Mandriva 2006, Suse 9.3/10 & a network issue

RiccardoPini

:P

Let us know how you get on after checking these. Also look for Plug and PLay OS and make sure it's disabled and not set to OS controlled. Wording might be slightly different, or this option might not exist. Doesn't seem to on newer boards.

Yep today i will do these bios checkings. For now ive used the Load Default option. About the PnP ive only the voice Resources Controlled by...and i can choose between Manual and ESCD. If Manual inside the IRQs i can have PnP or Reserved showed. Which is i say reserved i dont even know if Linux can use them properly. Will it?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore this option, leave this as it's configured, and just use the Load Optimised, and then see how you get on.

Ciao! Here i am. I did but same...uff...ok the way to be sure to see the nic seen by the router (in the meaning that the realtek everytime i switch on the pc has its nice led up on the router but ifconfig-ing it shows the ip but not the so wanted word RUNNING), is to disable it in the bios. Then to load linux, then reboot, enable and set it again in linux. Once is up i can reboot billions of times and everything is ok but not switch off. Why do u want to switch it off btw ppl could ask me?!? :lol2::screwy: :huh: :wall:

Hi,

ive borrowed a router from a friend of mine, a dlink. I connected it, switched on and i got the same problem as usual. about the router isnt possibile to have doubts coz as been deattached from a win machine and connected through eth to mine. It shows the led for the attached nic but not possibility to bring it up and ping the router.

Im considering to simple use a eth modem or to do a check with another motherboard.

Cheers,

Ric

Just out of interest, have you tried a knoppix live cd? I'm just wondering if you boot from this CD into the full gui, and test as you have been with an installed version, whether you get the same effects.

They do DVD and CD versions now I believe. Might be worth a try at least.

Just out of interest, have you tried a knoppix live cd? I'm just wondering if you boot from this CD into the full gui, and test as you have been with an installed version, whether you get the same effects.

They do DVD and CD versions now I believe. Might be worth a try at least.

I already did it with Ubuntu live cd taken out from Chip IT magazine :) But it's the same. At this point i think it's really and hardware issue.

Yeah, I kind of have a feeling it's something related to your system board. But what exactly I've no idea!

Sorry i always forgot to report ive a scsi controller a 29160N which ive seen yesterday it itakes the irq11, always. If i plug two nics one jumps in irq 11 driven there by bios but, using only one i obtain a more normal situation where the nic is on irq10 and scsi on 11. For a while i thought it could be this the problem but when i kept everything with its own irq nothing changed.

Are you using the SCSI card right now? If not, remove it, and see how the machine behaves.

Then if it does work, try this next. Add the card back in. Then reboot the machine and check /proc/interrupts to see what has grabbed what irq. Eg:

cat /proc/interrupts

Then, if you power the machine off, and back on to replicate the problem, check the interrupts again. How does it compare to when the system works fine with the network card?

Are you using the SCSI card right now? If not, remove it, and see how the machine behaves.

Then if it does work, try this next. Add the card back in. Then reboot the machine and check /proc/interrupts to see what has grabbed what irq. Eg:

cat /proc/interrupts

Then, if you power the machine off, and back on to replicate the problem, check the interrupts again. How does it compare to when the system works fine with the network card?

Ahh thank you! I had this test in my mind to do it yesterday eve but didnt know where in Mandriva see the log of the interrupts. So i went on working using the ifconfig so do the same purpose.

Ive to use the scsi coz it drives my LVM hdds... :)

My system at home, here are the specs, as it also has an Adaptec 29160 SCSI card, I just don't have anything attached to it. Anyhow, the machine itself was built by me, and is about 4 years old now, so not the newest but:

Gigabyte System Board

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

1GB RAM (2 x 512MB)

Creative Labs/NVidia GEForce TI4400 128MB Video Card

Linksys 10/100 Network card

US Robotics PCI Modem

Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

USB2 PCI Card

1.44MB FDD

20GB HDD Master (Primary IDE Controller)

160GB HDD Slave (Primary IDE Controller)

DVD-ROM (Secondary IDE Controller)

DVD-RW (Secondary IDE Controller)

Not exactly a minimal install of hardware, but I can imagine people have much more installed too. I use Mandriva 2006, and no IRQ problems whatsoever. But, I'm not using the SCSI card, although it's installed and detected, the network works fine, every time. Power off, or reboot.

Remember it's different for Windows. The system normally limits to about 15 irqs. PCI devices share one irq, therefore allowing you to to use more devices than if you had ISA devices.

In Windows, it's easy to see IRQ's showing as 20 or even as high as 30, which normally isn't possible! I've never gotten around to understanding how they managed to achieve this in Windows. I can only think it's some kind of virtual irq assigned through the sharing of a lower valid irq.

Although I could be wrong :P