Mandriva 2006, Suse 9.3/10 & a network issue

RiccardoPini

I did use a D-LINK in a machine that had a Realtek onboard, and disabled it in the BIOS and it worked a treat. Even with Linux as well. I never switched to the on-board though, but the config options listed above helped get your Realtek working, and would do the same for me also.

It seems the apic option is a common thing with the realtek's.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

im writing from the home comp but it doesnt seem to have resolved it yet...uff. Anyway just for post with a bit more calm some deteìails:

when everything is working like now the route command shows in no time these infos:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1

the ifconfig these ones:

ifconfig

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0A:5E:53:DF:7E
         inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
         inet6 addr: fe80::20a:5eff:fe53:df7e/64 Scope:Link
         UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
         RX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
         RX bytes:254 (254.0 B )  TX bytes:998 (998.0 B )
         Interrupt:11 Memory:e3000000-0

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
         inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
         inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
         UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
         RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
         TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
         collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
         RX bytes:0 (0.0 B )  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B )

resolv.conf shows the search domain and the dns properly.

If i bring down the eth1 (i only disabled the eth0 - Realtek from the bios) then i cannot bring it up anymore. This corresponds to the switch off behaviour with the power button. After a non working scenario i enabled the eth0 onboard card from bios and i got suddenly the eth1 brought up too. Now the eth1 is working under static IP while the eth0 is down coz it's trying to use dhcp and the router has the dhcp server service turned off.

So seems that i have to create a particular big I/O event for be able to use the network card and then reach the router and so on.

There's to notice also that when the card doesnt work Mandriva shows the ethxx up during the boot while isnt. and the ifconfig ethxx up and the ifup commands are accepted and the icon in the task bar changes coherently while instead isnt real.

Any idea? Is it a kernel bug? Shall i call Mr.Torvalds? :P Call a priest?

What you can do to disable eth0 completely, but leaving it enabled in the bios is to delete the ifcfg-eth0 file in this location:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

then eth0 will never be brought up and attempt to get DHCP, and hopefully eth1 will connect normally from then on.

Ok will do, thanks!

It's still left to force to disable the ipv6 but honestly i dont see trace of it in any configuration but will do for sure. Also i have seen that as soon as i enable from the bios the realtek it appears the sit0 in Mandriva. Another thing is this: for make all work as it should be i must leave switched on the router and i can switch off the pc but leaving the ac power on in order to have the mainboard under charge (i mean with the voltage). I did different tests and in this way at every reboot every works.

Linux likes the "server" approach :P :D

But would be nice to hear something from Mandriva Team also about all this. Also to

know some sure hardware combination like: mainboard + eth card(s) + router

that always works.

Mine is: Aopen AX4B 533 Tube, Realtek 8139 onboard eth and 3Com gigabit

eth, USRobotics router/modem mod13950 4ports switch.

On reflection it looks like your adapters are not fixed and coming up in different orders.

That is which becomes eth0 and eth1 is changing according to one being up-down etc.

If you are using hotplug this might be due to a faulty adapter which erroniously reports having a cable present.

the answer to this probably lies in the alias's in the modules which is significantly different in Debian based distro's (which Im using now) to Mandriva last time I looked.

I have a feeling if you had configured it first only with the built in realtek it would have been OK but as I think I mentioned when MCC goes wrong it tends to take a lot of extra fixing because you are newver sure exactly what it did.

Another fix might be to delete both interfaces complety (including references in alias) and the /etc/network/interfaces stuff and start with none after taking out the 3Com

One potentiual error is not knowing which card is which when trying to configure them so you end up applying stuff for a different card to the other one which drops you in it deeper ...

On reflection it looks like your adapters are not fixed and coming up in different orders.

That is which becomes eth0 and eth1 is changing according to one being up-down etc.

If you are using hotplug this might be due to a faulty adapter which erroniously reports having a cable present.

This is coz when i do the tests i switch off and on in the bios the realtek. I thought about the hotpluggin also, i want to keep it disabled anyway. Never like the PnP since its introduction on the market.

the answer to this probably lies in the alias's in the modules which is significantly different in Debian based distro's (which Im using now) to Mandriva last time I looked.

You know more than me honestly how an alias can affect all this?

Another fix might be to delete both interfaces complety (including references in alias) and the /etc/network/interfaces stuff and start with none after taking out the 3Com

This will be done as soon as i will receive the dvd from Mandriva coz for now im working with the 2Gb download, it's not the final installation as i intended to do.

One potentiual error is not knowing which card is which when trying to configure them so you end up applying stuff for a different card to the other one which drops you in it deeper ...

This u can feel it on your skin as soon as you face a problem in Linux.

This is why i always prefer doing things by hand... it can take a bit longer to start off but you know what you did afterwards... (well sometimes not :D) its not linux doing this though its because prog's like MCC and harddrake are mainly just hacked together .. and not tested on diverse HW or situations which are reasonably common like having two ethernet adapters.

Often they work if you make the right answers first time and the logic usually falls apart when you make an error and try and back out .. they simply didn't provide a option for that.

Im undecided what to do for the next installation if to leave enabled the realtek but use the 3Com under Mandriva (deleting all the entries, aliases and so on of the eth0 = Realtek), or instead take away the 3Com and use only the Realtek.

A correct procedure for install the eth card is to do it durint the OS installation or better leave it when everything is set up?