Mandriva 2006, Suse 9.3/10 & a network issue

RiccardoPini

From another post:

> I have been bordering on the fact that it is the modem/router for a

> while, I use dozens of the 8193 network cards here and have never had

> problems also the fact that /both/ your different chipset nics show the

> same problem points to something external to your machine.

im thinking about the same, infact im working on the router now. Two nics,

same behviour, 3 distros, and two diff cables (one came along with the

router and another normal one i bought), cannot mistake.

> One thought on the router side is to check that you are not allocating

> an IP on your machine that might be in its DHCP pool ( if you can

> change that in your router ) normally you can specify the range of the

> dynamically allocated IP`s maybe your router does not like you putting

> a static address that is inside the pool?????

Would be strange. Using DHCP on router and under linux the connection led

goes on but it's unable to fix an Ip to the nic (it shows "determining ip

address" but the procedure never ends), instead if i decide for static ip

for both i obtain that for a reboot i can find everything goin up, but for

one reboot. Anyway, normal behaviour would require that i can bring up/down

the nic as much as i want and see the router finding them (led on), and use

it, right? This never happened. I wonder if the "Winbleah" Easy

configurator procedure wrote something inside the router's firmware. But i

think that i jumped over this when under linux ive updated the firmware and

did several hard reset on it.

> And we all know that you have checked/replaced the cable?????

Will (again) check them.

> And you are only connecting one nic to the router at the same time????

Yes of course. Worked with only the Realtek without have phisically in the

3com and viceversa with Realtek disabled and the 3com in.

> pci=routeirq

This i already tried time ago and didnt work. (Which hits another point

against the router).

This is the link to the router in-rom web based interface. Do you see

something particular i should do/not do?

http://www.usr.com/support/9105/9105-ug/index.htm

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi to all i hope im coming out from all this...

i did but it didnt resolve the problem. Honestly happened that fro two times i could reboot the pc from a total power off condition (meaning no electric connection), and i got the nc brought up and i could surf the net. After one reboot everything went down. Then i tried to apply as dns server 192.168.1.1 and nothing else in the resolv.conf but didnt work out. So i rebooted again and reset the ESCD but same negative behaviour, i tried to after another reboot to edit with mcc inserting dns 0.0.0.0 but was the same. So after another reboot i left blanks in the dns fields and got the surprise to see everything go up (without have to reboot). So THIS is the behaviour of linux in these situations. Any idea why it does so? Honestly i have to check with some other power up and down if everything will go on working. Will leave the router on anyway.

In general i'd agree to anyone that would like to place one of these emoticons close to this crazy post...: :screwy::wall::angry::cry: ...

Sorry for the delay but i have the computer at home and when i write here im at work. During the weekend i did some tests, but i can only confirm what ive told before. Usually what i do and i think is correct to do is to open mcc, network section choose to add and configure a nic (first icon at the top), then to choose my nic then manual settings, i give an ip like 192.168.1.4 then netmask 255.255.255.0 then gateway 192.168.1.1, no zeroconf, user controlled yes and also i insert the nameservers the isp gives to my router. I think in this way should work, but it does not. I also insert a hostname (a simply fantasy name). In the router using the web interface (when i can use it), ive choosen to not use the dhcp, then its ip as 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0 as netmask. Actually about the gateway i left automatic gateway, today ill try to insert a static gateway ip. Doubt: PPP IP extension could be useful? Anyway ive tried and doesnt seems so.

I usually have the nic not controlled by users, but only to be enabled by the root user. I think no is the default, but then this shouldn't affect your ability to get your network card working.

Are you sure the CD/DVD you installed from is not corrupted in any way or is a bad burn? Have you applied all update to the system?

Try and md5sum check on the ISO images you downloaded, and make sure they are OK. If not, then it could be these disks have caused the problems you're experiencing. Apply all updates, and see if this helps as well, if you've not already done so.

If you've only got one pvc connection created, then let it use the automatic option.

I opted for a static one inserting my router's IP but seems affecting anything.

I did a lot of tries during these days, i obtained to be able to reboot all the times i wanted and see the nic connection to the router staying on and i could go on Internet without any problem. All the configuration were simple and stable (static ip, gateway, netmask, metric and so on). Ive found that is the powering off event that creates the problem. At the reboot the router sees the realtek nic, i get the green led all nice and shining on it but it's not in running mode let's it call so.

Any idea of what could cause this? Actually when i switch off the pc everything goes down the router too. But in previous tries when i was leaving the router on i got the same result. Any idea on what should cause

this?

You have a really strange problem, why I've no idea. I have a Realtek 8139 in one of my machines, and it doesn't have the same symptoms. It works every time I turn the computer on.

I really have no idea what to suggest next. I'm presuming you've tried different network cables as well in case it's related to that. A green led normally shows that the card is working, and it's at it's relative speed, which I think is 100mbps when it's green, 10mbps when it's yellow.

If the powering off is causing the problem, I can only think that maybe you have some sort of hardware issue.

You have a really strange problem, why I've no idea. I have a Realtek 8139 in one of my machines, and it doesn't have the same symptoms. It works every time I turn the computer on.

I really have no idea what to suggest next. I'm presuming you've tried different network cables as well in case it's related to that. A green led normally shows that the card is working, and it's at it's relative speed, which I think is 100mbps when it's green, 10mbps when it's yellow.

If the powering off is causing the problem, I can only think that maybe you have some sort of hardware issue.

Seems so to me too. But why Windoze :evilmod: was instead able to make it work? Ok i know the reasons could be many but i dont like to know that WinXp was able to make it work.

I had a memory problem in Linux, that never occurred in Windows. I had to choose "Load Optimised" in my BIOS, and then the memory problem went away in Windows.

It can happen like this, Linux seems to me suceptible to hardware faults, whereas with Windows you may or may not even notice them. Users had Windows crashed, and just thought it was nothing in particular. They live with it, and yet this in itself could be due to a hardware problem because they think it's just software related.

I had a memory problem in Linux, that never occurred in Windows. I had to choose "Load Optimised" in my BIOS, and then the memory problem went away in Windows.

It can happen like this, Linux seems to me suceptible to hardware faults, whereas with Windows you may or may not even notice them. Users had Windows crashed, and just thought it was nothing in particular. They live with it, and yet this in itself could be due to a hardware problem because they think it's just software related.

:lol: I know exactly what you mean. I work in a software house, but at home i want linux. Till now ive seen and tried: Solaris7, UNixware, Sco Unix, diff Windoze, i was in the TeamOS/2 Italy (yep the OS/2 ! :) ), some linux distro since the ugly Slackware 3.2! I want Linux coz i use Mathematica and another program and data and all the rest MUST be stable and reliable.

Where is Load Optimised in your Bios? Ok mine isnt new but i dont remember this entry.

I think my BIOS is an Award one, as I built my own PC. So normal PC manufacturers don't have this.

When you go into the BIOS using DEL or whatever the hotkey is for getting into it, you normally get a blue menu screen. One of the options is Load Optimised. It may or may not help, but worth a try.

I think my BIOS is an Award one, as I built my own PC. So normal PC manufacturers don't have this.

When you go into the BIOS using DEL or whatever the hotkey is for getting into it, you normally get a blue menu screen. One of the options is Load Optimised. It may or may not help, but worth a try.

Ahh! That load optimised! :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry i thought something inside the dram timing, all ok.

Mine is home build too.

:P

Let us know how you get on after checking these. Also look for Plug and PLay OS and make sure it's disabled and not set to OS controlled. Wording might be slightly different, or this option might not exist. Doesn't seem to on newer boards.