Quick and Easy Kernel Compile Upgrade

ianw1974

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any idea how to deal with that supermount option on 2.6.15? I tried 2.6.15 already and got to successfully install it from source, but after booting on it, I encountered the problem regarding supermount, and it seems that its not supported on 2.6.15, or any 2.6 kernel that comes directly from source... but on mandriva distributed 2.6.** kernel, supermount is supported... below on the first image, taken when I tried to compile the 2.6.15 from source (which came from kernel.org) and took the snapshot on the psuedo file system portion

kernel-003.jpg

and it does not show any supermount option to enable, while on the next image, snapshot taken on 2.6.12 kernel that came from mandriva LE 2005..

kernel-002.jpg

see, there is a supermount option to define...

due to that ( no supoermount), I can't mount or access the CDROm drive.

any idea?

Edited by aioshin

I think it needs a patch applying. I'm currently looking for one now to check/test.

EDIT:

scrap that, the patch isn't released for later kernels and the one I downloaded only is as far as 2.6.3 and causes a few problems in that it won't compile. I have seen another option, but I'm just getting my kernel-source clean again after the patch applying. Will update this post once I've enabled the option in the kernel for automounting.

I've been doing the same now. What I have noticed is that under File Systems --> Kernel automounter version 4 support (also supports v3) is enabled and selected as a module.

I think this is what is the alternative, and I think you need to urpmi autofs and have this service running, and then configure using the /etc/auto.master file as /etc/auto.misc file to access the CDROM and get it to mount. Unfortunately it hasn't worked as of yet, but I'll keep trying.

The other alternative is trying to find the right patch for supermount to apply to the kernel and then compile.

Link: http://www.linuxhq.com/lg/issue24/nielsen.html

ur a genius Ian :P

thanks for mentioning autofs,... did you know that my primary reason of installing new kernel is to overcome some problems I encountered with autofs, but that's a network related one... but then, when encountered a problem with "supermount not supported" on kernel 2.6.15, I forgot that cdrom can also be mounted using aufofs, so now, I can mount it via autofs...

how?

install autofs

then edit /etc/auto.master

sample:

#
# $Id: auto.master,v 1.3 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# Sample auto.master file
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# For details of the format look at autofs(5).
/mnt	/etc/auto.misc

then check your /etc/auto.misc , the entry that refer to cdrom

#
# $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
#
# This is an automounter map and it has the following format
# key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
# Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

cd			  -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

# the following entries are samples to pique your imagination
#linux		  -ro,soft,intr		   ftp.example.org:/pub/linux
#boot		   -fstype=ext2			:/dev/hda1
#floppy		 -fstype=auto			:/dev/fd0
#floppy		 -fstype=ext2			:/dev/fd0
#e2floppy	   -fstype=ext2			:/dev/fd0
#jaz			-fstype=ext2			:/dev/sdc1
#removable	  -fstype=ext2			:/dev/hdd

above is the default /etc/auto.misc

to access the cdrom, you cant directly click the icon, since it refers to /mnt/cdrom and the entry above has a name "cd" only, the first part followed "-fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom" so to access the cdrom, you just have to browse /mnt/cd or "ls /mnt/cd" thu you dont have to manually create the /mnt/cd folder, since it is defined on /etc/auto.master "/mnt /etc/auto.misc" that "cd" should be mounted on "/mnt"

then you just have to create a shorcut of it on the desktop.

oh.., btw, dont forget to run autofs as service, then everytime you edit autofs, as root, do a "/etc/init.d/autofs reload"

Edited by aioshin

I've changed it so it works :P that way no need for desktop icon, as you can pull it straight from the Devices icon.

Here is what you need to do:

/etc/modprobe.conf

alias autofs autofs4

now, that will sort out the module side of things. Now:

urpmi autofs
chkconfig nfslock off
mkdir /media

add this to /etc/auto.master:

/media /etc/auto.cdrom --timeout 10

now create /etc/auto.cdrom:

cdrom -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

start the autofs service:

service autofs restart

now you can use your system normally. It uses /media/cdrom correctly, and you can also do similar for your floppy drive as well. See the howto I previously posted a link to, but keep the format the same as the above so it uses /media/floppy. Otherwise, it tries to use /media/floppy/floppy as per the howto and doesn't work. By just specifying /media in auto.master, it then appends cdrom from auto.cdrom thus creating /media/cdrom as the mountpoint. If you have /media/cdrom in auto.master, it then tries to create /media/cdrom/cdrom.

If anyone else has upgraded their kernel following this guide, please post your problems and/or resolutions if you have any. That way, we can make sure that if someone does attempt a kernel upgrade, they have all the info they need to get themselves up and running.

I couldn't find a supermount patch, so I presume that Mandriva have modified their own version, since the latest patch was for kernel 2.6.3. Don't bother to apply this, it screws the kernel-source, and you have to clear it and start again. I tried. The autofs approach is by far better.

If I put a CD in it stays mounted. When I eject it, and try an immediate ls /mnt/cdrom it fails to list anything. Note however, the mnt/cdrom directory is hidden when the disk is unmounted, and only becomes visible when you put a disk in the drive.

I think the timeout would take place if it can't read the disk, and therefore doesn't mount it.

try also if any of your cd burner will work on that situation since mine wont, though it automount when I do ls /mnt/cdrom

timeout should takeplace even if the disk is on the drive but you did not access it or no open files on it for the specified time

Edited by aioshin

I just put blank cd in, and then burnt a cd no problems. However, this was copying openoffice2 rpms that I downloaded to install on my machine here, and then take home to save downloading twice (my internet slow at home).

I then mounted it OK too after burning. If I experience any probs, I'll remove the timeout line. But seems to be working OK now. And it didn't unmount if I didn't use it :P

I've made changes to the autofs post. I've replaced /mnt with /media, because I then found that when autofs is controlling /mnt you cannot access your /mnt/windows partition.

Therefore, creating a /media directory, keeps your hard disk mounts separate from your removable media mounts, and is more stable.

and would you believe that on opensuse 10.1, they will drop the subfs, which is equivalent to supermount on mandriva....

ian... I'll try that tommorow, am using windows right now :huh: , ..googled about supermount patch, and it shows that there are patches on it but for kernel with previous version, I dont know if it could be applied to the latest one

I've made changes to the autofs post. I've replaced /mnt with /media, because I then found that when autofs is controlling /mnt you cannot access your /mnt/windows partition.

hmmnn.. I did'nt feel it, coz I dont have a windows partition on my desktop anymore, but on other machines, I have a linux partition under mount, I'll check it later...

Edited by aioshin

I tried the supermount patches for 2.6.3 and they didn't work. So have a funny feeling unless it's for the current release it won't. autofs works good for me, so am happy with this as a solution to the supermount problem.