Mandrake is not stable? Bull****

DOlson

My server (http, ftp, ssh, files, firewall, gateway), running Mandrake 8.2:

11:13pm up 200 days, 6:40, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

It's going to go down shortly, and be replaced by Debian, but I just wanted to hit 200 days, just to prove that Mandrake IS stable. I no longer care what anyone says about Mandrake, as far as it's stability goes. If it can happily run on my server for that long, then it is stable enough.

Anyhow, check out this link if you wanna see the stats in real-time.

http://aslan.no-ip.com/~dana/stats/

Just thought I'd post this out of interest for you all. :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 9.0 router/firewall has been up for 120 days since I unplugged it for hurricane. 76 straight before that. Ticked me off too because the power never dropped during the whole storm.

router/firewall not as big a deal as server but I've seen Win98 crash because of a screen saver.

Glad to see you back DOlsen.

I think there was a review that said something like "Mandrake 9.0 seems to have lost all those stability issues that dogged earlier releases". Personally I don't ever remember stability issues. going right back to 6.3 (I think).

Maybe somebody installed am older version of Mandrake on some unreliable hardware and then shouted loudly when it went wrong?

I'm with cannonfodder on this one if it boots up and shuts down without problems thats good enough for me.

My 9.0 router/firewall has been up for 120 days since I unplugged it for hurricane.  76 straight before that.  Ticked me off too because the power never dropped during the whole storm.

router/firewall not as big a deal as server but I've seen Win98 crash because of a screen saver.

Glad to see you back DOlsen.

I think you guys misspell my name on purpose...

I'm not "back" -- I've been posting quite often. Not my fault you don't check out the games forum. :P

You should check out your math though dude. Mandrake 9.0 was released September 25th, which is what, 155 days ago, give or take? I'm not a mathematical genius, but... 155 - 120 - 76 = -41... So somehow, you go Mandrake 9.0 well over a month in advance? That doesn't seem right to me. :P

doing some quick math, that translates to 53.56  minutes downtime per year (unless i goofed in the multiplication). Anybody gunning for that kind of uptime?

Have a look at Netcraft.com. There are a lot of servers that have been up for over 3 or 4 years straight. Here's a link: http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

I think there was a review that said something like "Mandrake 9.0 seems to have lost all those stability issues that dogged earlier releases".   Personally I don't ever remember stability issues.  going right back to 6.3 (I think).

Well, my server is running 8.2, not 9.0, so they were twice as wrong.

The only time my desktop goes down in Mandrake 8.2 is when I lose the ability to access the keyboard or mouse when using WineX for something. Other than that, crashes are individual apps going down for some reason of their own. My Mandrake 8.2 OS never goes down on its own...

My biggest problems with Mandrake are the lack of support for certain pieces of hardware (chipsets, visioneer scanners, etc). Once a distribution is out that renders tha point moot, I'm upgrading.

I use LM8.1 and although I've managed to crash it many times it's still a lot more stable than anything I've ever used. I have never had my server crash using LM8.1 (just over a year now) and the only 2 times I had to shut it off was to reclaim the hard drive space that reiserfs slowly steals from the system (I only have 180MB free on the server and after 6 months the log files must be cleaned off and a reiserfsck must be run to reclaim the disk space). The really scary thing is that there are distros out there that are much more stable than Mandrake.

Glitz.

doing some quick math, that translates to 53.56  minutes downtime per year (unless i goofed in the multiplication). Anybody gunning for that kind of uptime?

Have a look at Netcraft.com. There are a lot of servers that have been up for over 3 or 4 years straight. Here's a link:http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

thanks for the link scape but i will clarify my previous question. does somebody from the board gunning for such a statistic?

ciao!

Have a look at Netcraft.com. There are a lot of servers that have been up for over 3 or 4 years straight. Here's a link:http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

They are all BSD variants though. I realize that Linux and *BSD are very similiar, but if I had to pick one over the other to run a critical web server off of, I would definitely pick *BSD.

Although, hopefully this summer I will be putting together a Linux server and will get the chance to test exactly how stable linux really is.

A company that I did some work for once had a freeBSD server that except for hardware failure -- they fried several hard drives -- had never been shutdown in over 6 years. They finally had to replace it because it was simply out dated. Unfortunetaly, they replaced everything with Windows 2000 Server. And they have been paying for that decision ever since.

Unfortunetaly, they replaced everything with Windows 2000 Server. And they have been paying for that decision ever since.

They ran an NT server in the last place I worked. I shut it down and rebooted on a Friday befor we went home in the desperate hope and perhaps slightly ridiculous belief that it would stop weird shit happening during the weak.

Anyone else operate on caffiene and strange pagan rituals?