9.1 RC2...

CanuckKev

After installing the kernel upgrade in 9.0 in order to fix supermount, I had supermount problems come back with a vengence. I thought this kernel in RC2 had the fix!! Mandrake should get rid of it until it is fixed.
The kernel upgrade for mdk-9.0 did fix some supermount problems but not all. The same problems continue with 9.1rc1 and 9.1rc2. If mandrake goes down, supermount will die as a perennially sick child.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CloakedPenguin

I would have to say this has been the most "Problem Free" install ever with MDK. I didn't lock up once on the install like I have done with previous. I'm still playing around with it but it is getting much better! YIPPEEEE!

If this is any indication of what MDK 9.1 final release will be like I'm gonna be a happy camper. Still won't be able to get rid of Windows XP Pro and Office but hey as soon as Linux develops an Office suite that is close to what Office can do I might not need Windows anymore.

Yes I have installed Hancom, OpenOffice, and StarOffice, they all pale in comparison to M$ Office XP. Hey to say it but Microsoft really does a good job with their office suites.

I installed RC2 without a problem. It autodetected my home network without a problem. BUT :roll:

After installing the kernel upgrade in 9.0 in order to fix supermount, I had supermount problems come back with a vengence. I thought this kernel in RC2 had the fix!! Mandrake should get rid of it until it is fixed. I am also suprised that I again needed to install texstar's kdeartwork rpm in order to have a selection of screen savers. Why are they not including that in the distribution? At any rate, it is looking good, and my desktop is attracting the attention of friends who think that computer=windows.

Hmm.. there is an updated kernel from the cooker, try installing that.. remember.. this is still beta.. Everytime mandrake does a kernel, they have to repatch supermount in it. IIRC mandrake said that kernel 2.4.x doesn't like supermount that much.. it takes some kind of kludge to make it work properly.

Anyway, kdeartwork rpm is in the disks I think, just not installed by default (or even a choice in the initial installation). After finishing installation, check rpmdrake, I think you find kdeartwork in there.

[dmage@dragonmage dmage]$ rpm -qa |grep kdeartwork

kdeartwork-3.1-1mdk

I searched all three cd's and couldn't find it. (kdeartwork) Perhaps it will be in the final. I had to do the same thing for RC1.

I like the new gnome. It reminds me a little of the mac at work.

Another issue that came back is the kfmclient thing. RC1 didn't do it, but RC2 does. I always get heart palpitations when something shows up in a later release candidate that was not there before. I think that overall the gui environment is great (kde and gnome), especially now that the fonts are starting to look better.

I would have to say this has been the most "Problem Free" install ever with MDK. I didn't lock up once on the install like I have done with previous.
I have the opposite experience. Mandrake-9.0 installed on my machine just fine but 9.1rc1 froze after configuring the services (even though I have no printer, USB devices, modem, camera etc.) . However, 9.1rc2 install was ok.

Everytime mandrake does a kernel, they have to repatch supermount in it. IIRC mandrake said that kernel 2.4.x doesn't like supermount that much.. it takes some kind of kludge to make it work properly.
Supermount never ever worked correctly with any 2.4.x kernel (mdk-8.1, 8.2, 9.0, 9.1rc). Here's an example: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/81errata.p...php3#supermount . Also, I do not know of any 2.2 kernel that comes with the supermount feature, since supermount is a mandrake feature, and none of mandrake's recent distros (8.x and 9.x) have 2.2 kernels as default.

Guest megalex

On MDK 9.1 when i go to open a file in any KDE application i cant double click and go into directories or higlight and select/open any files.. I click click and nothing happens..

i have to type the location in the top dropdown so that it goes anywhere..

has anyone encountered this on RC2 ??

i dont like the new login manager..

it looks LAME, not customizable, ect.. should have stuck to KDM..

ps.. almost nothing in the mandrake control center works for me exept a few.

If this is the final RC before the final.. we better start praying..

I installed RC2 yesterday and I really like the look though the upgrade (which only required disk 1) took over 2 hours on my Sharp Actius A150 laptop.

BUT

OpenOffice menu text has disappeared as has a small amount of Opera dialog text. Also my shortcut for file management (kfmclient openProfile filemanagement) no longer works with icewm.

