Ulteo Linux

Ixthusdan

pick a really old post to quote why don't you :P that's June.

LOL, pick an old distro why don't Ya... :D

but seriously I just wanted to point out that Mandrake hardware support used to be really good...

back in 8.x days we had over 100+ graphics card vendors ... so I think its comparable and the HW support on Mandr*, at least compared to other mainstream distro's has gone downhill at some point since then... IMHO as Gael and the programmers were squeezed sideways by the business types so I really still have faith in Gael... he and the intial guys did an incredible job and I see no reason he can't do it again...

Sorry guy's just wanted to firm this up....

What I'm saying is most people here know I have lost respect for Mandr* over the last few years... however non of this affects Gael's ability to pull this together. In short when Gael was in charge of its direction (before the IPO) Mandriva was IMHO one of the best, if not the best distro. Hardware support was excellent for the time, issues were a bit different then ... we had over 100 graphics chipsets, probably over 1000 including subsets.. whereas today we have SATA issues etc. but Mandrake was as good if not the best at the time.

After the IPO and appointment of busness types its my opinion this went downhill but this is not the fault of Duval... (leastwise he probably learned a lesson about putting business types in charge of a distro)... and his ability is no different now (just more experience) than it was when he made Mandrake out of nothing or the left overs of RH depending how you look at it.

So all this nay-saying is IMHO unfounded... I personally have every confidence in Gael and his team and comparing it to editions of mandrake after the IPO is not fair, but mostly not giving it a chance.

How about a review now tyme or Ix ? In the release notes I don't see anything revolutionary.

Yep that is a fair point... I don't know if I might be interested because I don't see any clear indication of what it is. I haven't read every possible page on the site but is it Debian based or what?

I can see why people think its smoke and mirrors but that seems to be an information thing... IMHO it needs some bold statement by the team on the first page as to what exactly it is... for people who are not first time linux n00bs...?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have time later today (my local time) to install and report. Thanks to tyme, I managed to get a good copy. The other servers listed on the site yesterday were too slow for a decent download. And, we can start discussing the distro now that we have an alpha release. Stay tuned.

I burned it and booted it up last night. LiveCD was pretty nice, only thing it didn't get right was my widescreen resolution (not surprising) but that was as easy as going into System Settings -> Display and changing it to widescreen 16:9, choosing 1680x1050 and restarting X. Unfortunately, when I tried to install it to me HD, everything went to hell. The install worked just fine, but for whatever reason when I booted it was doing some funky stuff...had swap mounted as root with unionfs as if it was running a livecd from the swap...makes no sense since I told it to use a 20GB partition as root. It was late and I was tired so I didn't get to look into it much further than that.

Honestly, right now it looks like a re-branded slightly modified Kubuntu. But it's only alpha...so I imagine there's a lot to be done.

hrmm, i'm still looking for the "new concept" that "changes the way we use computers"

the goals on http://www.ulteo.com/main/sirius_alpha_announce.php are noble, but extremely lofty. The sort of goals every user friendly distro has been aiming to acheive for years.

If they were as easy as they describe, it would have been done a long time ago. I wish them luck, but from what i've read of their use of unionfs -- it seems a bit of an overengineered solution that only solves a small part of the problem.

A deamon, called UGD (Ulteo General Daemon), is always connecting to Ulteo servers to see if a newer, more up to date system is available.

Phoning home? No thanks.

# Linux kernel 2.6.15

And so far in, that breaks their hardware compatibility on a huge amount of hardware from the last year. For me, that's no usable wireless or ethernet support - and my computer's motherboard is already well over a year old, the wireless card the same.

SATA would be pretty poor too unless there's a huge amount of backporting and fixing done - which is just beyond impractical for a kernel that old.

And security? going back to 2.6.15, that's a helluva lot of bugs and security flaws to fix.

I wish them luck, and I do realise it's an Alpha, but it's a pretty uninspiring start for 6 months work.

James

Well, I have not been able to get it to complete an install. It attempts to format the partition after installing the system! It uses gparted, but even if I prep the partition ahead of time, it wants to do a routine that is a little borked. Oh, well, it is an alpha.

Well, I have not been able to get it to complete an install. It attempts to format the partition after installing the system! It uses gparted, but even if I prep the partition ahead of time, it wants to do a routine that is a little borked. Oh, well, it is an alpha.

Same here, the live version works well, and the hard-drive install did not work. I didn t find anything unusual about the live version, but it is an alpha version, I will still keep my eyes pealed and wait for the beta

Stef

If it works like the kanotix installer you can probably hack the install.

The kanotix one is basically a cp -Rp that then finishes and installs grub ...

Ive btorrented it and leaving it open seeding pretty much indefinately...

Like tyme I don't wanna completely loose all bandwidth but if anyone wants a download mirror I can host it no problem, just not with 10,000 connections.

Update:

I installed Ulteo, but cannot get it to complete a boot. The Ulteo installer mangled one of my partitions. I created a small partition to move away from that area of the hard drive, and completed an install that way. I do not think xorg is the problem; I cannot move to a different console and then login. So the os itself is freezing at some point after initiating x. Funny, I though the system should load and then initiate x.

Yes, the live cd does work. The install is a bit rough. ;)

quick bump, can someone test this for downloads, Im interested to find out how fast it is outside of thier network, Im basically on a 22Mbit ATM download direct so its not realistic for me to test or pointless so if someone can give it a try and report back it would be great.