login manager doesn't give KDE option [solved]

sn8kman

I've noticed that MDE has updated their RPMS to include some patched base KDE 3.5.2 files and SoS has also released his 3.5.2 files. Here's what I did to get it ot work:

[/solution=on]

rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm

urpmi.addmedia SoS http://seerofsouls.com/mandriva/KDE-3.5.2 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.removemedia MDE

urpmi kdebase-kdm (from SoS)

urpmi.addmedia MDE http://www.mde.djura.org/2006.0/RPMS/ with hdlist.cz

urpmi kdebase-kdm (from MDE)

vi /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

insert key to add under [general] section: ServerVTs=-7

esc key to get to commands

:w to write the file

:q to quit vi

init 6 to reboot.

[/solution=off]

This was not the most eloquent method - but it worked. I had to manualy edit the kdmrc file because from what I can tell, both resources did not have the line for ServerVts so my keyboard input wouldn't go into the KDM login screen.

I'm now up and running in KDE-3.5.2 but I'm patching other issues I caused in getting to this point. :zzz: Thanks again for all the help. :thumbs:

Edited by sn8kman

I've noticed that MDE has updated their RPMS to include some patched base KDE 3.5.2 files and SoS has also released his 3.5.2 files. Here's what I did to get it ot work:

You have noted what? from where? who? how? give me break...

[/solution=on]

rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm

urpmi.addmedia SoS http://seerofsouls.com/mandriva/KDE-3.5.2 with hdlist.cz

urpmi.removemedia MDE

urpmi kdebase-kdm (from SoS)

urpmi.addmedia MDE http://www.mde.djura.org/2006.0/RPMS/ with hdlist.cz

urpmi kdebase-kdm (from MDE)

vi /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc

insert key to add under [general] section: ServerVTs=-7

esc key to get to commands

:w to write the file

:q to quit vi

init 6 to reboot.

[/solution=off]

This was not the most eloquent method - but it worked. I had to manualy edit the kdmrc file because from what I can tell, both resources did not have the line for ServerVts so my keyboard input wouldn't go into the KDM login screen.

I'm now up and running in KDE-3.5.2 but I'm patching other issues I caused in getting to this point. :zzz: Thanks again for all the help. :thumbs:

And again you know nothing, since kdmrc file from Mde has been fixed since 3.4.2, and only with you is that appears this crazy thing, i imagine what you hae done to get that, like for example mixing MDE files to others, this way you only get system breaked and you only not get anymore our support since we do advise about this.

Take a good look to MDE kdmrc file and see if it doesnt have exactly what you say you have had.

To put posts like these please dont, since you only teach newbies to get in troubles.

Edited by mmodem

MDE

It may not be your files that are broken but i am using the Devel version from Mandriva and since yesterdays upgrade unless i went through a manual start of all the services i also had a problem with the keyboard.(Did an upgrade just before again to see if the fixed it today.)

I just used his fix and i fixed the problem i had also..

So i am not sure where the problem has come from but adding the line

ServerVTs=-7

worked for me, I was about to post the question when i read this comment and though it could be related.

What was really weird is that the tty2 console ctrl-alt f2 was always restarting and the kernel was complaining about the X accesses the keyboard for some reason.

But now it works thanks..

The log on screen would work but once inside KDE i had no keyboard functionality.

MDE

It may not be your files that are broken but i am using the Devel version from Mandriva and since yesterdays upgrade unless i went through a manual start of all the services i also had a problem with the keyboard.(Did an upgrade just before again to see if the fixed it today.)

I just used his fix and i fixed the problem i had also..

So i am not sure where the problem has come from but adding the line

ServerVTs=-7

worked for me, I was about to post the question when i read this comment and though it could be related.

What was really weird is that the tty2 console ctrl-alt f2 was always restarting and the kernel was complaining about the X accesses the keyboard for some reason.

But now it works thanks..

The log on screen would work but once inside KDE i had no keyboard functionality.

Woudl care care to go back and i see what i have posted about that? would are to read the last post in wich i also said that this is fixed since kde-3.4.2 (refering to MDE kde packages of course), would you care to explain what MDE files have to do with mandriva files cooker or not?

Edited by mmodem

Could it be possible that he has missed the other upgrade or mixed versions?

I don't know where he got the error from but i know where i got mine from it was the cooker..

That's all i was trying to say..

I am not saying MDE of SoS is broken but i do know for a fact with my upgrade from the cooker this error did occur..

Sorry if you think i was agreeing your version is broken in any way..

Could it be possible that he has missed the other upgrade or mixed versions?

