which moderately easy to use distro?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone name any distro that have fast boot time, KDE is default WM, it contaisn good packet manager and its very updated (most recent versions of kernel...)?
Alsmost every distro can be fast. It depends on how much you are willing to tweak it and build custom kernels. Slack, Arch, Fox, Yoper, Gentoo... there are many out there. Check distrowatch. ;)

Kanotix is quite up to date and fast, you can use apt-get with it.

Kanotix is amazing.... its what is on my laptop which is old/slow .. I use the lite version!

Kano only has laptops and he works 100% WiFi and the Wifi tools and config are second to non.

I updated my GF's machine the other day some 300MB of downloads and rebooted to a prompt... ran install-nvidia-debian.sh (because the kernel waas updated) and rebooted and everything worked from an old KDE to the shiny 3.5.something. It really makes this Ubuntu install look crap... I keep wondering why I don't wipe it and just stick kanotix back to be honest... or just do a netinstall for etch.. though the mix and pinning kano already did is worth keeping and his tuned kernels worth having too. Oh and the wifi config and ... Jeez why am I still using this crippled distro...? Can't even get libpimp working with mp3's ... and my vlc keeps crashing (unlike the Marillat version) and since I get DVB through my internet connection for free and there is a vls server on my ISP gives me 100+ channels ... ahhhh

My GF has kanotix and libpimp works so I have to update my amarok from her machine... and vlc works so we get all the channels on her machine and ....

Gotta agree with Gowator... Kanotix is the best thing that could ever happen to Debian unstable, not only because the installation is braindead, but because the custom Kano kernels are textbook examples on how a custom kernel can be both fullfeatured and fast/responsive/stable.

It would be my distro of choice, hands down, but unfortunately I'm heavily infected by the ArchLinux virus, and up to date there's no antidote available for this infection! :P

Use initNG would make any distro fast in boot.

initNG is far overrated. There's so many more factors than simply which set of scripts start the system. It's about what they start, when they start it. For example, on arch, initng was slower.

iphitus

Fast boot time (My opinion is that suse and ubuntu are too slow) Recent version of Ubuntu have some problems with my rare hardware (sata1/2, x86_64 x2 smp) and I thats why I cannot even install it.

Could someone name any distro that have fast boot time, KDE is default WM, it contaisn good packet manager and its very updated (most recent versions of kernel...)?

bummer

I'm currently running ubuntu-dapper (devel) and it boots faster than any distro I have ever had, including lfs. I know you couldn't install the older versions, and you'd have to go kubuntu for kde, but I just thought I'd mention it, because it has been know to boot slow wiith previous versions but dapper's boot blows my mind. So if you are broadband get the latest, what? ...Ubuntu Dapper Flight5? ...and give it a go.

Gotta agree with Gowator... Kanotix is the best thing that could ever happen to Debian unstable, not only because the installation is braindead, but because the custom Kano kernels are textbook examples on how a custom kernel can be both fullfeatured and fast/responsive/stable.

It would be my distro of choice, hands down, but unfortunately I'm heavily infected by the ArchLinux virus, and up to date there's no antidote available for this infection! :P

What impresses me is its robustness. of 'testing' and like you say the kernel stuff ....

Its basically what we would all do if we had the time, energy and most of all the expertise then its bottled and sent out. Firs time I used knoppix I was really impressed and later did a HD install but it became obvious it wasn't a real deb HD install. kanotix does give a real debian install but it also gives you a big start on what you would add after a debian netinstall. If this happens to be the same or close choices to twhat you would have made yourself then its a guge headstart.

I originally stook it on my GF's computer thinking it would be easy to reinstall if she borked it but its more or less just done its thing and updated etc. but I guess its always good to know you can reinstall to a working system really quickly...

I'm currently running ubuntu-dapper (devel) and it boots faster than any distro I have ever had, including lfs. I know you couldn't install the older versions, and you'd have to go kubuntu for kde, but I just thought I'd mention it, because it has been know to boot slow wiith previous versions but dapper's boot blows my mind. So if you are broadband get the latest, what? ...Ubuntu Dapper Flight5? ...and give it a go.
Me, too, I have Dapper on one partition and yes, it boots faster than Breezy, but it ain't faster than my e.g. Fedora or Mandriva or Slack boxes. While they surely improved the overall speed, Openoffice became slow like a slug. I don't know why... :unsure: Hope they fix it till Dapper gets officially released.

Damn! I will be writting an essay at the uni then! Stupid EU rights... spoling Linux fun...

*grumbles, grumbles, grumbles

------

/Imagines a lot of people dancing with that counter on their monitors :D