Interest in a magazine for Linux newbies - by us

Darkelve

Just my 2 cents about video vs print:

Not everyone using Linux has broadband. Videos can be great for those who do, but may not be practical for those of us who don't. I know that I usually skip most things which require downloading a flash or video presentation (unless I desperately want them, and/or know exactly what they contain).

But I do save plenty of print articles. It makes it easier to go straight to the section I need at the time. Beagle also indexes them, so it takes seconds to bring up the search box & find what I need.

Now, regarding CLI vs GUI, a magazine should cater to both. Unless we want Linux to remain a minority OS just for geeks, we have to face the fact that many people used to Windows or Mac are used to using a GUI. Putting a magazine out aimed specifically at CLI will not do a great deal when it comes to getting more people to give Linux a try. I know that, because I have a relative who tried Linux a few years ago & gave up on it because he wanted a system which required less use of the command line. I'm slowly converting him back now that he's seen how easy it is to do things using KDE & other GUI's.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting a magazine out aimed specifically at CLI will not do a great deal when it comes to getting more people to give Linux a try

Everybody seems to agree with this. Actually if you reread the thread, nobody *ever* talked about it being CLI-centered. The issue is that Tux had nearly no CLI whatsoever, and an allergy to it even. So "we" wondered how much of it would be suitable.

The issue is how much CLI, and what level. I would say about "25% of mag at maximum", 10% min. There is a big chance the links will go into more command lines.

Typing konqueror &, or just konqueror, or konqueror `pwd`

and learning that bash completion exists is not that difficult.

I always felt Tux had a lot of picture that kind of advertised that software applications were nice looking, professional, or sometimes to show where one menu was, or to illustrate a point, but generally speaking I found the pics where quite meaningless (not bringing much)

Saying that, it makes an airy mag, pleasing to the eyes, encouraging, and good for advocacy. Hence I suggest the mag keeps the concept of at least near;y one pic per page (part of the concept of "total communication").

To Gowator:

Any idea how to extract quick articles from your concept of stub/html kind of book/database to make just one article.

So far from what you are proposing it is a bit like having as a backbone a wiki-like/book structure, with possibly different level of depth of knowledge on a given topic.

I can only see one solution, forcing the style of writting as modules of increasing complexity, or as a suit of sub topics of total noob levels

Example

Video | Audio | Wordprocessing | Admin of PC

then in video

Playing video | Extracting 1 picture from video | recording video | kino&co

then in playing video (GUI)

Using Xine tutorial | Using kaffeine | using Kplayer | Gmplayer

(All same level)

in parallel playing video (GUI) advanced

Tweaking | troubleshooting | Difference between players

but in playing video (GUI) there should be a link to mplayer most simple cli usage to play a dvd (then just a link saying learning further: mencoder)

Actually, Tux often said you can do that, but did go in to much details. It was really about opening doors, showing off what was there, and often just even quoting a software name. When you are new to linux, it is not easy to find that there is things like that post it / not taking software (which name I have forgotten again) tomboy?

Just my 2 cents about video vs print:

Not everyone using Linux has broadband. Videos can be great for those who do, but may not be practical for those of us who don't. I know that I usually skip most things which require downloading a flash or video presentation (unless I desperately want them, and/or know exactly what they contain).

Yep I have ultra fast broadband (22Mbit) but even so I tend to shy away from video ... its largely due to the "other reasons" you mention... firstly knowing exactly what is in it... Im actually looking at photoshop stuff right now for some blending for photo's (neddie posted a post on this and its renewed my interest) but the video tutorials I shy away from ... why? Mainly because I don't know what's inside before I download... (I think)

I am really a photoshop n00b so I need a definitive type tutorial .. that is the SAME ICONS and the SAME menu's and CS2 is significantly different to elements etc. By significant I mean enough to get me lost in this for me complex operation. (The way levels, channels and masks is handled is different and to be honest Im only half aware what these mean....) {time to do some reading}

So before I look at a video tutorial I want to be completely sure its for CS2 ...

