Mandriva One [solved]

Hope this is the right forum :unsure:

Can anyone help me with the following problem? I have just tried to INSTALL Mandriva One (to a partition) from a free DVD attached to Linux-Magazine (May 2006). The first screen appears, as depicted in the mag, but I cannot find any way of selecting "Install". <Enter> causes the live-version to be loaded (don't want that) and <F1> brings up a boot-prompt, but with no information on how to proceed from there. Any help in initiating a normal, direct installation would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

[moved by phunni]

Mandriva One hasn't been publicly released yet, so I would doubly make sure that you don't have the BETA release first prior to installation. It's currently only been released to club members. There have been a few posts recently which mentioned quite a lot of buggy problems with the BETA version.

If you're sure it's a full, final release, then check/test first from the CD before install, to make sure it's stable and what you think would be good for install. From what I know, it's more or less the same as 2006 anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't help you on how to install, since I've not downloaded and tested myself. I just wanted to check/recommend on how to proceed in case of it being a beta release and to warn you of possible problems.

I beleive you must boot the live cd, and then you will have an installation option from a runing system.

Also, It is not a beta in the since of the entire distro, It is simply a knoppix style live cd which includes an installation feature like mepis or pclinux, all using the current 2006.

Well, Ian, the DVD says "Madriva One, Latest Mandrive Linux" and the mag. doesn't mention Beta at all, so I just assumed that it was a post-beta, tested version. Strangely enough, though, the text DOES mentioned Mandy 2006; possibly a typo? :huh: Anyway, thanks for the tip; I'll wait for a later version to appear.

Yes, Ixthusdan, I've already tried that. Sadly, I wasn't given any options for installation, apart from partition-selection, and the installation-process tried to install everything on the DVD (12GB worth, according to the mag.) onto a 6GB partition, before crashing. Which is why I was looking for the normal, cosy, very user-friendly Mandy installation-procedure :unsure: . Many thanks, and please see post#4.

Guest erinmidi

hi mate, i have installed the Mandriva One by repartitioning my drives and all that.. i am new to linux and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get from the command prompt at loggin to a full fledged GUI display. I've tried Startx but it doesn't work?? any advice would be welcome

Mandriva One is based on the 2006 release of Mandriva. It only has bugfixed packages so it doesn't have those annoying bugs what 2006 has. I never saw a package selection on a livecd installer yet. You can install the whole CD or not install anything. If you want package selection try the 2006 CDs but make an update as soon as you can.

Edited by dexter11

Mandriva One is based on the 2006 release of Mandriva. It only has bugfixed packages so it doesn't have those annoying bugs what 2006 has. I never saw a package selection on a livecd installer yet. You can install the whole CD or not install anything. If you want package selection try the 2006 CDs but make an update as soon as you can.

I've got 2006, so I'll do as you suggest. Many thanks for the tip :P And, of course, thanks to all of you others who also contributed :P :P

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 3 weeks later...
Guest linux student

I have the same cd from linnux magazine. I cant get it to boot at all it just freezes. I just want to use the live cd without installing it atm. Is there anyone here who can help me. When it comes to linnux I am a total newbie though I am an intermeadiate user of windows. Meaning I can do more than install and remove programs and I know what the windows registery is but I dont touch it. Heres the stats of my system edited from dxdiag for security purposes:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Sempron Processor 3100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200

Chip type: GeForce 6200

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 256.0 MB

Monitor: COMPAQ FS7600 Color Monitor

Driver Version: 6.14.0010.8198 (English)

-------------

Sound Devices

-------------

Description: C-Media Wave Device

------------------------

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives

------------------------

My dvd rom

Drive: E:

Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B

Can someone help me figure out this problem. I will provide more info if needed. Thank you in advance.

Guest Martyr

I can't help with this but have a similar problem trying to load Mandriva One to a partition on my second HDD (on an otherwise very similar system) from the free Linux Magazine DVD.

I currently have a copy of WinXP on each of 2 HDDs and can dual boot XP at startup (I use a "clean" version of XP on the second drive for when my original cluttered version drives me mad) and have a free partition on that second drive waiting for Linux.

I can get as far as Auto Allocating the Linux partitions (/,swap and /home) followed by a lengthy "Copying Files" screen (30 minutes with penguin screensaver) at the end of which I get dumped back to the KDE desktop where I started. I have tried this 4 or 5 times with the same result.

I am a Linux beginner. Am I missing something?

I never tried the dvd version but I did try the first beta release of Mandriva One and I couldn't get any where with it. The beta 3 release works well for me and I have a suspicion that the magazine is including a beta 1 or 2 version that is buggy.

Guest Martyr
I never tried the dvd version but I did try the first beta release of Mandriva One and I couldn't get any where with it. The beta 3 release works well for me and I have a suspicion that the magazine is including a beta 1 or 2 version that is buggy.

Thank you. Maybe I'll wait until the release of the definitive version.

Guest linux student

Well I really feel like giving them a pice of my mind. :annoyed: No where did it say in the magazine that this was a bata. If it did I would not have bought it. Anyway there are nice people on this board helping me work through this problem. :D

Edited by linux student