Any recommendation for Linux friendly ISP ?

Guest mantunc

Guest mantunc

I am looking for a linux friendly ISP in New York region.

I did use MSN but my free subscribtion is over , now I am using Bluelight but I cant log in when I use KPPP. I tried to get help from Bluelight in vain.

Thanks in advance

They're all linux usable. TCP/IP is TCP/IP well you get the idea. If you coudln't get on using KPPP chances are it was a setting that was either missed ot not put in correctly. I say this only because it's sooooo darn easy to do.

As for calling then ISP for help, unless you need some frustration I strongly suggest not doing that. The first words out of thier mouths will be something like:" We don't support Linux, please go into your Control Panel..." :-)

Are you sure that the info you put into KPPP was correct? User name, pass, number etc? Did you try one of the other dialers?

Guest mantunc

I know KPP is easy to configure but either my user name or my passsword seems incorrect, however neither of them is incorrect. when I used MSN, the same thing happened and I changed my_user_name into MSN/my_user_name and then there was no problem. MSN is not the only case that one has to change his username into a different one, the following info taken from

http://isp.bestrateisp.com/cgi-mod/mi/welc...mail=&referrer=

"Macintosh, Linux, and manual DUN Instructions:

If you are a Macintosh or Linux user, or if you wish to manually configure your Windows system to use DUN (Microsoft Dial-up Networking - for advanced Windows users only), you do not need any software to access Best Rate ISP. You must simply configure your system to dial PPP (OpenTransport or RemoteAccess for Mac users). You will use the username you provided with "- Best3244@api" at the end. For example, if your username is "joe55", you would use "joe55-Best3244@api" as your username, and the password you selected earlier.."

That's why, if the isp does not provide this information, how am i supposed to find out my username changed by ISP , when I use Linux?

[/u][/b][/i]

interestingly, with my ISP, I don't enter a username or password, and their protocol is what is normally used for cable modems, when they are providing DSL service.... this caused me quite a bit of frustration originally, since they actually knew nothing about the service themselves, they were just a front for SBC.

Guest mantunc

yes I did.

I did try several combinations of username and isp name.

None of them works.

As I mentioned before what I entered for MSN was MSN/my_user_name.

I got this info from MSN support .

Is there any way of getting this info without the ISP support, because they dont know anything about this problem.

I believe Ronin meant that getting a setting wrong is 'so darn easy to do'. Have you tried your username both with and without the '@bluelight.com' or whatever?

Yes exaclty, I didn't mean that KPPP was "so darn easy to do" I meant that's it really easy to hit the wrong key and not catch it etc..

The easiest thing to nerf in KPPP is the authentication protocol. KPPP supports PAP CHAP and a combination of the two, as well as scripts.

Look to see what protocol your Windoze dialer uses and play around with it.

• 7 months later...

Look, if you call up and tell them you use linux your screwed so don't.

you have a whole load of options to get the info but you must try and protect your poor ISP from the truth.

Here's what I'd do.

You call them up/email (prefer email) and explain you have a external firewall/cable which you bought when you went wireless.. (If they say they don't support this you can come up with an excuse why you can't get to the room where the cable/DSL box is....so you need to change ISP if they can't support it!

Tell them you can log into this fine (through internet explorer) but it has a configuration screen that is asking for the following information.

Now get all the information you need to connect from the cable setup in mandrake and enter that into your request.

Many ISP's only want to support WinBlows and grudgingly MAC becuase they don't want support calls when they can just give out the box and a Winblows install Cd that wil set it up.

Instead of wasting your time arguing over them supporting something concentrate on deviously getting the information you need :D :D

Look, if you call up and tell them you use linux your screwed so don't.  

you have a whole load of options to get the info but you must try and protect your poor ISP from the truth.

Here's what I'd do.  

You call them up/email (prefer email) and explain you have a external firewall/cable which you bought when you went wireless..  (If they say they don't support this you can come up with an excuse why you can't get to the room where the cable/DSL box is....so you need to change ISP if they can't support it!  

Tell them you can log into this fine (through internet explorer) but it has a configuration screen that is asking for the following information.  

Now get all the information you need to connect from the cable setup in mandrake and enter that into your request.  

Many ISP's only want to support WinBlows and grudgingly MAC becuase they don't want support calls when they can just give out the box and a Winblows install Cd that wil set it up.  

Instead of wasting your time arguing over them supporting something concentrate on deviously getting the information you need :D :D

crafty! i like it!

Many hardware routers etc. are actually linux based.

But no-one knows so no-one objects.

Many of these boxes use linux becuase it provides http/dhcp/ipchains all built into linux there's an article on the IBM site on how to build your own hardware router based on linux ....(the site cybrjackle referenced)

At the end of the day the ISP's are mainly just reselling a comodity and probably understand little of its workings so they choose the simplest method..... configure from CD.

Of course if you set it up under linux you learn about the authentification and stuff but the average windex drone is probably incapable of even understanding sdo they make it simple.

Having invested in 90% of the market by making a CD to releive the average Windex drone the tedium of knowing their authentification they are reluctant to support people who can't use the Cd.

Its fair enough.... you just have to be crafty and get the information from them :D

You can not assume they all work. When I first started using linux I was with a small local ISP, and I couldn't connect. Being a small ISP I had already talked on the phone with and emailed the owner. So I called them and said, "hey, I can't connect with linux". They checked their logs and found it to be a auth prob because of MSCHap5 (I think). They, just for me, enabled Standard MSChap, then I could connect. Not related to me, though effecting me was a prob with their server modems freezing. I ran pppd in debug mode and used tail to monitor when I had weird stuff happening>sent them the logs and it enabled them to resolve the prob. I know this is a very small ISP, but the experience was very pleasing, comming from CompuSuck -I mean Serve-. SweepNet is the name and they are in Houston, TX. I still had some disconnect issues that really got anoying and inconsistant so I tried another local ISP called MyLinuxISP (Win and Lin), and they have great tech support as well. B4 I even signed on I had emailed them 2 or 3 times with questions and they, of course wanting me to sign on, were very helpful. Since singing on with them I've only had one prob but they were still quick to respond and very helpful. Good ISP's exist.....and ISP's that focus and/or run linux are out there......search. :wink: