Where do installed programs go?

Guest Highnezz

Guest Highnezz

HI

I've just migrated from windows so its pretty confusing... i am using mandriva 2006.0 and i'm wondering where the program files folder is...

its because i tried installing xmms rpm package and it doesnt seem to show on the menu....

Just press alt+F2 and type in

xmms

To make it appear in your system menus, run

drakmenu

Directory and file structure on Linux is completely different than in windows.

Most executables are located in /usr/bin although it can also be located in /usr/local/bin or in /bin or somewhere in /opt ... it depends on the type of applications.

In Linux or in any Unix variants files are stored in the directory structure according to their role e.g. binary executables are stored in /usr/bin , config files in /etc , documentation in /usr/share/doc etc. Search for the file system hyerarchy standard in Google if you want more details.

guys, i want to ask few things about this, actually...

how do i know what kind of that application. I mean, sometimes, I installed few softwares, and it shows up in the menu, sometimes, it doesnt... when it doesn't show up, i begin to confuse.. where to execute it...

i've tried typing "drakmenu", but nothing happened...

Also, can i add a network shared printer? I'm using Mandriva 2006...

thanks

Yep, menudrake, system/configuration/other/menudrake. Then just hit the save option and they'll appear. Or log out and back in again.

In relation to where your programs go, you can use a few commands to find out. Open a console prompt and then:

whereis packagename

where packagename is xmms or whatever you installed. It should list where it is. Another alternative is to do this:

rpm -qa | grep xmms

or replace xmms with whatever you installed. It will list a package to so you can check if it's installed. If it is, then you can do:

rpm -ql xmms

and it will tell you where all the files are. Normally the whereis command is far easier and will work in most examples.

In relation to where your programs go, you can use a few commands to find out. Open a console prompt and then:

whereis packagename

I didn't know this so am grateful to read the info. However, unless you know the exact name of the files you don't get a response, and they don't appear to be obvious, i.e. my Acrobat reader isn't called Acrobat anything, it's acroread. Using the * wild card doesn't work, with or without quotes.

You can look in the software uninstaller utility for installed packages. If you switch to detailed view and scroll down in the description window you can see the files which were installed by that package. Now a few posts before me and scarecrow wrote that executables go to /usr/bin. So if you see in the filelist something like /usr/bin/prgstart then you know that by typing prgstart in the command prompt you can launch that program.

Edited by dexter11