Your vision of Mandriva 2007/2008/2009/...

arctic

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tinks

I know that... But... where the default file manager of Firefox had gone?. That was pretty simple...

Tinks most of the software you think is in the Mandriva repos. Maybe they're not on the CDs or DVD but there are Mandriva packages.

For login\logoff music there is a Mandriva sound contest.

Mandriva is packaging software and not writing it so tips like "don't use GNOME fileopen dialogs in KDE with Firefox" and "avoid using multiple windows like GIMP" are pointless.

Guest tinks

The reason why i have been suggesting to include the Developement Tools is that....even knowing that they are available at online repositories... Here in India.... Most of you know country's current status...

I am from Kerala... A small state in India.. A state which have the most deep roots for Free and Open Source Software all over compared to other states...especially in educational institutions....

FSF India's head quarters resides in our state...

My friends and i really disappointed to see no major developement tools in Mandriva 2006 as compared to previous releases... So they naturally depend other distributions by sacrificing major plus points provided by Mandriva distribution... You may be suggesting to add those packages from online repositories... But a country with not great infrastructure for communication (poor bandwith.. most of us use dialup and GPRS to access internet personally... Educational institution provides best connections.. but there is serious limitations...), that choice is to be rejected....

Is there is anything wrong if Mandriva could come in 4 cdroms instead of 3 (Fedora policy) to find enough place to include major missing applications??????

17. Please avoid multiple applications for same task. Choose only best ones defaultly.

18. Include more multimedia applications ( which is the plus point of Mandrake/Mandriva so far) like transcode, frontends for mencoder and transcode, tag editors, AVIDemux, VLC media player, KDE frontend for Mplayer etc.)

These 2 seem to contradict each other - Mandriva includes xine and its frontends Kaffiene (for KDE) and Totem (for GNOME) as the default player. Installing mplayer as well violates the 'multiple applications per task' rule, although in this case it might be good to make an exception since mplayer can often play things that xine can't (some Real Media videos in my experience).

Still all this stuff is in the repositories.

19. Include more developement packages (please don't neglect the developement section. Most my friends dissapointed with Mandriva 2006 since developement packages were missing. eg: Kdevelope, Eclipse, Glade, IDE for Python, Ruby etc. )

All these packages are in the repositories, they just aren't on the 3CD 'Free' edition since otherwise it would be a lot more than 3CDs.

20. Please try to remove the Mandriva Online services from Mandriva free editions if the company is not giving updates to the free editions.

They are giving free updates - see the Update program in the Mandriva Control Centre. Mandriva Online is supposed to be a pay-for service that is better (I'm not sure how). As usual Mandriva have confused people with this - they see the Mandriva Update applet started by default in their panel and think Mandriva has gone to a pay-for updates system, like Red Hat Network for eg.

Otherwise some pretty good points. Maybe some of you guys should join the cooker mailing list and discuss your suggestions there - you'll usually get a direct response from the actual developers that way. Now's the time to suggest changes, they probably won't change anything once the beta process is underway.

I know that... But... where the default file manager of Firefox had gone?. That was pretty simple...

firefox doesn't have it's own file manager...it uses whatever file manager you use, i.e. konqueror, nautilus...

Is there is anything wrong if Mandriva could come in 4 cdroms instead of 3 (Fedora policy) to find enough place to include major missing applications??????

It does...you just have to buy it. Which is perfectly fine by me, they deserve money for the work they do - instead of being the victims of freeloaders who want something for nothing.

Besides, if you're already downloading the free version, it takes just as much bandwidth (if not more, because you may get stuff you don't want) to download a 4th cd vs. getting it from the repos.

Nope kernel 2.6.17.1 wasn't any better. Same problem with cd's not being able to mount, so obviously missing something from my raw kernel, that Mandriva has patched in theirs. Autofs will allow me to use it anyhow normally, so I can get around it, but it just shows kernel compiles on Mandriva ain't as easy as other distros.

I don't think this has anything to do with the kernel, after all how can it be a problem with the kernel that you're getting supermount errors when you haven't even patched supermount into the kernel? It must be something else, the fact that you've tried multiple kernel compiles all with the same result shows that it has to be something outside the kernel.

And as I said before I've had absolutely no trouble with custom compiled kernels with no patching required so I don't think that Mandriva is any harder to compile kernels for than any other distro.

I don't think this has anything to do with the kernel, after all how can it be a problem with the kernel that you're getting supermount errors when you haven't even patched supermount into the kernel? It must be something else, the fact that you've tried multiple kernel compiles all with the same result shows that it has to be something outside the kernel.

Sure it does. If I use a Mandriva kernel, the problems don't exist. As soon as I compile my own, errors occur. So how can you say it's not the kernel? And if it's not the kernel, then whatever problems occur are directly resulting from something lacking in the compiled kernel.

The problems occur because I'm not using a Mandriva kernel :lol:

I think you referring to the open file dialog which is a standard GTK open file dialog. It's the same under GNOME and Firefox. The Firefox guys didn't wrote their own open file dialog instead they used what was ready.

My friends and i really disappointed to see no major developement tools in Mandriva 2006 as compared to previous releases... So they naturally depend other distributions by sacrificing major plus points provided by Mandriva distribution... You may be suggesting to add those packages from online repositories... But a country with not great infrastructure for communication (poor bandwith.. most of us use dialup and GPRS to access internet personally... Educational institution provides best connections.. but there is serious limitations...), that choice is to be rejected....

I think you (and your friends) should either order a boxed set or make your own ISOs. But of course making your own ISO would require downloading the packages before so it leaves only the first option.

