Boot problems just won't go

earsh0t

Ok im new ill say that now this happens with every linux OS i try (only2 but its all the ones ive tryed) ok first it happened with knoppix it goes threw everythign liek finding what hardware i have and that type of stuff. Ok then my monitor just goes black no nuthign happening just black like it whent on standby i had to use failsafe to getinto it and tahts what happend with knoppix. Now with mandrake 9.1 i installwith out errors says in the configure thign about my graffix not configured so i config them then it says its fine i test them out all fine then it reboots and the bootloader thign comes up and i pick the normal linux (first one) and it goes threw fines everything and then BLACK AGAIN i have no i dea why but it doe sive disable plug and play ive tryed failsafe and it dont work so i cant even get into linux im pretty close to just giving up linux altogether so plz help me out i realy want to use linux

specs r

p2-350mhz

128mb ram pc 133

video card radeon 32mb sdr (I.E 7200)

my HD is a ibm somthing on master

and im sorry about how i made my post so cluterd im alil pissed cuz of this and plz help if u can

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of motherboard? It seems to be an older system. I had problems with an older Gateway system with a Kadoka motherboard that wouldn't boot . With help got it going. Anyway post some more specs, such as motherboard. Hang in there someone will get you there.

OK, when you first boot up, can you tell us what the screen says? (bios stuff)

Is the box home made, or is it a name brand? Tel Us that, we can figure out the board! :wink:

umm its a award bios umm it does like it does somthignto find all the ram the number keeps going up till it stops and thats how much ram u got the it finds what IDE masters and secondarys then it starts up the bootloader and i dono what kinda of comp it is its like microtime i dont have nething to say what it is just the guy bought it online and one mroe thing this isnt a duel boot either only linux

If you are booting x, try hitting the escape key at the lilo boot, type linux 3, and see if you have an os. If you do, you should have a command prompt, from which you can login and access logs and such.

type in your username and password, then type the command "startx" (no quotes) and see if it tosses some error messages back to you. X is the "server" that does all the GUI stuff....it's kind of a long story to explain, but just understand that if X (more specifically XFree86) doesn't work you won't get a GUI till it's fixed.

Try typing in startx or just kde

Linux has a nice command line feature. Just type the first letter or few letters of a command and then hit the "tab" key. This will finish typing the command for you or give you a list of commands starting with that set of letters.

To find out more about a command you could try typing in the command name like "startx" with "--help" after it. This brings up a help file if there is one for it.

Or you can type in "man -a" then the command name for the manual(instruction) pages on the command.

X refers to the Xwindow gui system. All the gui's use the xwindow system. It provides a common base for programers to work from when making a gui.(I think thats it)

post back the results of your trying. If the gui does not come up then a little work might have to be done to configure it. Nothing hard just a few commands.

ok i get to the command line type in "startx" (no ")and then my mongoes black again so it must be that x thing thats wrong but like u sed (hopefully)its ez to config so post back and i realy like u guys here on this forum yr not like oo look at the n00b HAHAHAH (lol)

This should thow you back to Run level 3.

You should be back at where you typed startx except all the messages were sent to your console.

Hopefully this will include the error.

The easiest way for someone unfamiliar to configure X is from inside X so thats a bit of a pain.

Loads of stuff on the screen but the last part should say something relevant.

If it doesn't try this:

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config.bak

Now try XFRee86 --configure (I think Im sat in front of a windows machine at work)

It should come back with a message telling you its put a new XF86Config file in your home directory. Now try and follow the instructions with the path to the file.

If XStarts you can try xf86cfg or the DRAKE tool to tune it a bit.

Theres also a file in /var/log/XF86 .. 0.log which lists your startup if the important bit goes off screen. Its pretty long ..

If you can post this someone (not me cos Im going out) should be able to help ya.

When you get to the commandline, you need to be root, so type

su <hit Enter>

enter_roots_password <hit Enter>

then run (case sensitive)

XFdrake

I like to use

XFdrake --expert --noauto

Change something...anything, usually a lower resolution is a good place to start, but also try a diff monitor, and if you have to and it exist another videocard that's very similar. Also use the test option. To see any errors and warnings run as root;

cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log

or

cat /var/log/XFree86.9.log

if neither of these work, run

ls -a /var/log

and find a XFree86.?.log and apply the ? version to the cat command.

Let us know what you find....and DON"T GIVE UP! :wink:

Ok i changed the rez to 800x600 and then tested it then it sed

starting xfontserver or soemthing like that and then shuting donw xfontserver

then i typed in the first log u sed and then it whent A WHOLE LOT of stuff so now what next?