Re-installed Mandriva 2007.0 but... [solved]

Jimtim

:idea2: Hang on!!!! I've just noticed something! Your little squiggle has appeared again and there's a dot in front of mozilla. Oh for the little details! :P Now I think I understand - I hadn't seen, or paid attention, to these little things before! You've just told me that your squiggle thingy means home directory and, I remember from one of my first posts that the dot means hidden file. Right! OK, I've been trying to link with the Mozilla file in the root directory - this isn't right is it?

I'll check before I do anything.

1) I cd the hidden mozilla file in my home directory

2) I cd usr/local/Realplayer/mozilla

3) I copy the two files nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt in the hidden mozilla file

4) I restart Firefox and...everything should be hunky dory.

Do you agree with this? :o

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes with caution. You need to do the copying whilst using root permissions. I would normally do this via a shell terminal. I don't know how you are going to do it. If you have a problem with this let me know and I'll walk you through it. You will use this method quite often so it's worth getting it right and be confident. If you know and have used the su root method then carry on and you will have a working RealPlayer.

As SilverSurfer60 has noted: Copy or link nphelix.so to your Mozilla plugins directory and nphelix.xpt to your Mozilla components directory.

Not quite Jim, because you won't find a Mozilla components in your .mozilla directory. Either copy or link both the files into ~/.mozilla/plugins directory.

Please read:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#RealPlayer

[greg@halfway ~]$ cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1/components
[greg@halfway components]$ ls |grep nphelix
nphelix.xpt*

The nphelix.xpt provides scripting support for the Realplayer, and according to mozdev.org should be in the components directory. I'm not trying to confuse anyone or start an argument, but... mine works. :)

I'll eat humble pie Greg ;) It's just that when I started way back with mandrake 10 I installed RealPlayer and then one had to symlink not copy both the files into another directory, I forget which now, and I was thinking of back then. Accept my apologies, I stand corrected. Anyway I have both files linked in my ~/.mozilla/plugins directory and that also works :huh2:

The only person I'm worried about confusing is Jim as we have come a long way to get to this point and I won't take offence I'm to old for that. ;)

I was confused, that's why I asked for clarification. But it's OK now - I understand.

OK I cannot find the plugins file. I will explain to you what I've got.

When I open the hidden mozilla file, I have one file called firefox, and an unknown file called appreg.

In firefox I have the following: a folder called jcrjvbb5.default, an empty document called migrated,

an HTML document called pluginreg, and a plain text document called profiles.ini.

I have taken a screen shot of what is in the folder called crjvbb5.default. As you can see, there is nothing in there that looks like plugins (except extensions, but that's not the same, is it?):

What do I do next?

post-18887-1174851962_thumb.jpg

No this is not right Jim. When you open the hidden folder not file you should have another folder named plugins as well as the folder you describe firefox. Let's talk Linux and give theses folders the correct name which is directory. Folders are windows things. From what you say you are in your_home_directory/.mozilla (note the dot) it is this directory that should contain two more sub-directories firefox and plugins. If you don't have the latter one create it, then copy the nphelix.so file into it, leave the firefox one.

Let me know what happens then.

Greg2 beat me to it.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

If you have a look in /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.1 there you will find the components directory. If you wish you can put the nphelix.xpt in that one. I myself have it in the plugins directory where I put the nphelix.so file. RealPlayer works for me like that.

Don't create the components directory you could start confusing mozilla and/or firefox.

I don't want to sound dim, but I really must check everything. You're saying that I need to create a directory called plugins in the hidden mozilla directory, into which I will create a link to nphelix.so; then I need to find the components directory in file /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox-2.0.0 into which I will create a link to nphelix.xpt.1. I need to check this because sometimes it sounds like they go in the same place. For example:

As SilverSurfer60 has noted: Copy or link nphelix.so to your Mozilla plugins directory and nphelix.xpt to your Mozilla components directory.

Anyway, need to sleep now :zzz: , I'll post tomorrow after work!

Thanks once again!

Have a sleep on it jim it will come clearer tomorrow. The quote you have put in was from Greg2. I say to put both in the same directory that is ~/.mozilla/plugins Forget about the components directory.

Goodnight :zzz:

Edited by SilverSurfer60