Improving a photo

dexter11

Ok played some more with it. Changed the saturation and contrast and now it looks like the sun has really shined that day. Tried to make the sky little more bluish with saturation and hue but didn't really succeed. Also managed to change the size to 1600x1200. But only by making a new picture and edit\copy visible and pasting it in to the new image. When I tried to change the original pic, GIMP really made it smaller it was in the upper left corner but the rest of the pic was black it didn't really changed the size remained 2560x1920 and when I saved it as png it was 2.9 MB.

In order to get the sky looking more blueish, either use the colorize option on the sky selection or add a new layer with a blue shade/gradient and adjust the transparency of the layer. ;)

Ok played some more with it. Changed the saturation and contrast and now it looks like the sun has really shined that day. Tried to make the sky little more bluish with saturation and hue but didn't really succeed. Also managed to change the size to 1600x1200. But only by making a new picture and edit\copy visible and pasting it in to the new image. When I tried to change the original pic, GIMP really made it smaller it was in the upper left corner but the rest of the pic was black it didn't really changed the size remained 2560x1920 and when I saved it as png it was 2.9 MB.

The original is over exposed.

You cannot recover this you can only add false color.

The best way is a semi transparent gradient if you want it to look realistic....

It is much easier to start with an underexposed image and extract the color captured .... obviously in a perfect world we would have correctly exposed images and your friend would have used a graduated filter on the original but hey...

Better idea is start with a different photo.

Seriously because I have had to learn to give up on photo's which are over exposed ... OR add false color...

Here is a link to some of my processing.... its subjective.. you might like the default and someone else the processed but non of these took longer than a minute.

http://linuxmigrations.hd.free.fr/gallery/...Name=Processing

Usually you can get 90% in less than a minute (once you practice)..it doesn't mean you can't do more but if you can't get a decent improvement in a minute then its unlikley it will ever be very good.