Can't Burn audio CDs using FLAC files in K3B

RadioEar

As for the plugins, mine contains the K3b FLAC Decoder under AudioDecoder. As for the packages you can't seem to install or find, they all seem to be in the main-source of urpmi. Maybe you should update them or change to a different server. You could also find them here. For instance:

liboggflac3-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

libflac7-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

libflac++5-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

flac-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

Or are you using Mandriva 2006 x86_64?

All of the above are now in stalled, although some were already installed. Still NO success. :wall:

and no, I don't think I'm using Mandriva 2006 x86_64.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After installing the packages, did you get K3b FLAC Decoder under AudioDecoder in the plugins-section of K3b? And how do you burn a audio-cd with K3b? "New audio project" and dragging the flac-files to the Audio-cd0 field, or?

After installing the packages, did you get K3b FLAC Decoder under AudioDecoder in the plugins-section of K3b? And how do you burn a audio-cd with K3b? "New audio project" and dragging the flac-files to the Audio-cd0 field, or?

"After installing the packages, did you get K3b FLAC Decoder under AudioDecoder in the plugins-section of K3b?"

No.

"And how do you burn a audio-cd with K3b? "New audio project" and dragging the flac-files to the Audio-cd0 field?"

Yes, drag and drop.

I've never played with flacs but I've got a plugin for k3b (listed as K3b FLAC Decoder, Version 2.1) in the list already, and having just experimented with ripping a CD track into flac, I can play them in mplayer. And when I drag the flac file into k3b, I can right-click and "Play Track" which also works fine. Haven't tried writing to an audio CD but at least that far k3b is quite happy.

Can you post the output of

rpm -qa | grep flac

because there seemed some confusion about what you have. And also grep for k3b to make sure we're on the same page.

Here you are neddie,

[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$ rpm -qa | grep flac
flac-1.1.2-4mdk
liboggflac3-1.1.2-4mdk
libflac++5-1.1.2-4mdk
gstreamer-flac-0.8.11-4.1.20060mdk
libflac7-1.1.2-4mdk
flac123-0.0.9-3mdk
[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$

I also found the K3B manual but it's less than stellar when it comes to plugins. for some reason the K3B manual was never installed....

[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$ rpm -qa | grep k3b
libk3b2-0.12.3-11mdk
k3b-0.12.3-11mdk
k3b-dvd-0.12.3-11mdk
[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$

Edited by RadioEar

Rats, I was hoping there would be something obvious missing from your lists but they're almost exactly the same as mine (except you've got "flac123" which I haven't got).

So it sounds like you've got flac properly installed, and I bet when you type "flac" from a console you get some friendly message about how to encode flac files. But maybe some KDE component is missing which integrates things together? (just a guess).

What happens when you use mplayer / amarok to play flacs, does it work? And when you look at an audio cd in Konqueror, do you see a FLAC directory as well as the mp3 and ogg directories?

"What happens when you use mplayer / amarok to play flacs, does it work?" Yes.

"And when you look at an audio cd in Konqueror, do you see a FLAC directory as well as the mp3 and ogg directories?" Yes.

I'm beginning think the key to this whole problem is in the plugins list, and I don't see any way to add a plugin.

Well there you go, I just gave it a whirl just out of curiosity, and it seems to work fine, created an Audio CD from flac files. I have nothing special installed that I know of, I do have all/most of the stuff mentioned earlier installed. Im using kubuntu not Mandriva.

I guess you just need to track down what it is that 'flicks the switch' RadioEar

shorty?

I'm using Mandriva 2007 and there's nothing shorty here. I'm not sure what's missing / misbehaving on your system, but it's probably something simple and not necessarily Mandriva's fault. scarecrow did say "if they can't be installed...", and you were able to install those flac bits ok.

A workaround has already been suggested, to convert the flacs to wavs before putting into k3b - not ideal but should work while you figure out how to fix the k3b plugin. Have you updated your system recently? Just to make sure you're not missing some old bugfix?

And do you get the same error message from k3b now, even after making sure all those flac bits are there? Can you post the error message, and if anything interesting comes up when you run k3b from the console then post that too.

shorty?

I'm using Mandriva 2007 and there's nothing shorty here. I'm not sure what's missing / misbehaving on your system, but it's probably something simple and not necessarily Mandriva's fault. scarecrow did say "if they can't be installed...", and you were able to install those flac bits ok.

A workaround has already been suggested, to convert the flacs to wavs before putting into k3b - not ideal but should work while you figure out how to fix the k3b plugin. Have you updated your system recently? Just to make sure you're not missing some old bugfix?

And do you get the same error message from k3b now, even after making sure all those flac bits are there? Can you post the error message, and if anything interesting comes up when you run k3b from the console then post that too.

I called K3B from the concole and something odd did come up ....

[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$ urpmq libk3b2
libk3b2

[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$ k3b   
[woodworker@THE_MACHINE ~]$ k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.
k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim

Any way... The error is from K3B is; "Unable to handle the following files due to an unsupported format:"

Edited by RadioEar

No I didn't "give up" on you :D

I was just trying to run k3b myself from the console to see if anything similar was printed out here, either when I started up or when I loaded/played flacs. But I don't see anything like that here.

It sounds a bit like k3b is trying to ask the system which plugins are there, and it's failing (wild guess). When I saw "slave" I thought of kioslaves, but I don't think this is them in this case. Have you tried searching for the error message, for example using Google?

Do have a standard KDE for your Mandriva 2006 or have you upgraded it somehow?