Now the irony is maybe if I was a photoshop expert I could use the elements tutorial....

This is what I was saying about small changes screwing up n00b's... I honeslty need the icons and menu's to be the same.. not similar because its quite a complex operation .... I realise this might sound lame but its honestly true... if Im following a video tutorial for something Im a n00b at I want it to be definitive.

If we extend this to tutorials for say Mandriva then I think if I was a beginner doing disk partitioning/resizing or other "scary" operations I would feel the same....

The second reason is perhaps the fact after the video tutorial I will probably achieve what I wanted... (merging the two photos) but not understand how/why it worked the same as reading it and understanding masks and channels .... .

I realise this is my perspective but these are my main reasons ... not bandwidth which I have plenty of so adding bandwidth restrictions just compound this?

But I do save plenty of print articles. It makes it easier to go straight to the section I need at the time. Beagle also indexes them, so it takes seconds to bring up the search box & find what I need.

Yes this is another excellent point ... You can search withing them (and pdf's you can also use the acrobat indexer) so I have a few 1000 page photoshop books but I can jump stright to the pages I want (or think I want) and read a bit before trying to follow the tutorial....

Now, regarding CLI vs GUI, a magazine should cater to both.

I completely agree .. all I am saying is the CLI does have and always will have a place... and should not be ignored. N00bs need to be encouraged (not forced) to explore the possibilities ... (and the real power of linux) so they can get the most out of it...

Unless we want Linux to remain a minority OS just for geeks,

I sorta disagree here.... let me qualify that though....

You say minority OS for geeks in one sentence :D but if I can subtly reword that...

Geeks is used a little "negatively" ... so try substituting the word "enthusiast" .... ... meanwhile minoirity isn't always a bad thing... (or good thing) ... that is it has some plus's and minus's ...

So I think a lot of this is in presentation ... something the magazine can address :D

(just chopping your quote up here for consistency....)

I know that, because I have a relative who tried Linux a few years ago & gave up on it because he wanted a system which required less use of the command line. I'm slowly converting him back now that he's seen how easy it is to do things using KDE & other GUI's.

This is exactly what is needed IMHO .... but not excluding the CLI but explaining how/why ..

Not long ago someone here complained that something weas impossible to do throught the GUI in Gnome without the CLI... or root access to the desktop.

I don't even use Gnome but it took me 10 minutes (after installing it) to do it in the GUI...

However .. was it easier in the GUI ??? Not IMHO ... I could have pasted a single line to do this from the CLI...

In Western culture we say "The pen is mightier than the sword... in Japanese roughly translated they say "pen and sword in accord" .... In this context I say CLI and GUI in accord... one should be presented with the OPTION for both and the limitations of the GUI method (which is nearly always inferior to the CLI method not that it always matters)

Linux has evolved by way of analogy from a tempremental rally car to a well behaved but powerful street car.

(I have never seen so many Subaru WRX's as in Oz :D)

I have a rally tuned 306 ... 240 bhp which is incredible FUN but a lousy car to go shopping in... My brother has a AMG tuned SLK (again OZ seems to have the highest concentration I ever so) .. but they are completely seperate beasts ...

In a straight line I can do 0-100km/h in around the same time.. the SLK takes 4.6 ... secs but the SLK is much smoother ... According to http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp?...r1=81%26Car2=10 track times are about the same (despite the huge power difference in the merc (over 600 bhp) and even bigger torque difference ...

Linux used to be like a Rally car ... misbehaved, tempramental and unless you got under the hood (bonnet) regualrly liable to breaking... but this isn't where it ends ... the SLK has a sport mode and a civilised mode with engine management and traction control etc. switch off the electronics and its almost undrivable in the wet...

put them on and it will outperform the rally car on tarmac unless the driver is a REAL pro... My brother also has a Jag XK8 ... to be honest I find it completely DULL.... (so does he but its his company car) it goes quite fast .... it accelerates well and handles OK but it just FEELS dull....

Linux has its civilised face but underneath it is that huge 6l 600hp and 1000 nm s-1 monster... just waiting to be switched on...

