Time for upgrading to 2007?

arctic

On 15 of September, Mandriva will release Mdv 2007, thus the isos will be uploaded during the next 48 hours - unless Mandriva stops it at the last second. If anyone is interested in getting Mandriva 2007 right now, without waiting for the free version hitting the mirrors in some four to six weeks or going through the hassle of an ftp-install (not all people like that), here is your chance:

Download the RC1 isos, add cooker mirrors with easyurpmi and upgrade your box. Then change your mirrors from cooker to normal repos again, when the official mirrors should be available on 15th. (Don't forget to deactivate cooker after 15th of September!)

I just updated my main machine to cooker (tested cooker on other partition before) and it is rock stable on my hardware. :thumbs:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is e.g. Kino, a very good video-editing tool (that is also being used in professional environments, e.g. at german TV-stations), of course the latest Firefox, Gimp, Openoffice, ..., the draktools got an overhaul (rpmdrake works now from one dialogue-window), urpmi got faster (especially with compressed index), menus got an overhaul, in Gnome there is e.g. the easy to use Gnome-CD-Master CD/DVD burner (Nice alternative to K3B if you want a Gnome-only desktop, can create iso-images, too), easy 3D Desktop configuration with the MCC (for those who really want to use it), additional tools for configuring/saving firewall configurations, modular Xorg, new look (of course) and a new menu-editor. I think you get the idea: There are quite a lot of changes this time. I cannot mention them all. :)

First impressions: Awesome. I wouldn't have upgraded already now if I would have had any doubts about this release.

Artic:

You are making Mandriva 2007 sound very attractive. I am fighting hard to resist the temptation of wiping my hard disk of a perfectly functional Mandrake 10.2 and installing the new Mandriva. I managed to fight off this temptation when Mandriva 2006 came out.

Must try to resist.......... :lol2:

Ok, arctic, you're very persuasive - at least to get me to try out a live version. Their "news" page mentions Mona (beta 1), Odin (beta 2) and Tyr (beta 3) - however when I go to the mirrors I can only find mona. Is that by design, are the other betas not for general release (yet)? Or does it just take a few days for the subsequent betas to get propagated?

I really hope it is an improvement. I've never complained about Mandrake/Mandriva since 8.2 even when other people said certain versions suck. But 2006 has given me nothing but problems. Maybe it just doesn't like my hardware in which case I'll have to look to another distro. I hope it works though cause I really don't want to switch.

Ok, arctic, you're very persuasive - at least to get me to try out a live version. Their "news" page mentions Mona (beta 1), Odin (beta 2) and Tyr (beta 3) - however when I go to the mirrors I can only find mona. Is that by design, are the other betas not for general release (yet)? Or does it just take a few days for the subsequent betas to get propagated?

Mona isn't a beta, it's a Release Candidate - it came after Odin and Tyr. So, chances are the mirror killed the old betas to save disk space since Mona is the most recent.

If your box works and if you are satisfied with it, then keep your current stable system on your box as long as you get security patches for it.

According to this:

http://www.mandriva.com/security/productlifetime

Mandriva stopped supporting 10.2(LE2005) on July 13, 2006. I'd say it's time for an upgrade.

I'm using 10.2 myself for my main OS and haven't seen a security update for months although I've picked up several for mdv2006 which I have installed on a "test" partition. I almost have mdv2006 stable now but it was a real pain to get it that way. It was terrible on my desktop hardware but worked great on my daughter's acer centrino laptop. I'm sure I'll be installing 2007 on another test partition as soon as it comes out; I always do.

Hi there,

I did the same as artic four days ago. I use several partitions so it is pretty easy to test new candidates whilst safely keeping my stable version (Mdv one updated via Kiosk). So I installed Mona, then upmi.removmedia -a then added the RPM sources via cooker then update all and urpmi --auto-select.

It's all going ok so far, I installed Azureus using the jre from java cause the jre1.5 rpm I has would not install. For the 3d no problem using the nvidia drivers BUT I have no succes with the 3d desktop (ie compiz) so far. I have tried quite a few games (tux kart, pp racer) and it all works fine.

I ve installed google eart beta 4 wich is fine excet that it seems a bit slower than on the "one" partition for some reason. I still have to use the Gimp with raw files from my Nikon D50.

I ve tried open office which is 2.0.3 but like in 2006 and One it takes 20 seconds to start which is far too long for me.

I ve tried Nvclock which works perfectly.

There we are, so far this is what I ve tried, I must say I quite like the change, It feels like a more noticeable progress compared to 10.2 ->2006 it is just a shame the 3d desktop is a struggle.

Stef

Does this release in a couple of days include a "bittorrentable" dvd for club members? (silver)
Don't know. Maybe you should ask AdamW at the official Mandriva forum.
Install the Mona RC1 CD. There won't be any more betas or RCs as the offical release will hit the mirrors tomorrow.

Bummer, not sure I'll get chance to get RC1 on and then Cooker in time before it's released tomorrow.

Guess I'm too late :cry:

Ah well, I'll wait for the 2007 repository to hit the mirrors, and then see if I can do a 2006 to 2007 upgrade and see if it goes pear-shaped :o

You can do an ftp-install. ;) The ftp-iso should be available for download immediately, like last year, when I got the ftp-iso for 2006 on release day and installed the system in roughly two hours.

Cool, I'll give that a go. I'm really looking forward to using it, but will probably mean, I'll start reinstalling all my machines again lol.

Well, maybe I'll try one first, just to make sure, and then move all the others later.