I don't know where he got the error from but i know where i got mine from it was the cooker..

That's all i was trying to say..

I am not saying MDE of SoS is broken but i do know for a fact with my upgrade from the cooker this error did occur..

Sorry if you think i was agreeing your version is broken in any way..

MDE of SoS???

Please this is too rude, SoS doesnt simply pass from cooker rpms build for Mandriva 2006.0, MDE rpms are good packages that are much more improved, with many fixes, with all correct dependencies, without packages that make no sense and so on, thats why you still get cooker packages without keyboard working...

Please do not confuse them since MDE have nothing to do with the rest, you can check www.mde.djura.org

I know i got a litle abset but dont take it personally :)

kind regards,

Edited by mmodem

Noted..

MDE or SoS i meant not OF..

In the case with taking from Cooker i saw that a lot of the times you are actually earlier on some of the releases than the cooker so i do realize that and am impressed with the work you have done.

In the case with this user i think after reading all the pages before he has missed some steps at one stage.

and that has caused the error to appear..

Once again i congratulate you on your development..

:huh:

I understand that mixing and matching isn't good. I'm currently trying to get MDE to work completely without mixing. My problem: keep getting errors curl(22) couldn't connect to http://www.mde.djura.org/2006.0/RPMS/kdeba....2blah.blah.rpm

Am I doing urpmi.addmedia wrong? I did:

urpmi.addmedia MDE-2006 http://www.mde.djura.org/2006.0/RPMS/ with hdlist.cz

I know KDE is in a sub-directory /kde-3.5.2/ but no hdlist.cz there. I don't have smart (I don't think). I must have gotten kdebase-kdm from somewhere else if it couldn't retrieve it from MDE because of this problem. I'm sorry if I mis-interpreted, but you have 2 versions of many files (ie:kdebase-kdm-3.5.2-8.i586.rpm and kdebase-kdm-3.5.2-9.i586.rpm) which usually means an update.

I'm looking on your site for instructions now. *edit* yes, I've added urpmi as instructed. But I'm still getting these errors *edit*

--update: apparently my fault (again) -- VERY IMPORTANT that ~/2006.0/RPMS NOT ~/2006.0/RPMS/

Edited by sn8kman

You cant add a media inside other media, or you first add a media and then updated it, or before doing again urpmi.addmedia remove the media with urpmi.remove.

However i have been seeing some problems regarding update media and this is due to a urpmi bug thats why we do advise smart, so when having problems when updating media, remove media and readd it.

In fact makes no difference if you set ~/2006.0/RPMS or ~/2006.0/RPMS/ since urpmi is recursive.

I have been seeing a crescent number of newbies (this is good since people start realize the shi* that windowzzz is) and i see that there a certain number of dificulties about upgrading kde, so ill see if i get some time to write a howto or intro about it.

regards,

Edited by mmodem

In fact makes no difference if you set ~/2006.0/RPMS or ~/2006.0/RPMS/ since urpmi is recursive.

I have been seeing a crescent number of newbies (this is good since people start realize the shi* that windowzzz is) and i see that there a certain number of dificulties about upgrading kde, so ill see if i get some time to write a howto or intro about it.

regards,

I know it shouldn't make a difference with urpmi if you set 2006.0/RPMS or 2006.0/RPMS/ but get 404 erros none the less if set ~/2006.0/RPMS/ but not with ~/2006.0/RPMS - maybe older version of urpmi, since updated urpmi doesn't seem to have that problem.

Thank you again for all your time and effort with your advise and repository - I'm now on a pure MDE install of 3.5.2 and already noticing a difference between SoS and MDE (MDE>SoS). Nothing against SoS, but I'm personally liking what you and Ze have done better.

Also, thank you for your patience with me. Yes, I'm a win convertee since 12/25/2005. Now 100% winblows-free :lol2:

I know it shouldn't make a difference with urpmi if you set 2006.0/RPMS or 2006.0/RPMS/ but get 404 erros none the less if set ~/2006.0/RPMS/ but not with ~/2006.0/RPMS - maybe older version of urpmi, since updated urpmi doesn't seem to have that problem.

Makes no difference.

Thank you again for all your time and effort with your advise and repository - I'm now on a pure MDE install of 3.5.2 and already noticing a difference between SoS and MDE (MDE>SoS). Nothing against SoS, but I'm personally liking what you and Ze have done better.

I'm Zé.

Also, thank you for your patience with me. Yes, I'm a win convertee since 12/25/2005. Now 100% winblows-free :lol2:

Your welcome.