G++ Compiler in Mandriva One CD

I am very new to linux and started working on a C++ project.

I am tyring to use mandrak one CD on my laptop (with windows Xp on it) by running through CD-ROM. Mandrake doesn't have g++ compiler in it. Can anybdy help me with that....like where to get it? do i have to pay for it? and ofcourse how to install it?

Thanks a lot guys.

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Well, according to wikipedia, gcc (GNU Compiler Collection) ver. 4.1.1 includes front ends for: Ada (GCC for Ada aka GNAT), C, C++ (GCC for C++ aka G++), Fortran (GCC for Fortran aka GFortran), Java (GCC for Java aka GCJ), Objective-C and Objective-C++.

$ urpmq -i gcc-c++
Name		: gcc-c++
Summary	 : C++ support for gcc
Description :
This package adds C++ support to the GNU C compiler. It includes support
for most of the current C++ specification, including templates and
exception handling. It does include the static standard C++
library and C++ header files; the library for dynamically linking
programs is available separately.

I think Mandriva have splitted gcc to many packages.

Splitting something that complex into separate packages isn't all that unusual. If someone wants to compile c++, they get gcc and gcc-c++. If they only want to do Ada, they get gcc and gcc-ada (or whatever it's called). So you only get the bits you need, and the common bits are shared in a separate package. It's fairly normal for Linux stuff, not just Mandriva.

So if you ask to install gcc-c++ that package says "hey, I need gcc, if you want to install me, you need to get the gcc package too". So all your dependencies are worked out.

However the original question was about running Mandriva One from CD. You do know, that nothing is saved back to the CD, don't you? So if you run from CD, and then add your g++ compiler, then it'll work, but when you reboot from the CD it'll be gone again. That could be annoying for you, depending on how often you're using it.

Splitting something that complex into separate packages isn't all that unusual. If someone wants to compile c++, they get gcc and gcc-c++. If they only want to do Ada, they get gcc and gcc-ada (or whatever it's called). So you only get the bits you need, and the common bits are shared in a separate package. It's fairly normal for Linux stuff, not just Mandriva.

I didn't know that. Learning something new every day :P

However the original question was about running Mandriva One from CD. You do know, that nothing is saved back to the CD, don't you? So if you run from CD, and then add your g++ compiler, then it'll work, but when you reboot from the CD it'll be gone again. That could be annoying for you, depending on how often you're using it.

Thanks all for the replies. They were really helpful.

Neddie: You are right that I have to do it everytime I reboot my system.

I have windows XP on my system. Is it possible to make it dual boot and install mandriva also? How much space mandriva require? And can I access my windows files from mandriva if I install mandriva(with windows as a dual boot)? Also, will my wireless card (internet connection) work in madriva?

I know I am asking a lot of question, but I am confused about what should I do.

Thanks a lot guys.

Another question:

To install mandriva on my system, do I need to download all three CDs from their website?

i.e. http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

My only worry is that, they keep on saying "trial"...so i am confused whether its a "trial" version or comeplete version on which, if I save some setting it will stay the way I saved them OR they will change on every reboot.

If I download the whole package from their site then will I be able to install it the way Windows XP is?

Thanks.

If I understand right, you're already running Mandriva 2007 One CD, right? So you don't need to download another 3 CDs of stuff just to install it - you can run the installer from the One CD. The icon should be on the desktop. It will install the basics, and then you can grab all the other stuff over the network.

Yes, you can install Linux on an XP machine - I suggest you look at the wiki - there is a page on there about installing Mandriva which might answer some of your questions.

I suggest that if you have more questions specifically about the install, then you start a new thread for them in the "Installing Mandriva" section of these forums so that people see it more easily.