation GUI)

[root@hal downloads]# cd /usr/local/games/quake3/baseq3

[root@hal baseq3]# ln -s /mnt/windows/Program Files/Quake III Arena/baseq3/* ./

Cannot link to pak2.pak; file exists

" " pak3.pak " " 

" " pak4.pak " "

[root@hal baseq3]# exit

There are stopped jobs

[root@hal baseq3]# exit

[static@hal downloads]$ quake3

I'm utterly shocked you didn't quite get a RTFM!!

I have yet to see anyone type RTFM on this board since it started, guess we are more friendly here :lol:

I was about to say something similar Anon. We do seem to have a high patience level. Which is a good thing in case anyones wonderng. :)

This is just not good. I've been to lazy to play games on linux as I"m still stumbeling around in the dark on it. :lol: And there someone ;) has to go and show step by step directions on how to install it. Well there goes all my free time and reason for learning more about linux. It's time to waste me some badguys. BWAHAHAHA :lol: :lol:

This is just not good. I've been to lazy to play games on linux as I"m still stumbeling around in the dark on it. :lol:   And there someone ;)  has to go and show step by step directions on how to install it.  Well there goes all my free time and reason for learning more about linux. It's time to waste me some badguys. BWAHAHAHA  :lol:  :lol:

Well, most commercial Linux game suse the Loki installer, which makes it about as easy as installing a game on a Win machine with CD autoload turned off.

All you need to know is a couple of console commands... then you get a nice graphical installer.

• 4 weeks later...
Try RTCW on Linux too MadHattr. Quake III is good, but RTCW simply rocks.

Don't forget urban terror, since it's free and is damn cool, i use to love counter strike and then i saw urban terror. www.urbanterror.net

There just isn't as many servers, which sux but if you live in australia, us, other big country there should be near-by ones.

If i wanna play a q3a like game i generally prefer unreal t or now unreal t 2003 not that q3a is bad its just that i can get really good pings on the unreal T servers here in NZ and more people seem to play it here so more fragging goodness :D

I'm gonna be shifting focus to gaming, slightly, for my website with the next major overhaul.

I'll be putting lots of info up that is currently hidden, apparently.

Many people *still* don't know that you can play Unreal in Linux... They think only UT and UT2K3 work....

Time to get the word out, I think.