mouse problems in kde

tvlad

When i enter Kde 3.1 as root, i can't select anything on the desktop with the mouse, i can't do a right click or anything.

I can move the mouse though and i can click on the menus and the taskbar, but when i try to do smth on the desktop, the mouse cursor changes into a small x and i can't do anything with the mouse.

PS: I have Mandrake 9.1

I never launch kde as root. I always su to root from a terminal and, unless I am changing video drivers, I can accomplish anything I need to do this way. I personally don't think there needs to be a root desktop in kde!! :wink:

I just wanted to say that I 'm not answering because I'm not sure how to fix it! :) I would check the settings in the /root desktop folder, and the /home/yourusername folder, and compare the differences. The files are hidden, .kde

I logged into my system as root, just to see if I could reproduce the problem, and sure enough...it was just as tvlad said it was. I'll poke around for a fix, but I just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one.

you really should take Ixthusdan's advice and not log in as root.  there is nothing you can do logged in as root that you can't do as su.

Ezroller is 99% correct (or maybe 99.9% correct); however, I found one case where I needed to actually go to the root desktop because when I su-ed to root, I couldn't resolve my problem. Here was my problem in MDK 9.1 which could only be resolved as root with the root (red) desktop:

As user, I had right-clicked on the application menu and had changed it from Menudrake to the KDE Menu Editor so that I could customize it. It was impossible to switch it back to the Mandrake Applications Menu as user and as su.

With the help of one of the great moderators on this forum (bvc--, natch), I logged in as root and was able to switch back to the Mandrake Applicatiohs Menu that way. Then when I logged back in as user, the Applications Menu had changed back to the original Mandrake Applications Menu.

Now I know to customize only the Mandrake Menu and not the KDE menu.

Regards,

Richard L.

Advice taken, but u still haven't told me how to fix my problem, u just gave me a workaround, i would like an answer concerning my question

the point i think that's trying to be made is that there's no reason to run any graphical window manager/desktop manager as root. it could, in the end, cause more problems than what you're currently experiencing. it's not a workaround, it's a straight up "you should not do this, whether it works or not". any program you need run is root you can just open up a terminal, type su, hit enter, enter your password, hit enter, then type in the command to start it.

I used to be the way you are right now, when i need to do stuff as root i logged into KDE as root. I learned the hard way this was a bad idea (thanks to my brother), I wouldn't want for you to have to have the same experience.

Sorry, this is not what you want to hear either. I agree with tyme. It's a very bad idea to be there as root. First, you could mess your system up. Secondly, some people do it because it's 'convenient' and then wind up surfing the web as root - a VERY bad idea, unless you like the same level of security that Windows provides.

If you need root access there is always

su

and for files there is a Super user file manager, besides it's good to learn how to use the command line because

(a it can be quicker

(b you WILL need to use it sometimes.

(c if you want everything to be easy gui no need for command line go try Winblows

rcxau

:lol: :lol: :P :shock: :evil: :roll: There is nothing you can do to screw up your sys logged in as root, that you can not do logged in as a user and su-ing to root. The only legitimate reason I've EVER heard is that being logged in as root all the time causes you to become numb and out of check that you are root.Also, being logged in as root doesn't in anyway compromise Security anymore than not. If it does, I'd sure love to hear how.

The mouse prob? I've had that occationally in ML8.1, and 9.0, and only once in 9.1. What it has do with root? I have no idea? :shock: maybe it's a Security issue and someone could mousejack your mouse and shutdown the puter :P

Security is extremely over-rated when it comes to non-network desktops...lots of money involved you know...all those blind M$-ers....duh...O.K :? I logged in a root for my first 8 mths of linux.....don't anymore. Why?....don't know.....I've searched and searched with a return of nothing as to why you shouldn't. This issue has always gotten under my skin because no one can say why but everyone says you shouldn't....just like everyone says you should (in windows) run these 3 apps to protect yourself from the darkness of the internet. M$ Suckers....just control yourself and stop clicking on everything you see and you won't have to spend 250USD or more on apps and drain your resources.I haven't run antivirus on my win98SE in almost 2 years (same install) and never had a virus. Got a few worms though....easy to remove those. Found the boot prob... a couple of missing files I've been to lazy to replace. Lucky? maybe. Cautious? Oh, yea, are you kidding?...I started with WinME!..[crash] O.K. I'll stop ranting..and NO I'm not going to argue about this, but I'd like to hear a real reason. PM me :wink: This has all been offtopic and tvlad didn't ask for any of this root business, don't you think he knew?...of course he did but......how-about_that-mouse_prob :wink:

For your knowledge rcxau, i know there is su and i allways want to know how to do things in text mode.I am able to configure a system,compile the kernel, make the net and network work without using kde or gnome.I try not to depend on kde/gnome for anything i do(although surfing the net with mozilla is so much nicer than with links/lynx).