render

randr

thats all theres moer above it so i dono if u wanted that

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fubar::chi

just post the whole file in a post here so we can see what it says.

btw when you're root at the console and just type

X

does it still give you a black screen?

What kind of mouse and keyboard do you have?...and did you have any probs with them at install? Because where your log stops at randr, the keyboard and mouse are next....well, I have nvidia and glx is actually next for me, then the keyboard and then the mouse.

Did you try changing other things with XFdrake? One way to see if it's a mouse or keyboard prob is to use XFdrake to choose a standard, run-of-the-mill vesa card/driver which should work for everyone. It'll look like crap, but if it gets you into X then it's not a mouse and keyboard prob but a video card/driver prob.

Another thing to look at, although it may be far fetched, is to turn off Video4Linux. 9.0 had a bug with this that I would experience where the screen woudl be black.

Su to root

Edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Look for

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

Comment out the line using the # symbol

# Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Restart..

I haven't seen this bug again with 9.0 so don't get your hopes up. If it doesn't do anything, just restore the line..

umm ill try all that and i dont know how to edit a file ima newbie remmeber that lol and have just a regular keyboard and mouse well the keyboad im useing is a MS intellitype board and ill trry those things now

PS im not going to use this thing for games just a internet PC and something i can play around with(its my first comp for myself :D i have a better comp for my gaming)

Ok im in lol i got it working i used the change the XFdrake thing to umm xfree4 then vesa or somthing liek that then i rebooted and it worked so im on my way to droping windows lol thank u guys alot and is there ne soft were to like ajust my monitors possion cuz my buttons ont he front broke so its kinda to one side a small u know the buttons to adjust form right to left and up and down so is there a program init or do i have to download it cuz i dont have internet on right now cuz i dont have a long enuf cable maybe in a week or so ill have internet

You can use xvidtune (open a terminal and run xvidtune...it's not in the menus) to get the correct settings to put in the /etc/XF86Config-4 file.

I know you said you're not really into games and such but when you get through playing around with the new toy and feel a little more comfortable, you'll probably find it worth while to get your video card going. But if your happy....we're happy :D

earsh0t:

Don't worry too much about understanding the details, they look horribly complicated but really aren't. They all come in time!

Two things you need to know.

1) When A (BSD variant) UNIX box is started it follows 5 seperate stages which incrementally add services (background programs)

1) Single user mode (think like DOS if you remember that)

2) Networking, some other critical services MULTIUSER

3) Basically everything else that isn't X related.

4) Not really used

5) Multiuser, graphic X server

OK when you boot to linux -3 this puts you into Run Level 3 (see its really logical once you get some basic differences between Win and UNIX)

This is a bit like safemode with Text in Win.

You can still manually start the X server, thats what your doing.

Linux is geting pretty good with XFree so what used to be a manual process is now less so (usually).

When you go to Run Level 5 it starts a login manager (these are called xdm, kdm,gdm etc) what you need to know is this for security and it gives a login screen which puts a user direct into X.

CTRL+ALT F1, F2 etc bring you to different logical terminals, called tty and the defualt graphic one is tty7 therefore CTRL+ALT+F7 takes you to X windows display if its running.

If you don't change the options CTRL+ALT+BACKSPC will kill the X server. If xdm,kd, etc are running this takes you back to a graphical login. If something isn't working then this can be an endless loop.

When you go to runlevel 5 xdm etc starts so if your X display is shaky your stuck. If this happens go to tty1 (CTRL+ALT+1) and login as root.

If you type init 3 <ENTER> it will take you into run level 3 which stops the display manager.

If you type startx or startkde from Run level 3 then CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE drops you back to the prompt. This is useful because it's easier to test different config's, if you get the monitor timings wrong for instance you wanna kill X ASAP in order not to risk damage to your monitor.

All the applications people (including me) have quoted write a file called XF86Config-4 in a directory /etc/X11/.

This is the beatiful simplicity of UNIX and Linux compared to some other OS's. In the old days we edited this file by hand but now several different automatic and graphic ways are possible.

XFDrake is one option.

xf86cfg (if you installed it is another)

XF86Config (is an old text based one but can write a decent starter file with VESA etc to get you started. )

If one doesn't work (or locks up) then you can try a different one or select manual options. This isn't Mandrake or Linux or XFree's fault its becuase some graphics card manafacturers won't give away the documentation for their cards.