I wanna go back to 9.0 so I can get back to work on this machine. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks

On MDK 9.1 when i go to open a file in any KDE application i cant double click and go into directories or higlight and select/open any files.. I click click and nothing happens..

i have to type the location in the top dropdown so that it goes anywhere..

has anyone encountered this on RC2 ??

i dont like the new login manager..  

it looks LAME, not customizable, ect.. should have stuck to KDM..

ps.. almost nothing in the mandrake control center works for me exept a few.

If this is the final RC before the final.. we better start praying..

If you and al MDK-users want a great 9.1 final, submit all the bugs you have found. That's the only way for a common user to help to get 9.1 real stable.

I agree with LB06 re reporting bugs but I also have to agree with megalex re the large number of bugs I've noticed in RC2. The look and the fonts are beautiful but all the bugs make me wonder how they're going to get this straightened out in the next week. It doesn't seem possible to me.

Yes I have installed Hancom, OpenOffice, and StarOffice, they all pale in comparison to M$ Office XP. Hey to say it but Microsoft really does a good job with their office suites.
I agree with you, but remember that M$ have had years and years and years of experience making office suites. Open Office is a VERY young package and I think that, given that it is so young, they have accomplished a heck of a lot.

I reckon by the next point release of Open Office, we will have a serious competitor.

On the whole rc2 thing - this is the last release before 9.1 final, so does that mean that we can expect the final release earlier then it was originally planned for?

I agree with LB06 re reporting bugs but I also have to agree with megalex re the large number of bugs I've noticed in RC2. The look and the fonts are beautiful but all the bugs make me wonder how they're going to get this straightened out in the next week. It doesn't seem possible to me.

Heh... you don't know the power of OS developers when faced by crunchtime. :)

Anyway.. I think most of the bugs are fixed in cooker (RC2 is basically a cooker snapshot anyway). I think since RC2 there are 3 upgrades to draktools, 5 updates to kdebase, 6-7 updates to galaxy, 2 updates to kernel, 1 updates to mysql, 1 update to freetype, etc, etc, etc.

So yes, straight RC2 is buggy as an ant's nest, but after updating from cooker, seems like the bugs are fixed little by little. I still have problems with OpenOffice 1.02 formatting when opening word documents with tons of outline, but I think that's 1.0.2's own bug, not mandrake's 1.0.2.

So update your RC2 from cooker, then retest again, see if your bug is fixed. I do agree that they need to release an RC3 just to check on the installer.

All went fine with my upgrade; I too noted the following though

- Cut and Pasting URLs into Mozilla doesn't work,

- WineX will not run properly due to new Glibc,

- Still unable to watch DVD with Xine or Ogle, due to package discrepancies,

- Lost Pref Bar, but was able to rebuild from scratch,

- Unable to upgrade via diskette, and images on HD, due to using XFS, unable to see ISO images to upgrade,

- Loki_Update Tool still sproadic, but thanks to "Ravage" was able to find some work arounds.

That is pretty much it for me.

I've just got a rather odd bug in KDE. It won't let me select folders in the load/save file dialogue boxes. I have to type the address in manually. Hopefully updating from cooker will colve it.

Be nice if the installer let you set the permissions of the windows partitions during the install.

Generally I really like 9.1 so far! Big thumbs up, just needs a couple more RCs to iron out those bugs.

I have just made a clean install of mdk-9.1rc2 and there are tons of bugs (30+) that are immediately visible. They are in key areas:

installation from ISO (too many missing packages)

network configuration

sound configuration

video configuration

supermount problems (many)

KDE problems (numerous)

Mandrake control center

The annoying part is that many of the bugs have been inherited from 9.1rc1. Obviously, mandrake is doing a real bad job of fixing these bugs. Looking at the comments of the mandrake employees one gets the impression that they are doing us a favor by fixing these bugs !! They seem to have not yet realized the consequences of a bad final product. Some folks just don't learn.

The missing packages are probably due to something being wrong with your cds. Didn't use cd-rw by chance did you?

Bugs are being fixed. If you want more to be fixed report bugs on cooker.

Also if you update packages from a cooker source most of you bugs will probably be fixed.

I think it is a matter of installer problems than packages problem. I agree that there should be an RC3 before final is out, just to fix the daylights out of the installer.

Also, as long as you don't use UTF8 encoding, you'll be fine, but putting it basically breaks the whole mandrake packages. There goes my idea of putting a Japanese only account in this version.

yup. there's definitely problems with utf from what i've seen. maybe these've been fixed by now.