Time for upgrading to 2007?

arctic

There won't be any more betas or RCs as the offical release will hit the mirrors tomorrow.

Are you sure? I am going to follow your advice and install and update rc1 ASAP, just that I seen a post from awilliamson on the club forums yesterday which said,

we'll have to test this with RC2
Edited by jagwah

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...just that I seen a post from awilliamson on the club forums yesterday which said,

we'll have to test this with RC2

Well that is pretty interesting... but I doubt that they will release a second RC for just one day. Nowhere on the net there is a hint that they will postpone the release for a few days.

I hope they give it some more time, if only because I took a guess, and booked 2 weeks holidays starting 25th, so I could have a good uninterrupted mess around with 2007. This is my first Mandriva/Linux release, and [big Kev]I'm excited[/big Kev], most excitement I've had since the release of Quake4. sad isn't it

i tried to update my cooker install last night...

rebooted, couldn't find "fixed font". tried to use urpmi to re-installed some of the font packages and it went haywire :lol: - I was tired so I just went to bed, don't really care to fix it ;)

I wouldn't take the 15th as being the fixed date for release, they never managed that last year. Maybe things are different this time, and good on them for doing so, but nothing Mandriva should be taken to be concrete considering past releases.

Does this release in a couple of days include a "bittorrentable" dvd for club members? (silver)

Doubt it, if last year is anything to go by, those members, IIRC, will not be able to get it until a couple of days before retail is available, and that won't happen until the ISO's are validated and enough disks are pressed and ready for retail sale. This caused a fair bit of upset last year as Mandriva weren't very clear on this until the release date had passed and members were asking for the release.

Mona was good for an RC1 but not for a final RC so I hope they won't release it tomorrow.

Agree! I'd rather have a stable product a week later, than 'an early bird with a broken wing'... just my 2 cents...

Agree! I'd rather have a stable product a week later, than 'an early bird with a broken wing'... just my 2 cents...
Well, they haven't released it yet, which is good, because I found some minor bugs (and made bugreports of course) that I hope they manage to fix in time. :)

i tried to update my cooker install last night...

rebooted, couldn't find "fixed font". tried to use urpmi to re-installed some of the font packages and it went haywire :lol: - I was tired so I just went to bed, don't really care to fix it ;)

force reinstall x11-font-alias

I have been trying for three/four days to install Mona. It lives up to its name by making you want to mona lot. :wall::wall::wall: It is totally hopeless and while it seemingly installs OK it will not reboot to login.

It gives exactly the same symtoms that I posted in an earlier thread about the Kernel 2.6.17-* and to which I basically got no responses so I abandoned that thread.

That kernel would not work in my 2006-Official yet all other kernels up to 2.6.12-25 do. Keep in mind that Mona uses the same 2.6.17-* kernel as well so the problem seems to point fairly and squarely at the kernel or Mandivas changes to it. I use 2 of SATA-II 16mb 160Gb WDs but not running in RAID mode. ( I did my initial 2006 install and when everything was finally as i wanted then I setup a mirror array and when it was completed I broke the array again so I could use the 2nd SATA as an experimental base that had everything the same as my main OS)

It seems that it cannot handle SATA properly. During the bootup it stops at a point, which varies, and disables an irq, mostly irq 11 or 14 and others but this varys depending on how many or all off my pci cards that I physically removed. But it still will not progress past that point.

To try this theory, I temp installed an old 8gb ide hdd and installed to it and it seemed to handle this ok except that it would not properly load the bootloader onto a floppy with GRUB as I wanted.

I expected I might have a little problem or too with the RC version but nothing as drastic as this. I desperately hope this is not a sign of what the Official release will be like.. If it is then I will have to give serious condideration to finally leaving Mandriva and moving on to something else........not something I really want to do.

Cheers. John.