Can't Burn audio CDs using FLAC files in K3B

RadioEar

No I didn't "give up" on you :D

I was just trying to run k3b myself from the console to see if anything similar was printed out here, either when I started up or when I loaded/played flacs. But I don't see anything like that here.

It sounds a bit like k3b is trying to ask the system which plugins are there, and it's failing (wild guess). When I saw "slave" I thought of kioslaves, but I don't think this is them in this case. Have you tried searching for the error message, for example using Google?

Do have a standard KDE for your Mandriva 2006 or have you upgraded it somehow?

The standard out-of-the-box version.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you ran k3b from the console to get those error messages, did you also try to burn a flac file in the same session? If you did not, try that out and post any new error messages that appear please :) - not the one that appears in the GUI, because that's somewhat generic, error messages in the terminal can sometimes be more specific - naming specific missing files and things of that nature.

I'm going to read through this some more and see if I can't find anything we might be missing...because it seems we're missing something. My first instinct is to say that the necessary libs aren't in your path, but that's obviously not true since other programs can play the flac files.

Also, try re-running k3bsetup as root.

Well I ran K3Bsetuo and a lot happened..... But not what I want.

[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]# k3b
[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]# k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inqu									   iry.
k3b: ERROR: (K3bDevice::Device) Unable to do inquiry.
QMultiInputContext::changeInputMethod(): index=0, slave=xim
ASSERT: "sortedFiles[ KatIndexer::Move ].count() == m_moveFiles.count()" in kati										   ndexer.cpp (1129)
[root@THE_MACHINE woodworker]#

Back to the drawing board....

Sounds similar:

http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20092

Do you have a DVD player on this machine, by any chance?

I'm assuming you've also googled for this error message and looked in the mandriva bugzilla?

Am I right in thinking that you can't make audio CDs from oggs or mp3s either? And that when you drag any of these files into k3b to make an audio CD, you can't press the 'play' button to hear the sound?

Do you have a DVD player on this machine, by any chance?
Yes a Sony.
Am I right in thinking that you can't make audio CDs from oggs or mp3s either?

No. OGGs for sure but MP3s I don't know.

And that when you drag any of these files into k3b to make an audio CD, you can't press the 'play' button to hear the sound?
Yes
I'm assuming you've also googled for this error message and looked in the mandriva bugzilla?

I'M at work now but when I get home I'll have time to check things out. Yeah, that looks interesting and I'll check that out too. But I still wonder what that bug has to do with handling FLAC audio files?

Edited by RadioEar

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's the end of this story, downloaded the Mandriva 2007 and fixed my flac file problem and then some. Any one surprised? Never really got to the bottom of why I could not burn audio CDs using flac files. At this point upgrading to Linux 2007 was a good deal for me.

So now this problem is moot, not solved, but moot.

Thanks for those who tried to help, greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Edited by RadioEar

• 3 weeks later...

I know I come a bit late, but I've read your log now and your problem seems that was attributed to kat (which you didn't disable).

Fortunately enough the kat is dead for good now (lost all nine lives of it) and we can all cheer- especially the Mandriva users.

Edited by scarecrow