login manager doesn't give KDE option [solved]

sn8kman

Ok, I feel like a total n00b, but I've done plenty of KDE upgrades before and 3.5.2 is throwing me for a loop. I've looked all over and found there's no kdebase-kdm-config-file I guess for this release. However, I have no idea how to tell kdm to give me the option to log into a KDE session instead of ICEWM (or custom, failsafe or default). I used the mde.djura resources and everything seems to have gone ok - ie:no errors and all signatures, etc. are fine. Can anyone give me a like with a how-to (like SoS has) that is specific to 3.5.2 or a fix for this specific issue?

Thanks.

Edited by sn8kman

Ok, I'm rpm -e --nodeps mde-kde-config-file to manually remove the config file and then reinstalling it while in ICEWM. We'll see if that works. MCC doesn't have an option to change the session choices, but does have a GDM configurator option. I might have to invoke the KDM configurator through a terminal though - anyone know the command?

Ok, I'm rpm -e --nodeps mde-kde-config-file to manually remove the config file and then reinstalling it while in ICEWM. We'll see if that works. MCC doesn't have an option to change the session choices, but does have a GDM configurator option. I might have to invoke the KDM configurator through a terminal though - anyone know the command?

I am a newb :P but MCC > boot > autologin > looks like the place to go to me :unsure: . If I am out of order please tell me and I will go to my room :D

Ok, I feel like a total n00b, but I've done plenty of KDE upgrades before and 3.5.2 is throwing me for a loop. I've looked all over and found there's no kdebase-kdm-config-file I guess for this release. However, I have no idea how to tell kdm to give me the option to log into a KDE session instead of ICEWM (or custom, failsafe or default). I used the mde.djura resources and everything seems to have gone ok - ie:no errors and all signatures, etc. are fine. Can anyone give me a like with a how-to (like SoS has) that is specific to 3.5.2 or a fix for this specific issue?

Thanks.

genkdmconf --help

though it really didn´t work for me, make a backup of etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc before doing it. I think you´re best bet would be asking in the kde forums though, the helped me solve my problems with kdm when I upgraded to 3.5.2

edit: come to think of, I think I came across a solution for your problem in the KDM manual, something about editing a file ~/xinitrc or something like that....

Edited by ffi

Ok, MCC>boot>autologin definately not the place. MCC>system>display manager only lets you pick which DM to use (KDM, GDM, XDM) but not configure it. Trying the genkdmconf --no-old and rebooting - BRB :wall:

Also, I manually removed the kdebase-kdm with rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm and then re-added it with urpmi kdebase-kdm which did use the MDE repository. Again, trying to reboot now. :mellow:

Edited by sn8kman

Ok, MCC>boot>autologin definately not the place. MCC>system>display manager only lets you pick which DM to use (KDM, GDM, XDM) but not configure it. Trying the genkdmconf --no-old and rebooting - BRB :wall:

Also, I manually removed the kdebase-kdm with rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm and then re-added it with urpmi kdebase-kdm which did use the MDE repository. Again, trying to reboot now. :mellow:

This seams to be the kind os post to be in MDE topic, anyway i still havent understand whats your problem, you want to login in kde and you dont have that option in kdm? or you want to use the kdm login instead using the mde default?

The MDE login looks great. However, under the sessions 'button' my options are (were) Default, ICEWM, Previous, Failsafe. I would like the option to login to KDE. The only thing that actually works is ICEWM. I'll check out the KDM manual online (provided I can find it - but shouldn't be hard) but currently I'm booting off a live Kubuntu CD and downloading the Free DVD for 2006,0 to give it one last try. If it doesn't work - I may just use Kubuntu 6.0.6 since it comes with KDE 3.5.2 :wall:

I really dont have a clue of what you did to put that happening, still can be a good idea to do rpm -Uvh --force kdebase-kdm since this way you will replace the existant kdmrc config file, when doing with urpmi it follows the specifications and for config rules, the policy is to not replace them and create a new one *.rpmnew.

However you can just enter /etc/kde/kdm and erase kdmrc and just do urpmi kdebase-kdm

Well you are free to use whatever distro you want.

Ok, here's where I'm at:

Mandriva 2006.0 Installed

Tried to update to KDE 3.5.2 from MDE - failed (couldn't find kdebase-3.5.2 or kdebase)

Updated KDE to 3.5.1 from SoS

Tried to update again to 3.5.2 from MDE - failed dependencies

Reinstalled KDE 3.5.1 from SoS.

I want to thank you for taking the time to create the MDE resources especially for 3.5.2. I'm sure if I was a little more knowledgeable with Linux they'd work fine. With everyone who had no problems, I'm positive the fault lies in my court.

I'll read more and maybe try this again later unless anyone has a miracle fix that I don't know about (ie: something easy like patting your head and rubbing your tummy while using --wget instead of --curl)

At least I have a useable mandriva installation again. :thumbs:

You can install kde-3.5.2 in mandriva 2006 and upgrade from kde-3.4.2 with rpmdrake or urpmi or the tool we advise that is smart

However we do advise to first uninstall kde-3.4.2 and then install kde-3.5.2, this because when upgrading from 3.4.2 many times happens that appears some doubled menus but this is explained in our webpage.

This may be a really dumb question but are you certain that you have KDM installed ??? I feel pretty sure that if it was then kde should be in the mde log in menu at least. If it was installed then it would be in MCC to choose from. If it (kdm) is not installed then of course it wouldn't be there in MCC.

If I am wrong then I am sure someone can correct me.

Cheers. John.