OS-X is to me like the Jaguar... very comfy and really quite powerful but its all hidden away behind the civilised veneer... and like the Jaguar you can't just turn it on/off....

Linux is now like the SLK but with the pricetag of the Subaru or WRX car's.... and with the engine efficiency of developing 300 bhp from a 2l engine...(by analogy making the most of your PC hardware)

You can turn off the control (use the CLI) and unleash a monster.... noone is forcing you to use it but why spend the money on the AMG tuned SLK if you don't want to use it? If you want a powerful and comfy car then there are other cheaper options... and less confusing ones...

Also if you turn up at a race track with the SLK other woners will expect you to use the power .. IMHO why pay to use a race track if your going to leave it in "civilised mode" ...

In the oppostite direction I once had a driver across the desert (a 12 hr trip) who insisted using only the 4th gear (on road) for 1000 km... Why? His own car (not the agencies) only had 4 speeds and he was perfectly happy with it so why use the 5th gear on the land cruiser VX?

Erm... IMHO one really good reason.... we would have spent half the time refuelling .... (The guy could have had a permanently diff locked landrover he only used in low ratio ... but driving 1000miles on tarmac in it would be painful)

So Linux is a bit like buying a monster SUV or race tuned car and then not using it as intended if you "refuse" to ever use the CLI... Im not saying everyone should use it ALL the time... but people should be aware it is there and more powerful than the GUI.... otherwise they get to the sand dune and try climbing it in 2WD high ratio and wonder why it doesn't work....

Linux is infinitly tunable and tweakable... but most of the best (enthusiast) stuff is CLI dependent or at least more control/easier in the CLI... noone is forcing people to use it but ... if you are stuck in a SUV on a sand dune but refuse to use diff lock and 4WD then don't be surprised if the guy you ask to go out of his way to tow you resents the fact you refuse to engage the functions the SUV was designed with.

I don't mean that in a nasty way but people who just refuse on principle to use the CLI are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Often its much easier to help someone using the CLI... (because they can copy/paste exactly what you say/type) etc. compared to a long dran out set of GUI instructions...

Going back to the earlier real example.. the person complaining about the "safety swtich" of no root login and saying what he needed was impossible without it or the CLI followed the instructions the first time round ... and when they didn't work wondered why... it turned out he ws using gnome and we were giving instructions for KDE....

Again not an accusation, this just illustrates how the same thing could have been achieved through the CLI independant of DM/WM because as a n00b he hadn't thought to mention he was using Gnome...

The result was a lot of wasted time for those trying to help him BUT more seriously his impression of Linux was tainted ... his impression was "this is crap it doesn't work".... but really it was a combination of his n00bness and refusing to use the GUI that gave the impression....

I can give hundreds of examples... like "why do I loose 5% of my disk?".... or so which are GUI induced "inefficiencies" (even though diskdrake pets you change this in advanced tabs the GUI tends to propogte defaults because you don't read the man page)

we have to face the fact that many people used to Windows or Mac are used to using a GUI. Putting a magazine out aimed specifically at CLI will not do a great deal when it comes to getting more people to give Linux a try.

Hopefully I dealt with that?

But I still think Linux isn't for everyone.... or at least all of the people allof the time....

I dislike almost everything about XP but OS-X is a fine OS if you are not an "enthusiast" ....

It also illustrates the difference why....

If apple control the HW (i.e. they only certify what they want) then they can be almost 100% GUI based... and for most people who need to surf the internet and do office tasks 100% GUI based ... but if you ewant linux to be the same it would mean limiting the hardware and many of the kernel options...

The only way aroud this is to achieve a huge market share bigger than Windows...and this simply isn't happening soon nor likely since the way it is built and developed doesn't lend itself to this... *BSD might... hence the reason Apple used Darwin as a base not Linux :D but that is because the development model for BSD is different...and it is built differently...

Do I want to see more linux users? Yes .. but not at the cost of going the Apple route and excluding huge amounts of hardware... because if that is what I want ..I'll buy an Apple... (and I have considered it a few times)

Finally I think the CLI "geek" image is something projected negatively... I thiny many n00b's regard this as some sort of eliteism... because they are missing the point and it isn't explained WHY?

