Network Install Mandriva 2006

paCkeTroUTer

Hi all,

I have downloaded Mandriva 2006 (not ISO's) and set it up on my networked box and trying to install it via the network.

I have got the 2 floppy disks with the network.img and network_drivers.img ready

After rebooting, network image disk loads and at the end, it asks lists the installation method. I select ftp and select OK. It then asks me to insert the Drivers image floppy.

Second disk goes in and I select OK. System copies the files and errors with the message: "This floppy doesn't contain the driver"... I select OK

It then gives me another Error message: "Warning, Installation of driver failed. (please include msg from <Alt-F3> for bugreports) .... which is as follows:

###################################################################

* PCI: device 11ab 4320 1458 is "Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. I88E8001 Gigabit Lan PCI Controller", driver is sk98lin

* have to insmod sk98lin

* found net interface lo, but blacklisted

* needs sk98lin

* have to insmod floppy

* needs floppy

* succeeded floppy

* /dev/fd0 type: H1440

* track: 0

* mounting /dev/fd0 on /tmp/floppy as type ext2

* copy_file: /tmp/floppy/modules.mar -> /tmp/tmpfs/modules.mar

* short write (Invalid argument)

* file-not-found-in-archive sk98lin.ko (maybe you can try another boot floppy such as 'hdcdrom_usb.img')

* warning, insmod failed (sk98lin (null)) (2)

* unsetting automatic

* NET: was expecting another network interface (broken net module?)

###################################################################

If I do not hit Alt+F3 then it returns me to a screen to choose from a list of drivers to "gain net access"

In the list I find the driver sk98lin.ko which I presume is the driver to the "Marvell" Network Card I have. I select it and hit OK which brings me to another screen which says: "Please enter the parameters to give to the kernel:" followed by an "Options" input box.

Now thats where I am stuck at in the installation process. I googled a bit and found this page: http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/suppo....htm#Section3.1 which is some documentation on the installation of the drivers into the kernel. However my scenario is a bit different here I think. Anyone have ideas on how I can proceed?

Alternatively is it possible to install the distro if I burn all the downloaded files onto DVD's. I am guessing there might be a list of files which go onto Disc1, Disc2 Disc3 etc.. which I am not sure ( and hence I am guessing ISO's make life easier :o) )

Any help appreciated. Thanks for reading this far!

cheers,

Jeffery

If the machine you are installing from has linux on it already, use the kernel ( isolinux/alt0/vmlinuz) as a kernel in your bootloader, with the file isolinux/alt0/all.rdz as the initrd, and you should be able to boot into the installer as if you had booted the CD. Note that you need to add an append line as well, similar to that in the default entry in isolinux/isolinux.cfg

If the machine does not have linux installed, but has PXE support, you can use that to load the same kernel and initrd.

There are some more hints on this on the cooker wiki ....

• 3 weeks later...

"sk98lin" driver included in the current kernel is broken (I know it, because I do have the very same card on my laptop).

The only working solution is doing a minimal installation from whatever media you can afford, and re-compiling the NIC driver using the files from the Marvell web site.

It worked for me (for Mandriva, Arch Linux, and the latest Kanotix release candidate).

"sk98lin" driver included in the current kernel is broken (I know it, because I do have the very same card on my laptop).

Is it, worked fine for me on 2006 before I switched to the nforce ethernet controller (I have a dual LAN). Might also be worth trying skge if it is there, this is the opensource version of sk98lin, however it doesn't work well with 2nd Generation Marvell Yukon cards, or the 1.3 revision either (which I have).

Is it, worked fine for me on 2006 before I switched to the nforce ethernet controller (I have a dual LAN).  Might also be worth trying skge if it is there, this is the opensource version of sk98lin, however it doesn't work well with 2nd Generation Marvell Yukon cards, or the 1.3 revision either (which I have).

It is- actually if you press alt+F4 during the netinstall to see the kernel messages it spits out something like "module present but blacklisted".

never tried the "skge" driver and I'll probably never try it, since the driver from the Yukon site (issued 25th of October) just works.

• 2 months later...

The only working solution is doing a minimal installation from whatever media you can afford, and re-compiling the NIC driver using the files from the Marvell web site.

It worked for me (for Mandriva, Arch Linux, and the latest Kanotix release candidate).

Got a link for that site?

Thanks.

lynchmob

I had problems with sk98lin on Gentoo, but it worked a treat with 2006 Free no additional downloads required. Could never get Gentoo working even with the driver download from the Marvell/Yukon site.

Link for the driver:

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/suppo...nux/sk98lin.htm

and download here:

http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/support/driver/