Re-installed Mandriva 2007.0 but... [solved]

Jimtim

:sad: Sorry, this doesn't work. I made a link to the plugins (to nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt) in the hidden Mozilla directory - no result - then I tried Greg's method of making a link in the components directory (to nphelix.xpt)- the same. It really seems from where I'm sitting that the problem is that Mandriva absolutely wants to open up the links with mplayer, but that it can't becasue it doesn't have the Realplayer codecs (can I copy them into mplayer?).

Is there a way of completely wiping out both mplayer and Realplayer from the system (I ask this because I have tried using urpme but this method doesn't totally erase the programmess)? If I could do that, then perhaps I could re-install Realplayer and Mandriva would use it to open the links? I should add that I have already tried removing mplayer, but that all that happens is that I get a blank screen.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now we have got this far the thing to do is open firefox and type in the address bar about:plugins there you should see all the plugins that have been installed into firefox. Report back. Don't try and uninstall anything and definitely don't copy the codecs into mplayer.

OK, I have some good news :D :D :D But first the plugins. I've copied the relevant ones below:

VLC multimedia plugin

File name: libvlcplugin.so

VLC multimedia plugin

version 0.8.5 Janus

VideoLAN WWW: http://www.videolan.org/

MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled

audio/mpeg MPEG audio mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega Yes

audio/x-mpeg MPEG audio mp2,mp3,mpga,mpega Yes

video/mpeg MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe Yes

video/x-mpeg MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe Yes

video/mpeg-system MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob Yes

video/x-mpeg-system MPEG video mpg,mpeg,mpe,vob Yes

video/mpeg4 MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes

audio/mpeg4 MPEG-4 audio mp4,mpg4 Yes

application/mpeg4-iod MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes

application/mpeg4-muxcodetable MPEG-4 video mp4,mpg4 Yes

video/x-msvideo AVI video avi Yes

video/quicktime QuickTime video mov,qt Yes

application/x-ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes

application/ogg Ogg stream ogg Yes

application/x-vlc-plugin VLC plugin Yes

video/x-ms-asf-plugin Windows Media Video asf,asx Yes

video/x-ms-asf Windows Media Video asf,asx Yes

application/x-mplayer2 Windows Media Yes

video/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv Yes

application/x-google-vlc-plugin Google VLC pluginaudio/wav :WAV audioaudio/x-wav::WAV audio: Yes

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible

File name: nphelix.so

Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version 0.4.0.622 built with gcc 3.2.0 on Jul 18 2006

audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealPlayer Plugin Metafile rpm Yes