Sometimes the manufacturer will provide a special utility for thier cards. These can be quite convenient: Purists might not like em becuase they are not usually opensource but you have time to understand the importance of that later :-)

Back to my first line. Don't worry, it looks complicated but it isn't but you need to learn one bit at a time. Its really worth looking at the files it generates but don't expect to understand everything all at once. If you understand a little it tends to grow because underneath the bonnet is a very logical and well laid out system that understanding one part gives understanding in another. I'm not a linux expert by any means but I've worked with UNIX for years. The thing that is good is becuase everything is open I can transfer my experience.

Good luck, take bvc's advice and get your grapohic support working properly.

VESA is a standard fallback mode built into graphics cards above the basic VGA level, its like VGA+. Its not optimised and its really for compatibility (always a good thing). Try and understand the run levels thing and the fact that programs running in the background start at different ones.

RunLevel 3 is best for testing your Xserver.

And u have just bumped my liking for this place to I REALY like u guys lol but thanks for all yr help and i think i understand the runlevels and like i sed i just what linux for a internet and stuff like that i have windows 98 i could put on it but i wanted somthing differnt and is there neway i could get my desktop in it to look like mac os x witht he same bars and stuff? but thank u again for all yr help :)

Actually there is a way to make it look like OS-X.

It's slightly fiddly unless you use the PLF stuff but it is possible.

But .... You NEED your graphics card properly supported to do it. Otherwise your flyout menu's and stuff all go screwy.

Seriously follow bvc's advice and get it set up properly. I started out with my first linux machine when there was very little software. I installed, played, installed X (later) and thought neat -well laid out OS but no apps.

That was a long time ago, now you can do LOADS ... Even if you keep your windows machine you might want to play music, rip a CD or whatever on the other.

A few years ago, after my initial linux trial I got another linux machine. I started out with 5-6 windows machines, one Linux and one Solaris 7.

Now I only have Linux. You wouldn't believe the difference in 5 years. Windows was Windows 98 and Linux out of the box was nothing compared to today. 7 years and an even bigger difference. Linux has become more usable so quickly its almost impossible to believe looking back now. I mean look at where Windows has gone from Win95 to today. Now imagine what Linux was like to a user. Hardly any apps, hardly any device support you had to practically use 5 year old stuff to be sure it was supported. Today Linux beats windows to new drivers, look at bluetooth!

U are so lucky to have come along now, we should all be pissed at you for having it so easy but were all Linux users so instead we just try and help you and make U feel welcome! The more you get to use Linux and understand it the more you'll laugh at Windows (seriously).

Good luck, enjoy yourself and learn!

Guest fubar::chi
And u have just bumped my liking for this place to I REALY like u guys lol but thanks for all yr help and i think i understand the runlevels and like i sed i just what linux for a internet and stuff like that i have windows 98 i could put on it but i wanted somthing differnt and is there neway i could get my desktop in it to look like mac os x witht he same bars and stuff? but thank u again for all yr help :)

you can make kde look like OS X pretty easily and with gnome it's even easier (kde kinda copied windows and gnome kinda coopied apple).

For kde go to kde-look.org and go to the karamba section. it may take a while for you to get it right but the people there are usually pretty good about helping.

you can make kde look like OS X pretty easily and with gnome it's even easier (kde kinda copied windows and gnome kinda coopied apple).

For kde go to kde-look.org and go to the karamba section. it may take a while for you to get it right but the people there are usually pretty good about helping.

Excuse me to interrupt, but what does karamba have anything to do with apple-look? Or do you mean acqua?

Hey, don't rush the guy.

He has lots of options and you can do the Oroboro effect stuff with or without the docker.

Aqua is dead cool etc. but unless he gets proper graphics support instead of using the VESA driver its going to be painful.

Ive had pretty good results with Mosfet and went thru the whole pain of moving the stuff to fix it for Mandrake before i discovered plf had done it all for me. (Thanks guys)

Don't forget this guy comes from a Windows world where choice is limited by the vendor.

Now, Ive gotta go and check out the link!!!

I just DID..... WAY COOL. drool .......