Still undecided? Then install Fedora Core 5!

jlc

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060612#opinion

I agree, of course....... :thumbs:

If you are still undecided about which distribution to try on your system, take a good look at Fedora Core 5. It is possibly one of the most stable and dependable Linux distributions ever built!

Oh boy, this post has the smell of fire all around it.... :lol2:

Edited by jlc

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a nice controversy on FC5 at distrowatch already and this comment "Fedora Core 5 - still the most professional, bug-free and solid distribution available today." is shouting for "lame me! Please!". I had to post my crap, too - of course. :lol:

No it is only because it looked crappy to have fedora mentioned there without any nice smileys, while the mandriva links have nice smileys. The board apparently allows only a certain number of image-links on a signature. Too bad, as I had found three other, nice smileys for the fedora links. :sad: So, the choice was: Have a crippled signature with unequal use of images - or remove one of the distro-entries. My choice was aesthetics over everthing else. Go along and kick me. :P

I still have FC4 on one laptop and FC5 on one desktop workstation.

FC5 might be fine, but I don't think I will testdrive it anytime soon.

The reason is clearly seen in my avatar... :P

On July, 7th I celebrate the second year that I run that Linux distro at my main desktop machine, without the need of any reinstallation!

Edited by scarecrow

Congrats to you. I still have Mandrake 10.0 running on an old AMD machine (400 MHz) since 5 of March 2004. Reliable workhorse that never gave me problems. But I will upgrade the box soon to 2006 or 2007 once it is available. My Duron 750 died due to a fried Mobo some months ago, so definitely not Mandrivas fault (it was running LE2005).

I might try it in vmware to see what I'm missing out on. FC4 was OK, but the only niggles that annoyed me were that when I logged in as root, I could use most of the tools without having to provide the full path /sbin/chkconfig, etc, etc. When logged in as a normal user, and then going to superuser, you had to use the path. Maybe just a bashrc config or something :unsure:

However, I still mostly use Mandriva, and probably still will.

I might try it in vmware to see what I'm missing out on. FC4 was OK, but the only niggles that annoyed me were that when I logged in as root, I could use most of the tools without having to provide the full path /sbin/chkconfig, etc, etc. When logged in as a normal user, and then going to superuser, you had to use the path. Maybe just a bashrc config or something :unsure:
That ain't any different in FC5 and yes - it is annoying if you have to do lots of bash stuff.
:thumbs:

I do a lot of bash stuff yes. When I first started, I was always in the GUI's, purely because I didn't know what the hell I was doing, so to disable services, and much more, was much easier.

But, console is quicker :P or at least when I don't need to remember to put the paths first.

edit .bash_profile

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/sbin

normal

$ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/home/justin/bin

root

# echo $PATH

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

or you could add all of that to it

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

If you think PATH is bad in FC5, don't touch Solaris :)

I thought it would be something simple, when I tried it at the time. I know RHEL is the same too, but then I'm normally only using this for server-based stuff. I was intending FC for my laptop at work, but couldn't get Lotus Notes working with wine like I could in Mandy. I'll try a vmware session soon, see how it fares up.

I tried FC5 on my laptop and it looked lovely but was such an enormous system hog that I didn't keep it, not to mention it not working with my wireless card. 2006 works fine with the wireless and can handle KDE without any problems - FC5 just couldn't cope, and even with Gnome was struggling.

Maybe if you get a new computer to run Vista then you can run FC5 on it as well :lol2:

Quite simply: Fedora Core has never been for me. I try it whenever a new release comes out, play with it for a few days, but rarely do I feel comfortable in it. I don't know why.

I just replaced Dapper with FC5 and I find it as easy to setup as Dapper is/was.

The repos seem to be just as good as apt-get with the things "that I" need. Not sure about the wireless though. I've only have it on my desktop. If and when I ever get a laptop again hopefully it will be able to use the madwifi driver, in which case I will miss Dapper because it did set up madwifi on install. Kind of wish that FC would do that.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend FC5 to anyone and would be more than happy to help them get things going.