Making yourself a ghost on internet?

wakish

Hello everyone!

I have so much heard of attacks, hack and other related stuffs..

1) But i guess if our IP address is invisible on the net, there is no risk of having such hacks..etc...do we?

I remember last year, on an online game forum, the admin was (in a topic discussion) asking a user how he managed to hide his IP to the board.

And in some other dicussion on the net, i also found some people were actually surfing on the net with their IP really really hidden.

But i still haven't find out how is this possible?

2) Please can anyone discuss on this, and if possible share in how we can achieve such a technique?

Thanks for your kind attention,

wakish

yeah, i have experiment with http proxies, that to make my browser use a proxy..

but this is not always nice since each time you have to look for an available proxy that suits you, but still the risk as you said!

Till, has there been any software or anything concerning this for linux?

I have seen some programs like "CGIProxy 2.1 Beta11 for Linux" and some others...but from the reviews, it seems that these programs are not really confirm to be stable and effective.

~ Updated: ~

I have just come across this http://anonycat.com/

What are your opions guys?

Edited by wakish

In Holland, where I´m from and live, there was a guy who thought he was clever and wanted to blackmail a multinational (though dutch in origin) company, he used a highly anonymous proxy (from a non EU country....) to mail his treaths, though the police where able to trace him through getting his ID from the proxy through a court order, ie. a proxy won´t really protect you.....

I use a router, and it usually has the option to kind of hide it, ie you turn off all the ping services so that no reply comes back. Although some ISP's like to have a reply to ping, else they think your inactive and free up the ip address. Although, I would expect if your router got disconnected, it would just reconnect again anyway :unsure:

Not exactly true hiding as such, but as good as I can get. Plus I don't have any other services open and am protected by a firewall too.

I dont believe that you really can hide your IP add on the net unless if close all the ports of your box, and doing that also removing your internet access..

everytime you surf and open a website... your IP had been logged.. and if a certain real hacker really wanted to Hack you..he will find a way to access those sites that you visited... then also..he/she wont just go on to technical way, but you have'nt just notice.. you are talking already to him/her..

beware of this

In Holland, where I´m from and live, there was a guy who thought he was clever and wanted to blackmail a multinational (though dutch in origin) company, he used a highly anonymous proxy (from a non EU country....) to mail his treaths, though the police where able to trace him through getting his ID from the proxy through a court order, ie. a proxy won´t really protect you.....

Yes but being protected from the police and being protected from someone just seeing your IP address and casually thinking they will have a go at breaking in are two different levels!

I guess the aim is like leaving your house unlocked when you go out.

If you just forget to lock it then the chance of someone trying the door is smaller than leaving your keys in the door which attracts their attention in the first place, its also the fact that leaving your keys attracts the wrong sort of attention, i.e. the sort of people who go round looking for opportunity to rob you.

Presenting your IP is a bit like that, you kinda advertise to the sort of person who simply collects IP addy's

However the question is possibly is it better to have decent security in place or rely on noone seeing the opportunity. Im just guessing but I bet in some cases you leave the front door unlocked and someone comes and checks under the mat and plant pot and finds nothing and doesn't check the door itself?

edit:

forgot to mention just using a proxy server half-hides you.

Some IP logging software asks your browser and others logs your real IP....

If you are using a proxy then some of the logging will see your internal IP address.

Being realistic this is less likely to affect serious ass-hats who are trying to gain your IP and say guess your username from following you to a forum where you might post a quote showing your username for instance and more likely to just mess up stats some website you visit is trying to keep...I do this myself (at the site inmy sig) not from any malicious attempt but because I am providing a site for local and visitors and I want to know where visitors come from....

Equally I think if you have a dynamic IP then its pointless anyway. Anyone collecting IP's is liekly to want to collect a whole set and try and match them with other useful data that might help provide a username or such...its unlikely they are going to collect one and chase it immediately? Hence by the time you change IP you are back in anonomyty again!

Effort for effort I would say its one of the least effective security measures...

I can think of a few ways to use them but I don't think a public forum is a good place to air them and they are largely ineffectual but might make me look clever for a minute...

All you have to do is see some of my other posts to realise I'm not :D

In Paris the August vacation is notorious for people being robbed. They will look for piled up mail, randomly call people in the telephone book at midnight etc. just to see if a property is occupied. I have a friend who is ex-directry and leaves his and his wives first names only on the entry bell to prevent people getitng his surname and appt number etc.

Edited by Gowator

Yeah definetly, if you use a proxy or hide your IP, you are already a step further!

By the way, is a program like GhostSurf 2005 good? I mean anyone who have ever tried it..may be you could share your experience with such a program?

Edited by wakish

You're wasting your time.

If you want to hide to prevent crackers or anything else malicious, setup some decent security.

If you wanna hide so that you cannot be seen by anyone on the internet, unplug your modem from the wall.

If you're running from someone, then keep running and try and outsmart them. You can run but you cant hide on the internet.

Every time you do anything on the internet, you computer makes a connection to another, and your IP is readily available. You cannot hide this. If you use a remote proxy, then you're connecting to the proxy, and then the proxy connects on. So the proxy has your IP and everyone else has the IP of the proxy.

