Can't Burn audio CDs using FLAC files in K3B

RadioEar

I have Mandriva Free running KDE 3.4. I noticed that I can rip Audio CDs to FLAC and play them as well. However under K3B I can not burn audio CDs using FLAC. What do I need to start using FLAC?

Amarok calls on K3B to burn but I get an error message that states FLAC audio is not supported from K3B.

What do I need to do to get K3B to use FLAC audio files to burn audio CDs?

Edited by RadioEar

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be really thick, but I just don't seem to be able to follow you ..., your first post is all about Linux/k3b/Amarok, and asks the question,

What do I need to do to get K3B to use FLAC audio files to burn audio CDs?

from which one could infer you are talking about Linux, yet, in your second post you say,

Yes, But!... I'm burning audio CDs in Windows under Windows Media Player 11

anyway, ... whether or not you are using Windows or Linux, you can not put your flac files on a cd and have them play in a normal cd player (create an audio CD), they first must be converted, whether you do this manually, or the program does it for you, it still must be done.

Now, I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything, but help me out here, I think I'm going insane, what you are trying to do is create an audio CD, ie, a CD that will play in normal CD players? correct? If so you must convert.

I must go and have a lie down now, you have totally blown my mind.

Edited by jagwah

anyway, ... whether or not you are using Windows or Linux, you can not put your flac files on a cd and have them play in a normal cd player (create an audio CD), they first must be converted, whether you do this manually, or the program does it for you, it still must be done.

i think he's saying that K3B won't accept the flacs when trying to burn an audio CD -- K3B doesnt know how to convert them to wav, so it can't burn an audio CD.

James

Yes, He then must convert them with another program, I use SoundKonverter, it should be able to be found in the repositories, or there are many other alternatives. Then he can burn the resulting .wav files to the CD using k3b, WMP11 or a short peice of 4x4 African Mahogany, but he must convert first.

Edited by jagwah

Does this help, or just hinder,

As with any lossless scheme, FLAC is also a popular archive format for owners of CDs and other media who wish to preserve their audio collections. If the original media is lost, damaged, or worn out, a FLAC copy of the audio tracks ensures that an exact duplicate of the original data can be recovered at any time. An exact restoration from a lossy archive (e.g., MP3) of the same data is impossible. A CUE file can optionally be created when ripping a CD. If a CD is read and ripped perfectly to FLAC files, the CUE file allows later burning of an audio CD that is identical in audio data to the original CD, including track order, pregaps, and CD-Text. However, additional data present on some audio CDs such as lyrics and CD+G graphics are beyond the scope of a CUE file and most ripping software, so that data will not be archived.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

Seems it may be possible if I am reading correctly, but the convert to .wav and burn is certainly easier.

Plus if you are worried about the quality of .wav,

Though a WAV file can hold compressed audio, the most common WAV format contains uncompressed audio in the pulse-code modulation (PCM) format. PCM audio is the standard audio file format for CDs at 44,100 samples per second, 16 bits per sample. Since PCM uses an uncompressed, lossless storage method, which keeps all the samples of an audio track, professional users or audio experts may use the WAV format for maximum audio quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV

anyway, good luck with it, hope you achieve what you are after, and have fun on the way :)

Edited by jagwah

jagwah, Yes, I understand your last post.

I have burned hundreds of audioCD's out of flac files with K3B, so you either miss some packages, or it is a Mandriva-specific bug (my burns are under Arch Linux, and I had zero coasters out of 250+ burns).

Yes, Maybe we're getting some where now, I hope.

How do we fix this?

What do I need?

Where do I go to get it?

I have the following packages installed and I can burn audio-cds with flac files with K3b.

- flac-1.1.2-4mdk

- gstreamer-flac-0.8.11-4.1.20060mdk

- libflac++5-1.1.2-4mdk

- libflac7-1.1.2-4mdk

- liboggflac3-1.1.2-4mdk

Hopes this helps.

- flac-1.1.2-4mdk .................................> Not found in list.

- gstreamer-flac-0.8.11-4.1.20060mdk....> I installed this.

- libflac++5-1.1.2-4mdk........................> Can't install, ???

- libflac7-1.1.2-4mdk.............................> Can't install, ???

- liboggflac3-1.1.2-4mdk........................> Not found in list.

Still No go.... I also added a list of plug ins for K3B....

Edited by RadioEar

As for the plugins, mine contains the K3b FLAC Decoder under AudioDecoder. As for the packages you can't seem to install or find, they all seem to be in the main-source of urpmi. Maybe you should update them or change to a different server. You could also find them here. For instance:

liboggflac3-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

libflac7-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

libflac++5-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

flac-1.1.2-4mdk> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=26&am...2-4mdk.i586.rpm

Or are you using Mandriva 2006 x86_64?

Edited by Gul Dukat