Jimtim

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry my mistake, a slight correction to Greg2's instructions as follows :-

In about:config the value entered for network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp it should read realplay

You can correct this by right clicking on the entry and select Modify and overwrite with realplay. That will correct that for you.

As for Opera you may have made a mistake somewhere along the line. Just check that all the entries are correct. As per image.

Yes, I have. My Opera configuration is exactly the same as yours, and here is a copy of the relevant part of about: config in F

network.protocl-handler.external.rtsp - user set - booean - true

network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp - user set - string - realplay

In about:config the value entered for network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp it should read realplay

You can correct this by right clicking on the entry and select Modify and overwrite with realplay. That will correct that for you.

Actually, it should be the path: /usr/bin/realplay

I've explained this before in this thread:

I have installed Realplayer on my systems with the Realplayer10Gold.bin, and it places the script in /usr/local/bin/realplay, I'm sorry for that bit of confusion.
so my instructions are correct for using the Realplayer10Gold.bin. However since Jim has used the RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm he must change:

/usr/local/bin/realplay

to

/usr/bin/realplay

Edited by Greg2

However since Jim has used the RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm he must change:

/usr/local/bin/realplay

to

/usr/bin/realplay

There is nothing realplayer in this address. When I change the path to /usr/local/realplayer/realplay, which is where I find the realplay bin, nothing happens.

@Jimtim, I've just dissembled a RealPlayer-10.0.8.805-3.SoS.2007.0.i586.rpm and it does indeed place the realplay script in /usr/lib/RealPlayer10GOLD/realplay with it linked to /usr/bin/realplay, so /usr/bin/realplay will (should) work.

I've just been playing around with this and in about:config with or without the full path it works the same perhaps because of the script in /usr/bin however it never hurts to use the full path. Jim if you have everything as it should be I do not know why it is not working for you. I'm now lost.

OK, I've just un-installed Realplayer and re-installed it by Arctic's method. Then I put in the path usr/bin/realplay in about:config. When I clicked on the BBC link and chose Launch in stand alone player, Realplayer was this time listed. However, the embedded player was lost and put up the missing plug-in message. Then, for science, I uninstalled it again and re-installed it by clicking on the rpm. This time, when I launched the same clip with the stand alone player the only programme that I could choose was gxine. However, the embedded player was happier and put up realplayer only to promptly replace it with a white screen.

In both instances, the embedded player doesn't work and launching the clip with the stand alone player results in Realplayer starting, but only with sound!!!

OK now I'm getting a better picture. Remove the rpm and re-install using Arctics method. You seem to get the same result as I do. A white screen. This is why I have to launch the stand alone player. You should have video and sound with that method.

I have found out that RealPlayer uses scripts and possibly the BBC embedded player does not support them, this will be why we have to use the stand alone player. Why you do not have video is a different story. What happens when you use the beeline.tv website?

Edited by SilverSurfer60

Guest VilasIndia

which version u have reinstalled free or power plus. Instead of using tar & compling the package simply go to Mandriva control centre and update the sources in the pakages. add Main update, Contribe etc and close. Click Install packages select update or Non installed. Search required packagess and installed whatever you want.

Hi VilasIndia,

I have Mandriva Free. All the sources are up to date. I have downloaded Realplayer via two methods: using the rpm found on the Realplayer site (I didn't download the tarball) and by SOS. The problem appears to be in the configuration of something rather than in the installation. Realplayer does work, it just doesn't do what it's supposed to do! Actually, it worked perfectly last night, but now I only get sound.

OK, the cold boot did the trick! I'll test it out more thoroughly later - I have to get my son from school!