Its not really, its about being an enthusiast and getting the most out of your hardware and OS....

This is something the magazine could address.... I would be willing to write the articles etc.

Putting a magazine out aimed specifically at CLI will not do a great deal when it comes to getting more people to give Linux a try

Everybody seems to agree with this. Actually if you reread the thread, nobody *ever* talked about it being CLI-centered. The issue is that Tux had nearly no CLI whatsoever, and an allergy to it even. So "we" wondered how much of it would be suitable.

The issue is how much CLI, and what level. I would say about "25% of mag at maximum", 10% min. There is a big chance the links will go into more command lines.

That would be my take.... or its just a combination... i.e. supplimented with something like "CLI tricks and tips" which could be a link... for example IMHO a GUI tutorial should show how to achive the task but also note the limitations and then provide links or insets .... for users that want to explore....

I always felt Tux had a lot of picture that kind of advertised that software applications were nice looking, professional, or sometimes to show where one menu was, or to illustrate a point, but generally speaking I found the pics where quite meaningless (not bringing much)

Saying that, it makes an airy mag, pleasing to the eyes, encouraging, and good for advocacy. Hence I suggest the mag keeps the concept of at least near;y one pic per page (part of the concept of "total communication").

I agree completely because this gives it the magazine FEEL more than a text book....

To Gowator:

Any idea how to extract quick articles from your concept of stub/html kind of book/database to make just one article.

So far from what you are proposing it is a bit like having as a backbone a wiki-like/book structure, with possibly different level of depth of knowledge on a given topic.

I can only see one solution, forcing the style of writting as modules of increasing complexity, or as a suit of sub topics of total noob levels

I have a few... and I think the wiki concept is the way to go... perhaps some of the other members have ideas... I think tyme is quite into Wiki stuff??? and offered hosting etc.

Example

Video | Audio | Wordprocessing | Admin of PC

then in video

Playing video | Extracting 1 picture from video | recording video | kino&co

then in playing video (GUI)

Using Xine tutorial | Using kaffeine | using Kplayer | Gmplayer

(All same level)

in parallel playing video (GUI) advanced

Tweaking | troubleshooting | Difference between players

but in playing video (GUI) there should be a link to mplayer most simple cli usage to play a dvd (then just a link saying learning further: mencoder)

Actually, Tux often said you can do that, but did go in to much details. It was really about opening doors, showing off what was there, and often just even quoting a software name. When you are new to linux, it is not easy to find that there is things like that post it / not taking software (which name I have forgotten again) tomboy?

Yep I honestly think the planning and structure is the KEY....

Because its for N00bs then basing the structure around n00b stubs is probably the best way?

I envision perhaps using little insets.... like quote boxes with a small paragraph of text which can then link to more detailed articles...

What I think is important is metadata for the articles... in many ways like a DMS (doc management system) ...

This would, by my preference be embedded in the headers (XML?) so it can be searched in inventive ways...

For instance some fixed fields like experience level say 1-5 .... DM/WM specific, distro specific because I think a lot of "value" for the mag might be in the archives (previous editions) and as importantly linking back to previous editions...

For instance (since Im working on digital photo's now...) a series on digital photography.... over 12 months...but this would then have keywords for relevant SW and also hardware and reviews of SW and even cameras... and related news items like product releases ...

The basic presentation should be dual format.... by which I mean archive mode or monthly mode... in monthly mode you read linerarly wheras in archive mode you principally filter/search....

The basic idea perhaps something like a online computer parts store....

here is one example (search wiose not presentation)

http://www.dabs.com/

So you can search by item, brand etc. but also compare and find similar etc.

????

We can't convice each other with Gowator and at least 3 or 4 people expressed their opinion against video tutorials so it's pointless to debate over text versus video so I put an end to it.

Now something on topic.

Will this magazine be distro independent? Or Mandriva specific? Since a lot of people use other distros (too). I think the first one will apply.

