Debian: How to use APT! [solved]

:lol: how do some old timers say: the only way to learn a distro properly is to break your box over and over again.

I have tried VERY hard to break my Arch Linux, but so far I failed to do so... it is so darn SIMPLE to manipulate, that even illiterates like me can restore order within minutes.

Oh well, wrong distro choice I guess... I will next try Yoper and tell ya how it goes! :jester: Else, I will stay illiterate for a lifetime! :lol2:

Edited by scarecrow

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: I wish I had the time to play with this Arch thing!

bvc, many thanks to you! I'll apt-get install apt-file as soon as possible (and probably uninstall synaptic, which is a little too much for my laptop).

Yves.

hmm... i have read many negative comments and reviews about arch. but then, i also read lots of negative comments about mandriva. :rolleyes:

Who cares what others think? You shouldn't be bashing a distro unless you've at least tried it yourself. 90% of the world use windows, that doesn't mean it's good. Just because someone writes a negative review doesn't mean it's a bad distro. The reason arch gets bad reviews is because it's install is a bit hard for people new or inexperienced with computers/Linux, but the installer won't change because the distro has a different audience.

Arch is actually the easiest distro to use, easy to manage daemons in the rc file, easy to make packages, easy to install packages, most uptodate and stable distro i've tried and pacman is always a pleasure to use. I've tried countless distros looking for one that was just right, everyone had something i disliked, but when I tried arch it was perfect in every single way for me.

Thanks for the review. Indeed, from what I see on their web site, the Arch distribution seems interesting, but anyway I won't use it, because my Pentium MMX is not exactly the targeted CPU :)

Yves.

Who cares what others think? You shouldn't be bashing a distro unless you've at least tried it yourself. 90% of the world use windows, that doesn't mean it's good. Just because someone writes a negative review doesn't mean it's a bad distro. The reason arch gets bad reviews is because it's install is a bit hard for people new or inexperienced with computers/Linux, but the installer won't change because the distro has a different audience.

Arch is actually the easiest distro to use, easy to manage daemons in the rc file, easy to make packages, easy to install packages, most uptodate and stable distro i've tried and pacman is always a pleasure to use. I've tried countless distros looking for one that was just right, everyone had something i disliked, but when I tried arch it was perfect in every single way for me.

lowe, i wasn't bashing arch, if you would have thought a bit more about what i wrote. ;) i know that arch IS a good distro, although i haven't used it yet. why? simply because people use it and like it. that simple. i have e.g. slack and fedora on one of my boxes and i can assure you that there are even more bad comments about slack and especially fedora than arch. but slack and fedora are good distros.

as with every distro, your view of a distro depends largely on your knowledge level and what you expect the machine to do. if you are relatively new to linux and try arch, people will claim that it is a bad distro due to the configuration you need to do. but for those who are comfy with e.g. slack, moving over to arch is a funny and pleasant experience afaik. (i guess most bashers only write negative comments because they underestimated their posibilities).

the funny thing is that some people bash fedora because it comes with a lot of services running out of the box and the same persons bash e.g. arch because it does not run services by default. weird, eh? :D

oh... we got completely off topic. :oops:

Just a quick congrats on loading up DSL. Tried it out last night and was impressed. From the docs I read, which aint much, it seems that finding DSL specific info may be more helpful. Its based on knoppix but installs as a deb. With some great additional options like frugal install etc. Keep hacking away at it.....and remember to keep us posted .... :P

• 4 weeks later...

Belated follow up....as a total newb, especially to "apt-get" , my first updating and adding packages experience with Mepis (live and online! a first, thanks to laptops) was phenomenally smooth and easy. The non-us repositoires and the error messages were gotten rid of with a kdesu kdeedit on CLI....and removing broken packages is also a snap...

hmm... i have read many negative comments and reviews about arch. but then, i also read lots of negative comments about mandriva. :rolleyes:

Aye, I can bash it cause I've used it several times and don't care for it..... :)

Don't say it's cause my lack of Linux exp. cause that wouldn't be close to being true. :P

I finally decided to give Arch 0.7 a chance on one of my boxes two weeks ago and it survived only one week. It didn't offer me exactly what I expect from a distro (Now, Elive 0.3 is residing on that test-box). But if others like Arch, so be it. :)

I won't disturb you for long :lol:. I just wanted to drop a word or two to say that I've found my way with apt :). The key tools are apt-get (of course), aptitude, and apt-file IMHO.

And I'll mark the thread as [sOLVED], which does not close it in any way. 'later!

Yves.