I got hacked

Leo

If you have firewall on your router, you should be fine. If not, I would install shorewall or something like that.

I sometimes use shorewall, even though I'm being a router with firewall, and a hardware firewall too.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on average, an unsecured windows xp machine put on the internet will be compromised in 15 minutes. it's sad, really.

A few years ago I got my father a new XP machine for XMas (some here might remember) and the first thing I started was a download of antivirus SW ... in the timeit took to do a couple of searches, post here to ask about anti-vir etc. he was already compromised I basically ended up in a bandwidth war to dload the anti-vir until I gave up and used a liveCD to connect and dload !!

no, first let them login, nail them and teach them a lesson, then reinstall :thumbs:

and in doing so, drag yourself to the same level. excellent idea.

I guess it depends how you do it.

I had some guy at a uni somewhere hacking my account in my old job .. he was running linux somewhere (don't remember anymore) on a shared machine in a uni.

I hacked his account and left him a nice-ish login message basically just saying "Its not big and its not clever and if you try again I would report him to the uni"

Never heard back!

I think he/she probably thought they were some smart-ass but just turning the tables was enough to get em to run and hide ...

no, first let them login, nail them and teach them a lesson, then reinstall :thumbs:

and in doing so, drag yourself to the same level. excellent idea.

I guess it depends how you do it.

I had some guy at a uni somewhere hacking my account in my old job .. he was running linux somewhere (don't remember anymore) on a shared machine in a uni.

I hacked his account and left him a nice-ish login message basically just saying "Its not big and its not clever and if you try again I would report him to the uni"

Never heard back!

I think he/she probably thought they were some smart-ass but just turning the tables was enough to get em to run and hide ...

Exactly! To do otherwise encourages the behavior to continue. If that doesn't work, being a Texan first and american second, the law then falls into my hands because PC/Global law is a failure, and after not heeding a second warning and their hardware gets fried, they can't boot, and it cost then money, they come to realize what amatures they are and then they'll stop running around cracking. Actions>Consequences!

I did not say the board admin supported any such action nor did I suggest anyone else do what I would do. I agreed with what Gowator stated then continued with what I would do. Still, illegal discussions are not against board guidelines so if that is what you want, it should be added.

Your disclaimer is already there

4.1 Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for --- or warrant --- the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of its author and are not necessarily the views of this forum.

My post was a request that such activities not be discussed. If board guidelines had been violated the posts would have been removed immediately. That's all I have to say on this matter.

That's what I would like to do but unfortunately do not know enough :lol2:

Anyway, I have reinstalled now set up new (secure passwords for root and a new user, the firewall is on the router to allow nothing in (I reset to manufacturer settings and then set a new domain name, admin account and password). I have set up a firewall to run locally and turned sshd off.

I still need to set up the deny.hosts and look at NAT (although this is selected to run as a default on the router).

I will admit that I am now just a bit more paranoid than before.

Leo