James

pfft .. do your best to hide ;)

all your IP address are belong to us webmasters

a proxy is the only way, and has already been suggested . .that doesn't stop me find out who you are :P

You're wasting your time.

If you want to hide to prevent crackers or anything else malicious, setup some decent security.

If you wanna hide so that you cannot be seen by anyone on the internet, unplug your modem from the wall.

If you're running from someone, then keep running and try and outsmart them. You can run but you cant hide on the internet.

Every time you do anything on the internet, you computer makes a connection to another, and your IP is readily available. You cannot hide this. If you use a remote proxy, then you're connecting to the proxy, and then the proxy connects on. So the proxy has your IP and everyone else has the IP of the proxy.

James

I don't think its a particualy efficient method but I wouldn't say you are completely wasting your time.

I don't see that the issues are all seperate in that once you attract the attention of crackers you may then have an issue with them being persistant.

Most cracking seems to be either random IP port probes or targetted from some list or other.

In the case of lists it is probable that someone collected your IP from somewhere ... as you point out you can run but not hide. The point is you can also swim with the shoal for protection and simply aim not to draw attention to yourself. A remarkable amount of boards are compromised, I keep a seperate mail account for certain things and the number of SPAM emails on this account is incredible. Someone is getting my information from somewhere!

If you are using a proxy then you are putting your faith in the proxy operators but that said if your knowledge of security is minimal they may at least know a lot better and stand less chance of being cracked than some casual computer user.

Other people might have other reasons, they may have a medical condition they may not wish to share or have 2 parts of their life they wish to keep seperate. Someone involved in say a forum on civil rights for a minority group may not want this connecting to a support forum they use professionally at work.

If you jump from one to the other then the referrer will be logged and that information is available to anyone who cracks one of the forii. (Is that correct, you're the latin speaker)

Further when someone puts this together they have exponentially increased the information about you and that can lead to more information. Is it tinfoil hat time? It depends, you can find a lot out about someone on the internet but the same is true in normal life. In the real world polititions, actors etc. do have privacy problems, I must admit my sympathy is limited for someone who chooses public life and then complains about it but the point is if someone randomly targets you why make it easy to gather information about you.

I can't think of an example where a cracker wouldn't start from somewhere .... it may appear random but I doubt these idiots sit and just randomly try IP addy's they must start somewhere.

To a large extent I think just not publishing too much info is a good practice, just like not putting a note on your front door for the postman that you are away for 3 weeks.

You might want to have a look at this: Tor.

Hmm this brings another question....

Tor aims to defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal anonymity and privacy

Web hosters also have a lot of good reasons for collecting that information.

My website collects stats that I use to work out where people are visiting from and where they found the site from. This helps me give information to that set of people. At the moment it is actually being used defensively because i'm a little worried I might be approaching the limits of French law. Given my site is non-profit and non commercial I am just the right side of French law (I hope) to have a personal website in English on a .fr domain.

You might find this hard to believe (Franch and Canadians excepted) but commercial sites in France must provide the same information in French as any other language which in practice means English.

The French are very protective of their language, (to say the least) and hold it as a cornerstone of their culture which is another thing they take VERY seriously.

Basically a certain percentage of music on the radio must be in French (percentage varies according to whether it receives any public money or not) but this law effectively means English. There are several dedicated portugeuse, arabic and other radio stations in Paris but no English ones since they are targetted by the ministry of culture. My website is for anglophones in Paris ith a certain disease, unfortunately I have been receiving visits from dodgy people like the Town Hall of Nanterre (just outside Paris) and the French telecoms standards people to the exact same 2 pages ten minutes later. Obviously someone complained, probably someone in the French association which charges people €30 a year to provide the same information... in typical French style (anyone reading a Year in the Merde might think its far flung fiction, its not) I bet someone complained this assoc has been around for 10 yrs and not found a single resto in Paris which is safe to eat in for itsa members whereas I have been around 3-4 weeks and already have a list and its all FREE. My guess is a member complained they were getting better infromation from me for free and the organisers decided to scrath the itch not get off their asses and actually address the problem which means a phone call to a friend in politics ...

Don't laugh, its serious and I may be forced to take my site with free advice down because of this! If I was a commercial site just one error in grammar, tense or punctuation and I would be closed down and fined. I know of businesses that have been!

A government employee using the word 'router' faces a custodial sentence, loss of job and huge fine ... yet noone in the private sector uses the manufactured French word "passerelle". Imagine a French government employee posting here using the word router... and someone traces this back to their netblock?

p.s. The point is these things don't happen randomly, noone would ever attack a French owned cafe which has also an English translation but made a printing error in French.. heck 90% of the English translations have mistakes anyway.... but if the cafe was English owned and themed and they miss a single accent and someone complains via the right path (uncles friends daughter-in-laws brotherwho just happens to be connected in politics) they will be investigated by some of the most bored officials in France who have nothing better to do.

/rant off

Seriously I can't belive I may be forced to shut down because of this!