Mandriva 2006, Suse 9.3/10 & a network issue

RiccardoPini

Hi to all! Sorry if this mesage will be a bit long, ill try to keep it as short as possible. The problem regards my home pc and the networking with the eth cards (same problem with 2 eth cards) and the router and these OSes: Mandriva 2006, Suse 9.3 and 10 but no with WinXp (which i dont like).

Synoptic: Pc based on a Aopen motherboard with Realtek 8139 eth and a 3com gigabit ethernet controller (sk98lin module), router US Robotics router/modem w 4ports. Connection to Internet throught PPPoAtm.

Behaviour (this has been checked doing lot of tests): the only way for have everything working is to set with static ip the ethx adapters and make a hard reset with the button to the router (i mean with the reset button not the power button), bringing it back to its factory default. Under these circumstancies everything works fine with all the OSes.

Otherwise if i switch off the pc (leaving the motherboard under current or completely deattach it from the power it doesnt matter), or if i switch off the router, at the next reboot i get this: the network can be brought up by the OSes, but actually the ethxx dont come up (leds are red), and there is no way to bring them up unless i do some functions like hwup and down and ifplugd and so on (this last one only under Suse9.3 coz with Suse 10 isnt working). Ive never found a way for create an exact script neither...

With Mandriva instead i can setup everything in a proper way with the MCC using the dhcp or the static way but as soon as i reboot i get that strange behaviour.

I would like to say i followed all the howtos i could find online about network setup but nothing works...that's the behaviour i get. Also if i set up everything with dhcp then i swicth off and then on, and nothing works, if i change to static IP i can bring up the ethxx but if i set all with static IPs and then i reboot and i try dhcp for have them brought up nothing works.

Please help!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found a few things that can be done based on Realtek 8139 cards. First, I tend to disable ipv6 since it doesn't really get used much anyway, unless you have hardware that actually requires it.

To disable ipv6, edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add:

alias net-pf-10 off

then, the other thing to check, is to disable apic, as this affects 8139 cards sometimes. So, go into System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Boot and Boot Loader. In here, there are options for disabling apic and local apic. First, disable apic, by making sure the box is checked, and then clicking next and finish.

Then reboot, and see if that helps any. If not, go back into Boot Loader again, and disable local apic as well, and then reboot again.

I'd also try and perhaps set up the interfaces properly not using MCC.

I don't know what MCC does exactly do you ?

Hence its hard to work out which part isd screwing up which part when you can't tell what is happening...

Suse is screwed because you can't really use proper config tools and the config files all have 'do not edit by hand' in them so you are stuck at that end so is probably easier to stick with getting mandriva solved first.

One aspect to check is probably the full/half duplex settings and speed settings 10/100 in the modules.

Its my experience that the more sophisticated routers do auto-negotiation and so do the cards. If they are both set to auto negotiate the speed and full/half duplex they often time themselves out.

MCC seems to work properly following and leaving the setting i insert in the fields. Only when i move from DHCP to Static i saw the MCC network panel showing my dns ip was the gateway ip but once i changed it, MCC kept the record and everything went fine...until the next reboot.

Will try the tests i told and report back here asap.

Thanks for now!

MCC seems to work properly following and leaving the setting i insert in the fields. Only when i move from DHCP to Static i saw the MCC network panel showing my dns ip was the gateway ip but once i changed it, MCC kept the record and everything went fine...until the next reboot.

You can possibly configure this in the router. When I deal with the professional CISCO stuff I usually set it directly to 100MB full ... (presuming the cards support it which should be most now) because the config in the cards and different OS's is always different.

I used to support Solaris AIX , NT and Linux all on the same Network and it gets to be a pain trying to synch them all so I just use the router/swtcih to stay static and let the cards autodetect...

Hi im back from other tests: same (read it as no) result. It's left only to disable the IPV6 as last chance and delete the sit0 entry.