The reason I asked it is that we are mandrivausers.org and we are on the edge of becoming somewhat official.

There is a Mandriva Mag but it seems like Adam don't really have the time to make a new one we can replace it too.

It would simplify matters in the magazine e.g. we wouldn't have to write how to install a specific software etc.

Will this magazine be distro independent? Or Mandriva specific?

Mandriva-centered I suppose, but...

What was the original poster intention?

An article on gimp is not distro dependent.

It is only the noob things about MCC etc which is mandriva

Tux was not distro dependent. Was KDE-centered though

This is more the key Kde vs gnome vs others

Say 80-75% GUI, software reviews & usage of Mandy, total noob

20 % just noob

5% much more advanced = Challenge curiosity

A wider audience would be good, no?

so in the 75% total noob, I would not have more than 1/4 Mandy specific

For instance some fixed fields like experience level say 1-5

I like that very much

I like the archive concept because it adds lots of value

(I know one could say with beagle the previous mags could be accessed, but would total noob use beagle? plus it is resource hungry).

Best have an overview so archives can be searched / updated.

It is just how you extract 1 episode, 1 mag, 1 issue

Tags, yes quite key. Cannot comment on "best" / most practical implementation.

Edited by emmanuel_uk

We can't convice each other with Gowator and at least 3 or 4 people expressed their opinion against video tutorials so it's pointless to debate over text versus video so I put an end to it.

Dexter, that isn't what anyone has said.... its 2 seperate issues ...(at least to me)

I'm not against "video tutorials"... I'm against "text versus video".

I (and I think everyone else) is quite happy to have video tutorials and/or links to them ... what I (and I think others are against) is the format being "video" based... and the issue of video completely replacing text...

I can see how video tutorials fit in and can even be linked together but I and I think everyone else is not convinced they can replace text in the context of a magazine.... (even a 21C magazine)

Now something on topic.

Will this magazine be distro independent? Or Mandriva specific? Since a lot of people use other distros (too). I think the first one will apply.

I tend to agree and if others are happy then I can contribute Debian stuff and the like ... but perhaps a Mandriva focus??? Personally I'd like to see a rather more equal footing of "other distro's" vs "Mandriva" than the format here where all other distro's are lumped together but I'm flexible if others want more Mandriva bias... but like Emmanuel says its not exclusive because a Gimpo tutorial is pretty much disto independant??

The reason I asked it is that we are mandrivausers.org and we are on the edge of becoming somewhat official.

There is a Mandriva Mag but it seems like Adam don't really have the time to make a new one we can replace it too.

It would simplify matters in the magazine e.g. we wouldn't have to write how to install a specific software etc.

Yes and No ??? This is how I see it at least with the different levels of articles...

I'll go with your Gimp example since its a good one....

We can have a Gimp tutorial at total N00bs but the "How to install part" should link to a general page on easy urmpi for Mandriva and Apt/Synaptic for Debian... Pacman for Arch etc.

Since the article is n00b based it doesn't need to go into compiling and installing the latest SVN version...but a footnote/link can go to how to install from source.... for advanced n00bs or people to look back on next year when they are no longer a complete n00b?

This is where I think the 21C format wins over the traditional magazine....because the ability to link into advanced topics and filter by experience level with give the end user more choice and flexibility...

Once again, Im not against video per se ... a short setting up easyURPMI video might be a nice thing at this point ... but the idea is that the easy urmpi is generic for all mandriva installs... like a FAQ... this is what I mean by the reference/archive sections...

Other links would then be to APT install or emerge .. again with optional video...

What I am against is structuring the magazine around video to the exclusion of text.... :wink: not video tutorials...

Again I believe we can avoid this.... we make the stubs... if someone wants to do Gnome they can... (it won't be me though) .. the idea is to take contributions (in my idea) and put the infrastructure in place to accept and publish them regardless of DM/WM or distro....

