Mandriva ist Rad

hey yo. just wanted to comment on my elation over Mandriva. i installed it nearly a week ago, but hadn't really got into using it till today. i must say i'm impressed. i've fooled around only a little bit w/ Ubuntu-- i see what they're trying to do there, and it wasn't for me. i've used FC5 since late May 06, and i've liked it a lot. to me, Ubuntu seems like "FC5 Lite for Dummies"... or something...

but Mandriva. now this is cool. if there is any argument about which GNU Linux Distro is the most viable candidate for, lets say, installation on Dell PC's, or the horribly over-argued "which is the best Windows XPatriot distro?", clearly the resolve is Mandriva, no? granted, i haven't yet tried SuSE or Debian, but this is nice. Mandriva, I like i like.

EDIT: hmph! i'd swear even GIMP seems "better" here. i suppose it has a lot to do simply w/ Packages being a bit newer than when i first installed FC5 10 mnths ago, but regardless of the "reason", the improvement-- overall, is remarkable. now i face the challenge of dealing w/ all of my FC5 "stuff" -- i've got Mandriva here on a 20GB just for testing, while the BULK of my stuff is on FC5 at 120GB. unfortunately, my Home directory is under ./ on that drive, so i guess i cant simply "install around it". (suggestions anyone?) i don't really have enough HDD space on other drives to temporarily swap data either (not to mention the prerequisite patience for such a task). hmm... time to do some shopping perhaps? anyone know of some great deals on 120GB (and larger) drives? ;)

P.S. i was gonna say that i was looking for a "Mandriva Rocks" category, but i see that the closest is probably "News, Discussion, and Chat: Linux". hmm... wonder if it's a worthy consideration? (not necessarily by that name of course. ;)

Edited by Stanley H. Tweedle

How much do you really have in the /home in redhat???.

You may be able to burn it to a cd-rw or a dvd-rw ( or even a couple). Might be a good ides to save that data permanently so use cd-r or DVD-/+-R instead.

When you do that and clear redhat, if you haven't created a /home in your present Mandriva then I would suggest do a reinstall of Mandriva and this time create a seperate partition for /home and even seperate partitions for Music (largest one) and a seperate one for Photos and Graphics (pictures), especially since you would be unlikely to have any data to be saved just yet. And if I might make a further suggestion....use Grub as your bootloader if you are not already doing so.

Are you using Mandriva2007 or an earlier one??. In the very near future (maybe weeks only) Mandriva 2007-1Spring will be released.

If you think your present Mandriva is "cool" then you will get your socks knocked off by the new one, I can assure you.

Welcome to MUB and have fun.

Cheers. John.

Are you using Mandriva2007 or an earlier one??. In the very near future (maybe weeks only) Mandriva 2007-1Spring will be released.

It's scheduled to the 4th of april but they are already 10 days late so I think it still has a month to come out. Meanwhile Stanley if you're interested you can help test Mandriva Spring RC1. There are 2 live CDs among other formats so you don't have to install it if you don't want to.

hey yo. just wanted to comment on my elation over Mandriva. i installed it nearly a week ago, but hadn't really got into using it till today. i must say i'm impressed. i've fooled around only a little bit w/ Ubuntu-- i see what they're trying to do there, and it wasn't for me. i've used FC5 since late May 06, and i've liked it a lot. to me, Ubuntu seems like "FC5 Lite for Dummies"... or something...

Sorry, you are comparing FC5, which was released in Mar-06, and superseeded by FC6 in Oct-06, with Mandriva 2007 Released in the same month as FC6? Doesn't look like a sound basis for comparison IMO, but if you wish to compare a freshly picked Royal Gala with a not so fresh Golden Delicious, then I suppose that's your prerogative!

P.s. it should be relatively easy to use mandriva's partitioning tools to mount your old fedora partition as home, clear out the old FC5 system files and keep your home directories as they where, the only thing is that you would have to log in as root from gdm/kdm. If you log in as a normal user, then try to run the partitioner as root, it will refuse to mount home, at least it has done for me, a long time ago though. There really shouldn't really be any need for a re-install to do it, and the gui tools are there to do it.

Sorry, you are comparing FC5, which was released in Mar-06, and superseeded by FC6 in Oct-06, with Mandriva 2007 Released in the same month as FC6? Doesn't look like a sound basis for comparison IMO, but if you wish to compare a freshly picked Royal Gala with a not so fresh Golden Delicious, then I suppose that's your prerogative!
But you still get a "feel" for what the distribution is like, even if it isn't the most recent (one release back isn't bad) - so, if you don't like how it runs, then that's it ;)

"FC5 Lite for Dummies"... or something...

You better to take that back. If you want to use Ubuntu in hardcore/elite mode there's options for that.

Edited by Artificial Intelligence

"FC5 Lite for Dummies"... or something...

You better to take that back. If you want to use Ubuntu in hardcore/elite mode there's options for that.

Yes, there are options for that but this is his personal opinion and he is entitled to it.

Yes, there are options for that but this is his personal opinion and he is entitled to it.

Right, but I'm just correcting him, that if he wants it more difficult or want to have some challenge in Ubuntu there's plenty of ways. He probably didn't know better.

Edited by arctic

But you still get a "feel" for what the distribution is like, even if it isn't the most recent (one release back isn't bad) - so, if you don't like how it runs, then that's it ;)

I agree with what you are saying there mate, but the point I was trying to make is that there where significant changes between FC5 and FC6, one of them being pup, which makes a significant difference to the feel of the distro IMO. I just feel that given the pace of change, it would have been more sensible to make comparisons on distro's that where of roughly the same age, and then make a decision. Like I said, it's up to the o/p to decide on the basis for making his choices.