9.1 RC2...

CanuckKev

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm downloading it too with RSYNC. Here is what I did for cd1 for those interested..

rsync -Pv --stats rsync.secsup.org::mandrake-iso/i586/MandrakeLinux-9.1rc2-CD1.i586.iso .

MOttS

Guest duir66

I installed with cds. Pass them on to friends, enemies alike. :P

Very nice. Font has changed a little bit, yet again. Still nice.

It moved the default moz page in usr/share will go dig later. Blew away my prefs toolbar also (as usual) even though it just re-installed 1.3Beta. Noticed that KDE 3.1 default window prefs are a little diff also.

This is going to be a very nice build.

I just clean installed Mandrake 9.1 RC2 instead of upgrading.

I have a few complaints, nothing I can handle but it's just annoying.

1. Why is it that gtk apps (gaim, evolution) have huge fonts? How do I change it?

2. It seems that I cannot use dhcp to connect to my router (D-Link 604) to connect to the internet.. Oh I can ping to the router and other computer but not outside. I have to enter my ip address manually to connect to internet.

3. It's weird that lm_sensors cannot detect my nvidia nforce2 mb while in 9.0 it can. I think I can load up the chipset manually, but I forgot what kind.. Winbond something something..

Lemme play around a little bit more.. Anyway, this seems to be a really nice distro when it is polished up.

I have just made a clean install of mdk-9.1rc2 and there are tons of bugs (30+) that are immediately visible. They are in key areas:

installation from ISO (too many missing packages)

network configuration

sound configuration

video configuration

supermount problems (many)

KDE problems (numerous)

Mandrake control center

The annoying part is that many of the bugs have been inherited from 9.1rc1. Obviously, mandrake is doing a real bad job of fixing these bugs. Looking at the comments of the mandrake employees one gets the impression that they are doing us a favor by fixing these bugs !! They seem to have not yet realized the consequences of a bad final product. Some folks just don't learn.

I think it is a matter of installer problems than packages problem. I agree that there should be an RC3 before final is out, just to fix the daylights out of the installer.

Also, as long as you don't use UTF8 encoding, you'll be fine, but putting it basically breaks the whole mandrake packages. There goes my idea of putting a Japanese only account in this version.

Check out www.cheapbytes.com

They can sell you the cd's for cheap, usually $6-$8 per set. I used them alot before I got dsl. Just e-mail to them what you want, and they will tell you the price. Check the site first, as they may already be offering cooker versions of Mandrake on request.

I just put rc2 on my system. The installation was slow, very slow. It seemed to take forever to install many of the packages and crapped out on three, but that may be my cd's, which I burned with cdrecord and I've usually had problems with cdrecord at anything but low speed. But now that I have installed it I love how it looks. So far things are working fine, but as I said the installation is slow. By the way I have a Linksys router that it configured perfectly.

I installed RC2 without a problem. It autodetected my home network without a problem. BUT :roll:

After installing the kernel upgrade in 9.0 in order to fix supermount, I had supermount problems come back with a vengence. I thought this kernel in RC2 had the fix!! Mandrake should get rid of it until it is fixed. I am also suprised that I again needed to install texstar's kdeartwork rpm in order to have a selection of screen savers. Why are they not including that in the distribution? At any rate, it is looking good, and my desktop is attracting the attention of friends who think that computer=windows.