Any recommendation for Linux friendly ISP ?

Guest mantunc

Actually bvc makes a very good point.

My method is a bit selfish....

You get it working for you....

bvc's method actually encourages the ISP's to supprt linux and helps everyone.

Mainly the CHAP-PPP stuff should be OK over time, especially if they also support MAC. but as he points out they can get windowsified without realising it.

I've been using a cheap isp called Access-4-Free. You get up to 10hrs free per month, after that you get charged up to 9.95. Or you can just pay the 9.95 and get unlimited internet. I've used it with both redhat and mandrake (and XP) with no problems at all. Not sure if they have new york numbers, but its worth a look. Also you get charged 4.95 to sign up with them.

heres their link: http://www.access-4-free.com/faq.htm

Unless they have changed Bright.net (mostly ohio, USA) works fine in linux on dialup. Haven't used this one in years.

Currently I use Roadrunner Cable ISP. They say they don't support Linux, which they don't. However, I use it just fine in Mandrake. If they supply you with a USB ethernet adapter: don't try to use it. Use a regular PCI ethernet nic.

in Network configuration, select auto detection. when the menu come up, select Cable, instead of LAN (unless you have a LAN, which I don't). On the next screen, leave the IP address blank and click next or whatever it is. Now you need to enter a valid hostname (this is all that needs to be done). Mandrake takes care of the rest of it, and you are up and on Roadrunner!!

The first time I did this, I was astonished at how easy it is! Consider that I had used winipcfg to get all of the info, only to find that I only needed the hostname. Duh!

Roadrunner does not use any proprietary software or OS sniffer. It is not cheap, but it is worth it. If you have wondoze also, do NOT install RR Medic!! In fact, do not install anything on the CD they provide, as none of it is needed. Besides, the install program HATES it if the nic shares an IRQ, and will abort.

Btw, a Linux friendly ISP, is one that does not use propietary interface or dialer, which is usually limited to windows (and maybe Macintosh).