Software Recommendations

neonsox

Hello,

I'm sure there are lists, websites, and reviews of great Linux software avalable, but I'd like to get your picks on what programs are essential for the complete home personal computer. By that, I mean media software for streaming/listening to various audio formats, streaming/watching videos, editing photos, burning CD/DVD's, etc etc... I know that there are some programs that were once great but have been neglected over the years or months, so what's good TODAY? How about a catagory listing?

Media Player:

Chat Program:

Browser:

Burning Program:

Graphics editing:

Other great programs:

I know the KDEdu or whatever it's called is pretty interesting (to me). So maybe something along those lines.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I'd suggest:

Firefox 1.5.0.4

FF extensions: fasterfox, WebDeveloper, Firebug

OpenOffice 2.0.3

K3B for burning DVDs/CDs

sshd

msfonts-1.0-2mcnl.noarch.rpm

Java Runtime

Flash player

Mandriva documentation packages (Starter, Command Line, DrakTools, etc.)

Multimedia: mplayer, Timidity, xine, RealPlayer, streamtuner, streamripper, kstreamripper, libdvdcss, kaffeine

Utilities: krusader, kpdf, kdiff3, krename

apache2 web server with PHP and MySQL if you want to a database

I've forgotten a bunch that should be included but that's a start, anyway.

Media Player: VLC, Mplayer

Chat Program: Xchat

Browser: on KDE I guess Opera/firefox on gnome Epiphany

Burning Program: K3b, gnomebaker, NeroLinux

Graphics editing: Gimp, pixel32, cinepaint, inkscape.

Other great programs:

Blender3D (combined with wing3D) for 3D building or if you can afford it Maya.

P2P: Azureus, Limewire/Frostwire,

Picasa for organizing pictures etc.

Gaim for IM

etc.

etc.

Media Player: Xine, Mplayer

Chat Program: Gaim

Browser: Firefox, Epiphany

Burning Program: K3b, Gnomebaker

Graphics editing: Gimp, Inkscape

Other tools: Fspot, gthumb, rythmbox, OpenOffice, (Abiword as lightweight solution), evolution

Media player for video: totem or kaffeine

Media player for music: amarok

Browser: firefox

Chat: gaim

CD burning: k3b

Other: Google Earth(reqires 3d acceleration), Open Office, digikam for digital cameras and photo orginization

And games would probably require a whole new thread.

• Media Player: rhythmbox, xmms for music. i tend to use whichever is most efficient for my needs. i.e. if i just want to listen to a few files i drop them into xmms. as far as video, mplayer or gnomes movie player (forget what it's called - not totem).
  • Chat Program: gaim (for IM), xchat (for IRC)
  • Browser: firefox
  • Burning Program: gnomebaker. i used to use k3b even though i was in a gnome environment, but gnomebaker is greatly improved and just as good as k3b IMHO.
  • Graphics editing: gimp for image manipulation/creation (my avatar was made in gimp) and inkscape for SVG stuff.
  • Others: screem for web coding (css, xhtml, php). i prefer it over bluefish. i also hate WYSIWYG editors (i started writing webpages at 15, in notepad :lol:)

you know, despite the claims of MC being so great, i still don't use it to this day. i've tried it, played with it, but it just wasn't of any use to me. i can do everything i want without it :P

you know, despite the claims of MC being so great, i still don't use it to this day. i've tried it, played with it, but it just wasn't of any use to me. i can do everything i want without it :P

Yeah to me its in one of those "I really must leanr this someday" but everytime its potentially useful its just easier to fall back on what I know (vi) .. eMacs is the same categoty... people love it but I never persited long enough to be comfy.

My thanks to everyone who responded. I see some definate preferences amongst the group, so I'm going to give those a try first. I took a break from Linux for a bit, so it's been some time... I needed to see what was still relevant and improved. Thanks again!