As I said we also have a lot of this already done here... we can copy posts and FAQ's (presuming noone minds) and also copyleft from other distro documentation.... (Im writing some sidux docs right now which are ALL copyleftable for instance the burning an ISO to CD in windows part) and that is I think the true spirit of Opensounrce and Opendocumentation .. the LDP has huge sections to be included.. perhaps modified or simplified but still stuff that can be copied and used as a base...Many of the FAQs here actually suffer from lackl of included graphics which could simplify them (many is the time I thought describing a roiuter config is somewhat arduous in ASCII art....:D )

router <-----> PC1 eth0 <----NAT----> eth1 -----> switch <---Wifi router --->> etc
:wink:

My perception might be a bit grand but I think its all possible...

20 % just noob

Seems like a good working base but my idea is that the stuff develops organically.... Wiki like so a user might follow a tutorial on say installing a Palm and find that their model isn't supported but work out how to hack their model... (usually adding 1-2 lines to modules.conf or whatever file depending on distro again this is where the links can help... with a table of equaivalents like if you need to edit module.conf in Debian you actually modify XXXX)

So in effect they add their note which extends the article, adds a more advanced level (editing on the CLI) etc.

I don't think thats a problem because the "archive" is really virtual....

Say the submissions are by month.... or bi monthly then they can be seen by for example a URL to ~/Jan2007/ but the reality is the documents are all just stored and viewing by month is just a use of the filter/order... simply put show all Jan2007 stuff ordered by page #

See the database/filter concept really gives huge flexibility... :D

My idea is to keep that flexibility to the maximum.... so you can text search, index search etc. and that if the concept is sucessful others (or ourselves) will write search routines and stuff....( I have a lot of professional experience doing this btw..:D ) so it becomes user/contributer driven....

The idea would be to use a pre-existing wiki type SW that is open so people can make "plug-ins" for searches and save searches they can share with everyone etc.

20 % just noob

Seems like a good working base but my idea is that the stuff develops organically.... Wiki like so a user might follow a tutorial on say installing a Palm and find that their model isn't supported but work out how to hack their model... (usually adding 1-2 lines to modules.conf or whatever file depending on distro again this is where the links can help... with a table of equaivalents like if you need to edit module.conf in Debian you actually modify XXXX)

So in effect they add their note which extends the article, adds a more advanced level (editing on the CLI) etc.

I don't think thats a problem because the "archive" is really virtual....

Say the submissions are by month.... or bi monthly then they can be seen by for example a URL to ~/Jan2007/ but the reality is the documents are all just stored and viewing by month is just a use of the filter/order... simply put show all Jan2007 stuff ordered by page

I like that, with maybe people (author) or editor putting a flag

that says publishable / published.

Reader, pdf maker/issuer select date + flag to extract 1 mag

I am hinting at stubs not finished, contributor wants to see it, pdf mag, or online noob does not want to see it

Do I make sense

I like that, with maybe people (author) or editor putting a flag

that says publishable / published.

Reader, pdf maker/issuer select date + flag to extract 1 mag

I am hinting at stubs not finished, contributor wants to see it, pdf mag, or online noob does not want to see it

Do I make sense

Yep good sense....

Im biassing my ideas by what I know .. one software is Joomla

and I'm not saying we should use it
there is probably something more suited but it demonstrates how this can be done in several ways....

1/ Firstly you have different levels from user-editor-publisher-administrator etc. so adding something can be done by anyone but its not published until an publisher accepts it... an editor can edit but not publish others work etc.

2/ The pdf generation is on the fly... all the articles are put together as HTML dynamically but when you want a PDF (or to print) it calls the pdf and its made dynamically.

As someone suggested landscape works best for onscreen reading so its set to make a landscape PDF...

So yep it would be set flag to Jan2007 and extract PDF.... or view online etc etc. or you could se tthe flag to a series (like I said maybe a 12 month running series and print out just that series) or make a PDF of it... so it would be all together ....

Thanks for the details about Joomla

Seems to fit the bill

There are only a few "content manager / editor", so it will be relatively easy to select one. No experience here.

As someone suggested landscape works best for onscreen reading so its set to make a landscape PDF...

