scanners on Mandriva

solarian

Hello,

I intend to buy a scanner, but before I do Linux compability comes into mind :unsure:

So, how does Mandriva recognize and deal with USB scanners?

I am thinking of a HP scanner, nothing too extreme, something around HP ScanJet 3800 or maybe Canon CanoScan LiDE 500F.

I need an inexpensive scanner for scanning artwork... The problem is that most of these ar photography oriented.. and I still want good quality (it's for an animation film I'm making with some friends)

Maybe you can advise a good scanner for this?

Edited by solarian

You cannot go wrong with EPSON scanners. They have a good, even excellent association with the Linux community in developing suitable drivers.

I am currently using a Perfection 2450 Photo but it would be superb for art work and not just Photography (can scan slides and negatives as well). Basically any scanner that can do excellent scans of photos is more than enough to do great scans of artwork. The difference is in the software, not the hardware. Xsane the scanner software can do anything that the proprietary software can do especially in the case of EPSON. My choice was helped initially by finding that more photographers and artists in this region used Epson despite the heavy advertising of all the other brands. I have not been disappointed.

Cheers. John.

I have a HP PSC1215 all-in-one, which I managed to get working under 10.0, both scanning and printing, and I'm very happy with it so far. The settings survived the migration to 2005LE, too.