Guest tinks

No... I am sure that there was a File Dialoge box for the initial releases of Firefox and related projects like Thunderbird, NVU etc. I have been using that for the previous releases of Mandrake/Mandriva... just remember about the days where the Mandrake/Mandriva releases with out Firefox... only Mozilla suite... At that time, we had to download the Firefox and Thunderbird and had to install them to our system. At that time i am sure there was indeed a Open File Dialoge box...

Hey.. I got the way to show u how they look like... Just to run webeditor Nvu packed with Mandriva 2006 and look at the 'Open File' or 'Save File' dialoge box. Got it?.

Tinks, I think you might be better using a non commercial distro, I understand your probs and I presume having the CD's and being able to distribute them locally would help. You can still get help here!

I for one thinking leaving dev tools out is a bad show... I know Mandriva have to make money but this seems like a funny way to do it. To me Mandriva have too many money making schemes that don't even overlap each other properly and leaving out dev tools is a bit strange.

I mean if a devel was in a country where DSL is common they just switch to a distro that provides them?

I hestiate over Ubuntu but they will ship you free CD's. I think its easy to sit in USA/Europe and forget that the average wage in India is pretty poor and even for very skilled IT jobs less than 1/10th of Europe or the US so the cost is prohibitive.

Project manager: £5,220

Software engineer: £5,344

Accountant: £2,956

Sales rep: £2,464

Production worker: £964

erm for those wondering that's annual salary that an average IT worker would make per month in Europe/US ...

You could also order a single DVD from Debian and then copy it... which you are entitled to and they sell the DVD at cost. ...

Sure it does. If I use a Mandriva kernel, the problems don't exist. As soon as I compile my own, errors occur. So how can you say it's not the kernel? And if it's not the kernel, then whatever problems occur are directly resulting from something lacking in the compiled kernel.

But supermount is not included in the vanilla kernel. If by compiling a kernel you've introduced supermount then its something that you've done. Or (if its not something you've done when compiling your vanilla kernel) its something outside the kernel that Mandriva has done - some configuration or some modification to some other package.

Edited by timelord100

No... I am sure that there was a File Dialoge box for the initial releases of Firefox and related projects like Thunderbird, NVU etc. I have been using that for the previous releases of Mandrake/Mandriva... just remember about the days where the Mandrake/Mandriva releases with out Firefox... only Mozilla suite... At that time, we had to download the Firefox and Thunderbird and had to install them to our system. At that time i am sure there was indeed a Open File Dialoge box...

Hey.. I got the way to show u how they look like... Just to run webeditor Nvu packed with Mandriva 2006 and look at the 'Open File' or 'Save File' dialoge box. Got it?.

OK I think I got it. I checked Firefox, Thunderbird and Nvu. FF and TB are using the standard GTK open file dialog while Nvu is still using the old Mozilla open file dialog window. I think the problem, if it's a problem, is related to using different widget sets. Though this changes nothing on that it's not Mandriva's job to rewrite applications. FF and TB developers felt a need for change, only they know why, and they did it. If you want them to use the old widget set you should ask them and not Mandriva.

Edited by dexter11

They (probably) switched to the GNOME dialog because it made the desktop more streamlined (at least, for those using gnome). They also did this for the Windows release of Firefox. I think the intent was to reduce unecessary code and integrate better with the desktop.

You should still have the "Open File" and "Save Page As" options under "File" in the Firefox menu, though.

I for one thinking leaving dev tools out is a bad show... I know Mandriva have to make money but this seems like a funny way to do it. To me Mandriva have too many money making schemes that don't even overlap each other properly and leaving out dev tools is a bit strange.

I don't think they left out the dev tools to make money, I think they left them out to allow more room for desktop programs. Mandriva is a desktop distribution, after all. The dev tools aren't used nearly as much for your regular desktop user - which is who they are targetting at. I know when I go to download Fedora all I want is the basic installation, none of the dev stuff, but I can't figure out which CDs I need - there are 5 or so of them now. Like I said, Mandriva is targetting the run-of-the-mill desktop user who does not really need the dev tools. This isn't necessarily them trying to make money, just them trying to cut back on the CDs that you have to download. To me, it seems like a perfectly logical move. You can't satisfy everyone all the time, so you have to find your target market and build things around that group. One of my biggest gripes with some of the other distributions is that they try too hard to please everyone all the time and things end up being sloppy.

Also note that Mandriva has more CDs than most Linux distributions to begin with. Take a look at the other popular ones: Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo, etc. - the only popular distribution out there with more is Fedora.

Mandriva doesn't make any money out of leaving the dev stuff out of the 'Free' edition CDs. All you have to do is goto easyurpmi and setup your repos - Mandriva puts all their software (except for the closed-source and proprietary stuff) out on the Internet for free in pakcage repositories.

But supermount is not included in the vanilla kernel. If by compiling a kernel you've introduced supermount then its something that you've done. Or (if its not something you've done when compiling your vanilla kernel) its something outside the kernel that Mandriva has done - some configuration or some modification to some other package.

As I told you time and time again, I didn't introduce supermount. You need to read more carefully. And since I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem it's definitely not just me.

So yes, now you agree, that as I've compiled the kernel and not done anything abnormal, then Mandriva is the problem. :thanks:

This is what I was telling you, Mandriva have done something that stops us from compiling kernels, because of god knows what. Only they could tell us why, which is why we said to stop patching the kernel with supermount and god knows what else. But also, it seems that another point, stop making your apps work with just your own kernels, either with patches to the kernel to make them work, or some weird config that doesn't allow it to work with other self-compiled kernels.