I did, ;)

Again I believe we can avoid this.... we make the stubs... if someone wants to do Gnome they can... (it won't be me though) .. the idea is to take contributions (in my idea) and put the infrastructure in place to accept and publish them regardless of DM/WM or distro....

Way to confuse noobs is to start in all directions with WM

At the same time freedom is good!

Then a mag without editorial direction, style, just will lack identity.

This is where maybe saying mostly KDE will be used, and mostly mandriva,

but other WM, other distros are very welcome

All contribs taken, a preference may still exist in terms of telling contributor

please see if you can keep to kde, but if you use gnome, lets get your contrib in

and show diversity

I have some experience with computer sub-novice exposed to LINUX

even choosing a WM is confusing

You should focus on the three major DE's (KDE, GNOME, XFCE), and WM's can be sort of a side topic. To only focus on one DE will really cut down your readership, and it's not particularly hard to cover two or three. You could also keep in mind that if this is just a Mandriva magazine, then KDE would be more prominent, but the MCC is used in all the DE's.

Thanks for the details about Joomla

Seems to fit the bill

There are only a few "content manager / editor", so it will be relatively easy to select one. No experience here.

Well I didn't mean its the best tool...but I had it in the back of my mind while thinking of concepts, it might be OK or we mioght find something more suited to a magazine? The most important part for me is whatever we use has an open dev interface so people can contribute :D so I used this as an example because i know this is part of the standard install but something else might be better .... in a way this is a big project so "Joomla is dead easy to learn" doesn't count so much as overall features for what we need because we will spend a lot more collective time writing and editing etc. than EVER configuring the software :D

(Joomla is cool if you just want minimum learning ... and quick start but I honestly think the features are what will make this mag a success or not :D) by features I mean the 21C magazine

On DM's, Im with Tyme, it should do all 3 major ones (and including pro's cons of each).... when I say I won't be doing Gnome its not because I obect to it.. its because I don't know it well enough... but I honestly think one tight rule should be no WM wars.... they are all fine for different things/people .... and I'd rather give them equal weight...

(Id like to do lots but like Tyme says that can be added later) but in the end the weighting will be down to contributers and the best instruction is an athesit view of WM so that stuff is as muich as possible not focussed on one or the other unless the feature is about say advanced Gnome config then obviously that's different :D

and it's not particularly hard to cover two or three

and a lot of stuff is actually all three now with the common desktop files etc. so even better...

Edited by Gowator

I like Tux Mag, I usually got something helpful out of each issue. Especially the old issue that had the article about setting up your mandriva box to be able to print to a printer connected to a windows box. I followed the article, and after a little trial & error got it working perfectly. (the Zone Alarm on my windows box was not allowing the connection at first... but I figured that out myself...)

things like that article, about stuff that all home users may want to do, are very helpful.

I find the general linux mags (at the bookstores) too technical. Linux format is better, but too dang expensive in the US.

Edited by null

I wanted to ask if there is any interest in a magazine by Linux users, for Linux newbies (people new to Linux).

Since Tuxmagazine will not be free anymore, I think that created a void that should best be filled as soon as possible. Also, Tuxmagazine was good, but could use improvement as well. For example TuxMagazine didn't have any Gnome coverage at all. And even though I'm a KDE user, I think that's a shame.

But before starting on anything, I would like to poll the members of some forums:

- are you interested in such a magazine

- would you willing to contribute and if so, how? (and how regularly)

Some goals for the magazine (I'm just brainstorming):

- frequent: at least bi-monthly

- unbiased: Gnome & KDE, vi & emacs :P

- sustainable: should be relatively easy to transfer tasks to other persons if this is really necessary

- focus on the end user: the total newbie and the more experience "Linux n00b"

- a number of recurring popular features (e.g. distro reviews)

- freely downloadable

- collaboration between different forums/distro users

Your thoughts and opinions are very welcome!

Darkelve

I think its a GREAT idea, and yes i agree their is certainly a need for it,

there are so many minute differences that folks encounter when they move to linux, and so many people WANT to help others butperhaps are speaking a few notches ABOVE whats needed