Google VLC multimedia plugin 1.0

File name: mplayerplug-in-gmp.so

mplayerplug-in 3.25

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2 Widgets

application/x-google-vlc-plugin Google Video Yes

QuickTime Plug-in 6.0

File name: mplayerplug-in-qt.so

mplayerplug-in 3.25

Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

video/quicktime Quicktime mov Yes

video/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yes

image/x-quicktime Quicktime mov Yes

video/quicktime Quicktime mp4 Yes

video/quicktime Quicktime - Session Description Protocol sdp Yes

application/x-quicktimeplayer Quicktime mov Yes

application/smil SMIL smil Yes

RealPlayer 9

File name: mplayerplug-in-rm.so

mplayerplug-in 3.25

audio/x-pn-realaudio RealAudio ram,rm Yes

application/vnd.rn-realmedia RealMedia rm Yes

application/vnd.rn-realaudio RealAudio ra,ram Yes

video/vnd.rn-realvideo RealVideo rv Yes

audio/x-realaudio RealAudio ra Yes

application/smil SMIL smil Yes

Windows Media Player Plugin

File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so

mplayerplug-in 3.25

application/asx Media Files * Yes

video/x-ms-asf-plugin Media Files * Yes

video/x-msvideo AVI avi,* Yes

video/msvideo AVI avi,* Yes

application/x-mplayer2 Media Files * Yes

application/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yes

video/x-ms-asf Media Files asf,asx,* Yes

video/x-ms-wm Media Files wm,* Yes

video/x-ms-wmv Microsoft WMV video wmv,* Yes

audio/x-ms-wmv Windows Media wmv,* Yes

video/x-ms-wmp Windows Media wmp,* Yes

video/x-ms-wvx Windows Media wvx,* Yes

audio/x-ms-wax Windows Media wax,* Yes

audio/x-ms-wma Windows Media wma,* Yes

application/x-drm-v2 Windows Media asx,* Yes

audio/wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yes

audio/x-wav Microsoft wave file wav,* Yes

mplayerplug-in 3.25

File name: mplayerplug-in.so

mplayerplug-in 3.25

video/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes

audio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes

video/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes

video/x-mpeg2 MPEG2 mpv2,mp2ve Yes

audio/mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes

audio/x-mpeg MPEG mpg,mpeg Yes

audio/mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yes

audio/x-mpeg2 MPEG audio mp2 Yes

video/mp4 MPEG 4 Video mp4 Yes

audio/mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes

audio/x-mpeg3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes

audio/x-mpegurl MPEG url m3u Yes

audio/mp3 MPEG audio mp3 Yes

application/x-ogg Ogg Vorbis Media ogg Yes

audio/ogg Ogg Vorbis Audio ogg Yes

application/ogg Ogg Vorbis / Ogg Theora ogg Yes

video/fli FLI animation fli,flc Yes

video/x-fli FLI animation fli,flc Yes

video/vnd.vivo VivoActive viv,vivo Yes

application/x-nsv-vp3-mp3 Nullsoft Streaming Video nsv Yes

video/divx DivX Media Format divx Yes

video/vnd.divx DivX Media Format divx Yes

audio/basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yes

audio/x-basic Basic Audio File au,snd Yes

Now for the news. Id don't know why I hadn't thought of this before, but I've just tried in Opera and IT WORKS!!! Well, nearly, there's no sound. Any suggestions?

Staying with firefox for now I notice that mplayer plugin is set to play realplayer files. To set this start your BBC player and when it loads mplayer instaed of realplayer right click in the video window and select configure from the pop up menu. In the list of selections you will find one that says something like play real player files. Un-select it and quit the configuration. Quit the video player and re-open it and you should be OK. As for the no sound in opera I'm not sure.

I've just found a partial solution :woot::banana:

It's simple really. When the BBC menu comes up, I click Launch in stand alone player then save to disk. A link is then placed on the desktop. When I double click this I can choose which programme I want to open it with (as you may remember, I can't do that in the window that appears when I click on Launch in stand alone player as I can only choose mplayer here). Then I choose Realplayer and tick Remember application association for this type of file . Then, all I need to do is double click the link on the desktop and it starts.

I think this shows that the problem is more likely to be with Firefox than with Realplayer (and I have already seen that it works with Opera). I think that it is as I said earlier - correct me if you think I'm wide off the mark - Firefox cannot find Realplayer and so doesn't include it on the list of programmes that are capable of reading the link. It then tries to use what it can find, which is mplayer, and fails because mplayer doesn't have the real codecs.

But if this is the case, why me? We can hardly say it's something I've done as I have a spankling new system freshly installed. I wonder if it would have worked better if I had started off doing it with Firefox 1.5 before downloading Firefox 2.0? ;)

Well I'm glad you got this far Jim, you can watch the news that way. The only other possible solution I can think of is the BBC window that comes up. In the top right corner is preferences. Did you change this at all because it defaults to windows media, you can change it to realplayer, but as I said way back I still have to open the video in a stand alone window to watch so I'm thinking the way you are doing it is probably the best. I have used the link that Greg2 suggested to watch and that plays fine it's just the BBC one that plays up. Anyway I think we can say for now :thumbs: sorted. :jump:

Yesssssssssssssss! Now we're there!!!!!!! Yipppeeeeeeee! With Opera at least!

I simply copied the two nphelix files into the Opera plugins directory and it all works perfectly! That suits me, Silversurfer, we've solved that one! :thanks: I'd never have managed without you!

Now, if you've got enough energy, I have a couple more little problems...But I'll wait till tomorrow! Best go to bed on a victory! I'll post a new thread in the morning! :D :P

Thanks once again

Jim

This is the link that I tried last night. In fact, it does work! Last night I clicked on the Albanian television link, the one that works on Greg's system, and concluded that because it didn't work, there was still a problem somewhere. This morning I tried again, and some of the channels do work. In Firefox I have to save target onto my desktop so that I can choose the programme, but Opera usually allows me to choose the programme I want without doing this.

Incidently, the messages I get on the links that don't work might be revealing:

With Firefox I get:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't assoicated with any program.

With Opera I get (and it is the same links):

The address is unknow or unsupported.

By the way, it might be interesting for you to know that when you want to watch a BBC clip, in Opera it is possible to do this within the BBC player: it isn't necessary to launch it in the stand alone player. It really does seem to me that Opera is a lot easier and more efficient at media treatment than the new version of Firefox.

It looks pretty well then that we have solved my problem. :party0046::ps3banana::evilbanana::bananacha:

Now I have a couple more problems to resolve, and then my migration to Linux will be complete! :D

With Firefox I get:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (rtsp) isn't assoicated with any program.

The answer to that one is here https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=304060, courtesy of Greg2

With Opera I get (and it is the same links):
The address is unknow or unsupported.

The answer to that is even easier in Opera:-

Select from the tools menu, preferences -> advanced -> programs.

Add, enter the protocol rtsp and the program to associate realplay

By the way, it might be interesting for you to know that when you want to watch a BBC clip, in Opera it is possible to do this within the BBC player: it isn't necessary to launch it in the stand alone player. It really does seem to me that Opera is a lot easier and more efficient at media treatment than the new version of Firefox.

I agree with that but then again I think the BBC site must hold some responsibility for that.