which moderately easy to use distro?

Just to add, I have old mp3's to, but the majority of my stuff has been ripped to ogg now.

Like I said, all that stuff is easy to get, the point of Fedora is to have a truly FREE OS and I think that is one of the greatest parts, besides its an awesome distro but the FREE part is cool B)

In other news, there are portable ogg players now that you can plug into your car, take for a walk or whatever else you want to do :)

Yes, I have an ipod cause I bought it before those players were out.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for me I don't care about the politics of OSS or not OSS at all. If I have mp3 then my OS has to play mp3, if the OS doesn't allow that, I get another OS.

My system has to serve me, not the other way around,

and I'm not going to re-rip my cd's to ogg just because it's a free format.

As for me I don't care about the politics of OSS or not OSS at all. If I have mp3 then my OS has to play mp3, if the OS doesn't allow that, I get another OS.

My system has to serve me, not the other way around,

and I'm not going to re-rip my cd's to ogg just because it's a free format.

Sounds like you are a potential Arch Linux diehard! :P

But of course you don't have to do it right now... take your time...

Edited by scarecrow

Oh, I forgot to comment on vmware :)

While I like vmware-server (free) still not open free :)

But if Fedora included the ability to install vmware like arch/gentoo and maybe some others, then there would be no need for rh to work on xen and openvz.

http://www.redhat.com/virtualization/

so, I wouldn't be able to install VMware on Fedora? :huh:

this is even more locked up than Windows then, oss my ass

No,this isn't the point... you CAN use VMWare under Fedora, but you must install and resolve it yourself, while under Gentoo or Arch you just have to install the non-free binary and everything will be set automatically for you.

Aw...Suddenly this thread turns into dead-serious :unsure:

To lightening things up I recommend:

carebear_05.jpg

B) :D :D

:thumbs::lol2:

Yeah, you can install vmware from vmware.com pretty easy on fedora. rpm -ivh vmware*

Just a warning, you will need a patch from http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/

http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-any-update98.tar.gz

and NO, fedora didn't crip it so you have to use Petr Vandrovec patch. Petr always creates these patches when the "kernel" breaks something, some were around 2.6.15-git4 broke it.

Yes, even Gentoo/arch/ubuntu/<insert distro here> needs this patch if it is a newer kernel :P

Hi!

Due to the recent happenings with Mandriva and Gael Duval in particular I've made up my mind that the next Linux release I'll install will be not Mandriva.

Why base your choice of distro on the distro's company policy or whoever works for the company rather than on which distro works best for you? :huh:

I understood your reason but your argument is in the same line of dissing Jimmy Swagart's arguments for fidelity because he cheated, ie. his arguments have nothing to do with his personal behaviout, they are 2 different entities,

Anyway as for myself I tried Knoppix, (K)Ubuntu and Mandriva and still think Mandriva is the best around in terms of ease of use, available packages and configurability.

I have no idea who Jimmy Swagart is, so I didn't understand a thing, but my behaviour has everything to do with my idea of what an OSS project should be.

I've tried a bit more distros and agree that Mandriva is a very fine one.

I have no idea who Jimmy Swagart is, so I didn't understand a thing,

I'm sorry, that was Jimmy Swaggart, a famous tv-evangelist from the States, caught with a hooker.... The point I was trying to make though, is: judge a product (or an argument) by its merits not by the morality, character or filosophy of its creator.

Change because you are unhappy with Mandriva the distro or found a better distro but don't change because you don't like Mandriva company policy....