Speed....

hanes

Hi, I have used linux for the last couple of years. Mostly mandriva, I love the distro. Anyways, last month or so I have been using XP, simply because I want to play Star Wars Battlefront 2. But anyways here I am using this OS and slowly all of a sudden I am USING it .... and heres what I notice

Mandriva ROX in most categories except speed.

I can open up explorer, browse to a file and open it WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY faster then I can in KDE.

Why? I know there are other visual managers but most of em are not visually apealling enough or are "weird".

Anyways have the people on this board noticed this too?

Hanes

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any such problems and I use KDE but I'm also a Gentoo user. Mandriva by default has a lot of services running in the background and disabling some of them might help. Also try running top to see if there is something hogging your system resources.

There are a few things I uninstall, first is kat, then nfs-utils and nfs-utils-clients because when I shut down the machine they error. Plus I'm not using nfs anyway as it's a network file system, and I'm not bothered about that.

If your using nfs, then of course don't remove these :P

There are a few things I uninstall, first is kat, then nfs-utils and nfs-utils-clients because when I shut down the machine they error.  Plus I'm not using nfs anyway as it's a network file system, and I'm not bothered about that.

If your using nfs, then of course don't remove these :P

Have you got portmapper running?

NFS shouldn't make any difference unless it can't disconnect and this would happen if portmapper was failing. If this is the case then by all means uninstall NFS if you are not using it but fixing portmapper should help too.

Do you need portmapper?  I wondered if I could disable this service or not, I believe it relates to RPC's etc.  Just didn't know if safe to disable.

It is considered more secure to disable but many services use it.

NFS needs it but somehow works without (I guess brute force) but is extremly slow to connect.

If other protocols are using RPC then I guess they would also add delays and I have found through experience rather than good science that having it working and configured helps lots of those funny problems.

I just checked, my gentoo system has it disabled, but then I'm not using NFS or most likely nothing else that requires it either.

I'll disable later on Mandriva when I get home, and see if it causes any problems.

My default KDE installation is fast as a bullet (no surprise, Arch does not include kat anywhere!), but occasionally crashes at logout. Afterwards I found out that this is caused by libsvg (which is a Gnome/Cairo package!), and which also creates isues with numerous GTK2- based applications.

WHY it should crash KDM, while it's not a dependency? I frankly don't know...