Improving K Menu + Log in

Guest jonny

Guest jonny

Is there any way to improve the menu to resemble something more similar to that used by SuSE 10.2?

Also, how do you change the log in screen picture and the boot screen? I have tried editing the log in screen options so that it displays 'no picture' and 'vertical gradient' but when the computer boots the gradient is shown for perhaps half a second before the 'mandriva free' login screen loads over the top, how do I fix this?

Cheers

moved from Art & Design by phunni

• 1 month later...

I guess installing the Suse menu should be possible. I've seen a polish distribution of Mandriva which use the Suse menu (Kickoff). There are also alternatives like "tasty menu" and kbfx. Have a look at http://www.kde-look.org. If you use Beryl and want transparent menus, see this thread: http://forum.beryl-project.org/viewtopic.p...DE+menus#p25858

You can edit the login and boot screen from "Kcontrol" - Kdm themes (system administration) & splash screen (look & themes, I think). I'm not sure if the kdm themes part is installed by default. You may need to install kdmtheme.You can also choose to use gdm login from the Mandriva Control Center's system tab, if you like. You'll need to install gdm first though.

Sorry I cannot give you the exact names of the locations in MCC and Kcontrol, because I use a danish system.

Good luck

[question]BTW as I recall I was able to do these settings (kdm themes, splash etc.) from the MCC in Mandriva 2007.0. Or?

I cannot find these settings in 2007.1.[/question]

Edited by opvask

• 6 months later...

Hi!

I'm using Mandriva 2008.0 and because I wanted to improve my menu I installed KBFX ver. 0.9.4.3.1 from repositories.

[zibi1981@localhost ~]$ urpmq -i kbfx
Name		: kbfx
Version	 : 0.4.9
Release	 : 3mdv2007.0
Group	   : Graphical desktop/KDE
Size		: 1352941					  Architecture: i586
Summary	 : A kicker bar menu button replacement for KDE

It's working smoothly, but I have one problem with it. Whenever I log into Mandriva (KDE 3.5.7) and have KBFX applet on my kicker (panel), the icons of mdkapplet and net_applet are disappearing, although both programs are working in the background. It's happening almost every time. To have them back on my panel I have to kill them and then run again.

Anyone knows a solution have to solve this?

Jonny if you are using Mandriva 2008 then Kickoff menu is installed by default. All you have to do is right click on the menu button and choose the Kickoff menu style.

Zibi try to launch net_applet and mdkapplet after kbfx started. Those icons disappear in my experience when kicker restarts.

Zibi try to launch net_applet and mdkapplet after kbfx started. Those icons disappear in my experience when kicker restarts.

Yea, I noticed that too.

I don't understand your suggestion. As I described above almost every time I start Mandriva I have to kill and re-run those two processes to have their icons on my panel. What I want is to have those icons on their place without doing that. It's quite irritating.

Is there any way to improve the menu to resemble something more similar to that used by SuSE 10.2?

Sabayon uses that style of menu by default and I have to say I don't like it. It seems to take lots of clicks to find anything. You can find your favourites faster but if that is all you want then you can add shortcuts to your taskbar or desktop. I actually think the new Gnome menu style, as used on Sabayon, is much better then anything KDE are doing.

Yea, I noticed that too.

I don't understand your suggestion. As I described above almost every time I start Mandriva I have to kill and re-run those two processes to have their icons on my panel. What I want is to have those icons on their place without doing that. It's quite irritating.

I think kbfx restarts kicker when it starts that's why those icons don't show up. But that's just a theory. Anyway it's worth to try to add "sleep 5" where net_applet and mdkapplet starts. Or write a 3 line script something like:

sleep 5
net_applet &
mdkapplet&

and launch the script automatically when KDE starts.

Part of the problem is that Mandriva stupidly sets kdm to theme whether one is selected or not.

You need to open kdmrc as root and scroll down to find the following line... Use Theme=true and then delete the word true and substitute the word....false. Save the change. This nonsense has occurred over the last 3 versions of Mandriva and no one has bothered to fix it.

When you log out and back in again you will see a big difference.

Cheers. John.