First ive disabled the Apic functions using MCC rebooted and re-enabled the onboard realtek ethernet: in this case Mandriva brought up the realtek and the 3com and i could access the router perfectly. Then ive switched off the pc completely (really no power to it) and then on: Mandriva told during the boot it could bring up both the ethxx but i couldnt access the router. Honestly during this i got the led on the router indicating the realtek port green and stable but no light for the 3com.

Inside Bios i didnt find any entry regarding the PnP OSs honestly.

I :cry: did all this having set up the router for no dhcp and gave static IPs to the cards.

On the comp ive only the Mandriva now: the examples about i wrote related to Suse9.3 were real but referred to a pure Suse9.3 installation which doesnt exist anymore. WinXP is something i dont even want to name.

:cry:

:help:

Disable the ipv6 since it's your only option left.

I'm just wondering why you have two ethernet cards connected to the same hub/switch? Unless you are teaming the 3COM and the Realtek, then you will get connectivity problems, especially if they are both on the same IP range.

:) Right question: it's just for test which one works better. Also the 3com covers the Gigabit eth while the old realtek stops at 100.

I only wonder how all this can happen coz i think the combination of a network card a router and a Dsl connection is so wide spread all over the world...maybe new motherboard? But i dont think so coz in the past WinXP was working well, also the cards cannot be coz when i can use them (not at the same time of course), they do really work well.

Can someone here tell me how has filled the configurations inside MCC or their experience about the network config under Linux?

hmm. Im posting from suse right now and what a pain it was to get working....

it s still half working .. that is DHCP failed compltely and YaST failed to set the IP manually even though it said it had!

In the end I configured it by hand ....

Lets try this for your mandrake one

Ignore the MCC its the second worst piece of malware in linux after YaST.

You might wanna copy this somewhere as a text file then copy/paste but if any of these give erros get back...

First we take down the interface eth0

ifconfig eth0 down

if it says eth0 has no config get back!

(assuming your subnet is meant to be 192.168.1.0/255 (change as needed)

now lets set the ip4 ...

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 MASK 255.255.255.0

check your /etc/resolv.conf

here is mine for FREE.FR....

nld9-:/home/NLDUser # more /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 212.27.54.252

nameserver 212.27.39.2

search free.fr

this should work for you but its best to use your ISP's nameservers ...

then check the /etc/nsswitch.conf contains DNS at least files DNS

now check the default routes

route

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

if you don't have an internal route then

route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0

if you don't have a default then you can add it like

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 (mine is 254 for a funny reason) assuming your router is here.

ping www.mandrakeusers.org

nld9-vmware:/home/NLDUser # ping www.mandrakeusers.org

PING mandrakeusers.org (83.245.15.165) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from kwh.kernow-gb.com (83.245.15.165): icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=38.1 ms64 bytes from kwh.kernow-gb.com (83.245.15.165): icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=42.0 ms64 bytes from kwh.kernow-gb.com (83.245.15.165): icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=38.1 ms64 bytes from kwh.kernow-gb.com (83.245.15.165): icmp_seq=4 ttl=52 time=38.9 ms64 bytes from kwh.kernow-gb.com (83.245.15.165): icmp_seq=5 ttl=52 time=41.9 ms

--- mandrakeusers.org ping statistics ---

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 38.136/39.842/42.037/1.785 ms

if this does not work try

ping 83.245.15.165

if this works and mandrakeusers.org does not THEN it is your DNS resolution not working....

I always use mcc and never had any problems with configuring my card. Since you've done some of the things, it seems the Realtek is now working perfectly fine, but you have problems with only the 3COM card now.

I'd suggest using the one that works best for you, which seems to be the Realtek unless I'm mistaken.

Wasn't the problem that he looses the connection when he power cycles though ?

My MCC experiecne (back in 9.1 which is when it started getting inciduous) was if it works first time it works but once it fails it can be real hard to recover from it.

Probably the biggest reason i don't use Mandrake anymore is the MCC because I am fundamentally opposed to distro specific tools.

Do check with more reboots, would suggest removing the 3COM though, and concentrate on the Realtek for the time being. If you don't have a gigabit switch, then the 3COM isn't going to give you any advantages over the Realtek at 100Mbps.