Installing new kernel in 2007.1 with GRUB

edwardp

I read that 2007.1 will use GRUB as the bootloader by default, instead of LILO.

My own experience using GRUB (with SuSE) is that when a new kernel is released, SuSE's YaST tool will download and install the new kernel, GRUB is automatically modified during the process to use the new kernel immediately at the next bootup.

Does Mandriva's use of GRUB in 2007.1 do the same as above when a new kernel is installed, or does it have to be manually modified like LILO (e.g. lilo -v) afterwards?

I think that, since Mandriva has switched to GRUB by default, that the rpm installing a new kernel should also modify the boot menu.

I guess because grub is better if you have to do system-recovery.

The new kernel will appear in the menu once you downloaded it but you have to set the default selection yourself (if you want a different than the default kernel), either using the MCC or editing the menu.lst file in an editor.

I am using Mandrake\Mandriva since 7.2. I can't really remember when a new kernel wasn't added by default to the boot menu. Maybe it wasn't the case with GRUB but it was with LILO.

Plus the new kernel becomes the default one. The choice "linux" always pointed to the latest kernel. Now they have a different name for that menu entry, not linux but it works just the same.

I just compiled the stock 2007.1 Official kernel to change the system timer to 1000, and it gets automatically added to the grub boot menu thingy.

Now I just got to learn how to make it default, never ever bothered before, always just selected it at boot up

Open MCC........Boot.....Setup how system Boots.

In there you can select which kernel you want to be default.

It couldn't be easier. You can even give a new title to your chosen kernel and even delete some of the items from appearing in the boot menu.

Cheers. John

GRUB is automatically modified during the process to use the new kernel immediately at the next bootup.

Wrong.

The new kernel just replaces the old one, using the same image names.

Grub (by design) does not need any changes to initialize the newly installed kernel. It's only the other bootmanager (lilo) which needs re-initialization after every kernel upgrade (running once /sbin/lilo, that is).

This is just one of the many reasons grub is much superior to lilo. The only con was that grub only had text interface, and this still applies for the official releases (will be changed rather soon), but patching grub to use pretty boot images is not very difficult- actually most "popular" distros are currently doing just that.

Edited by scarecrow

The Mandriva grub is graphic. I have not installed a new kernel with grub as the boot loader, but it seems that another entry could be made, pointing to a different kernel. While it does not have to be initialized like lilo, I think that Mandriva would offer a boot option, just in case something goes wrong. They would want to allow a user to easily boot with the old kernel. But I am guessing on this. I 'll find out soon enough!

As I said: Install several kernels and you will get several choices in the bootloader-menu. My lappy has currently three kernels (2.6.17-3, 2.6.17-13 and the multimedia kernel). It is only the default entry that you have to specify if you have several kernels and don't want the standard kernel as your 1st choice..