How do I set up Xgl/AIGXL on Odin?

Gul Dukat

Hi,

I'm running Odin and I would like to know how to set up Xgl/AIGXL? I've installed the nVidia-driver on this system and would have 3D-rendering. But after installing drak3d with urpmi an dtrying to enable AIGXL, my 3D-rendering is gone. My xorg.conf still says Driver "nvidia" but after I log in KDE wants to start and I'm getting this totally blue screen, as to whethet it's trying to laod something but can't find it, then it falls back to the login screen and I can login again and know KDE loads. But the 3D-rendering is gone and opening drak3d gives me Your system does not support 3D desktop effects, which is normal because my 3D-rendering is gone. How can I set up Xgl/AIGXL anyway?

Any help is much appreciated?

BTW this is my xorg.conf:

# File generated by XFdrake (rev 55135)

# **********************************************************************
# Refer to the xorg.conf man page for details about the format of
# this file.
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"
# font server independent of the X server to render fonts.
FontPath "unix/:-1"

# minimal fonts to allow X to run without xfs
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
#DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
#DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us(alt-intl)"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 6 7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "monitor1"
VendorName "Plug'n Play"
ModelName "hp f50s"
HorizSync 31-60
VertRefresh 56-75

# TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
# 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 50.00  768  832  846 1000   576  590  595  630

# 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
ModeLine "768x576"	 63.07  768  800  960 1024   576  578  590  616
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corp."
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce4 (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "screen1"
Device "device1"
Monitor "monitor1"
DefaultColorDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 8
	Modes "1024x768"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 15
	Modes "1024x768"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 16
	Modes "1024x768"
EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
	Depth 24
	Modes "1024x768"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Edited by Gul Dukat

Oke, I managed to disable XGL by editing the file: /etc/sysconfig/xgl and change "Yes" to "No". And this got my 3D-rendering back. BTW, the x11-server-xgl is also installed. I also saw that XGL makes use of the nVidia proprietary driver, of which I've installed the latest version.

Edited by Gul Dukat

Aixgl is not supported by the nvidia driver under xorg 7.1.

This will be possible when the 9XXX series driver is out.

Thanks, Scarecrow. But XGL is, isn't it? But I can't seem to get it working, as you can read in my starting post.

Any help, would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded the kororaa XGL live cd and it wouldn't work with *any* machine I tried with an nvidia card. Machines with Intel and ATI however, seem to work fine.

Seems XGL is still having problems with nvidia cards., even mentioned recently in XGL reviews too of Mandriva 2007 Beta 3.

XGL actually runs best on nvidia, in my experience. AIGLX runs on nothing but Intel, last time I checked.

AIGLX runs fine on ATi too.

Aixgl is not supported by the nvidia driver under xorg 7.1.

This will be possible when the 9XXX series driver is out.

Thanks, Scarecrow. But XGL is, isn't it? But I can't seem to get it working, as you can read in my starting post.

Any help, would be much appreciated.

IIRC yes it works with nvidia

Will try it out. Thanks.

XGL works flawlessly with my nvidia 6200 on Mona. And it worked out of the box both on KDE One and Gnome One.

Did you install additional packages? Because everytime I wanna setup the 3D-desktop with my nVidia-card, I'm kicked back to the login-screen. Even typing the commands glxinfo | grep direct or glxgears kicks me back to the login screen.

XGL works flawlessly with my nvidia 6200 on Mona. And it worked out of the box both on KDE One and Gnome One.

Did you install additional packages? Because everytime I wanna setup the 3D-desktop with my nVidia-card, I'm kicked back to the login-screen. Even typing the commands glxinfo | grep direct or glxgears kicks me back to the login screen.

then you're having some other problems not related to XGL. your nvidia drivers must not be set up correctly...or you don't have them installed (the ones from nvidia.com)

I had that problem with Odin in vmware. glxgears worked though, but glxinfo wouldn't. I didn't fix it, but certainly sounds like a driver/opengl problem. Sorry can't help more than that.

then you're having some other problems not related to XGL. your nvidia drivers must not be set up correctly...or you don't have them installed (the ones from nvidia.com)

Well, I've installed the "dkms-nvidia"-drivers, because in "Odin" I only could get AIGXL working on my ATi-card with the "dkms-ati"-drivers. I had 3D-rendering working with the "dkms-nvidia"-drivers prior to setting up Xgl. Would the drivers from the nVidia-site solve the problem then?

I remember now this is a bug. First login without xgl and logout and then login with xgl. You first have to have logged in for some reason...

I don't think this is gonna work for me. As soon as I want to configure the 3D-desktop, by using drak3d, I get kicked back to the login-screen, GDM. I just found out, that I don't have the files /etc/sysconfig/xgl and /etc/sysconfig/compiz present. But I assume that when I could configure my 3D-desktop by using drak3d it would generate those files.