Debian: How to use APT! [solved]

dpkg -i <packagename>.*.deb will install the single deb file you grab from the web. put a sudo before it in case dsl uses the sudo approach rather than root.

you can have all mirrors included in debian but - as you already figured out - should not have all of them activated at the same time. if you grab one application from unstable, grab only that application and don't perform a whole apt-get update or (even worse) apt-get upgrade. currently i give the advice to debian (and related distro) users to take a close look at things they grab from unstable as there might be several apps that require gcc4 while about 80% of the apps are still compiled with gcc3.x. i hope you get the picture. i mixed gcc3 with gcc4 apps with yoper once and the result was a system, reponding in an unpredictable and weird way. :D

So is commenting (s/^/#) and uncommenting (s/^#//) the Debian sources the equivalent to the enabling/disabling in Mandriva?
correct.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dpkg -i <packagename>.*.deb will install the single deb file
I understood as much, and I used this possibility. However, it seems there is no equivalent in Debian to "urpmi /path/to/package-file.rpm", that does act on a local file as does dpkg, and resolves dependences if needed using declared sources, as does apt.

Besides, it is not clear for me yet what are the equivalents of (for example):

regexp:# urpmf 'lib.*/libmad.*\.so$'
simpler:# urpmf 'bin/xterm'

and:

# urpmq libavi
pas de paquetage nommé libavi
Les paquetages suivants contiennent libavi : 
libavifile0.7
libavifile0.7-devel
libaviplayavcodec0.7
# urpmq -i grub
Name        : grub
Version     : 0.95
Release     : 8mdk
Group       : System/Kernel and hardware
Size        : 620393                       Architecture: i586
Source RPM  : grub-0.95-8mdk.src.rpm         Build Host: n3.mandrakesoft.com
Packager    : Mandrakelinux Team <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com>
URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
Summary     : GRand Unified Bootloader
Description :
GRUB is a GPLed bootloader intended to unify bootloading across x86
operating systems.  In addition to loading the Linux and *BSD kernels,
it implements the Multiboot standard, which allows for flexible loading
of multiple boot images (needed for modular kernels such as the GNU
Hurd).

Yves.

bffffff... man, you are asking stuff... :lol: i never had to use such stuff with urpmi and apt-get. this howto http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html can explain everything better than i can (and it saves me a lot of typing :P), so take a look there. you will have to keep in mind that apt-get is not equal to urpmi but only similar. thus it will have some commands and possibilities that urpmi might not have and vice versa.

yves, do not mix repositories! it will break your system sooner or later.

I have to disagree. you MUST wipe "or later" from the above statement! :D

Using xvesa for an old machine is pretty understandable, but have in mind that by doing so many packages won't install at all (I guess you already knew it, or had such a suspicion...).

I have to disagree. you MUST wipe "or later" from the above statement! :D

Using xvesa for an old machine is pretty understandable, but have in mind that by doing so many packages won't install at all (I guess you already knew it, or had such a suspicion...).

hehehe... i already knew it... i borked my debian three times due to that. after the third complete system loss i installed ubuntu. :D

Thanks both, and thank you arctic for your patience. I'll read this link you have posted for sure.

As a matter of fact, I do use those advanced features of urpmi a lot, and even others I did not speak about yet. That's a reason why I don't agree when the myth comes back that apt-based systems are better than RPM-based ones. It is true with pure RPM, and I don't know for yum and yast, but urpmi is for sure at least as good as apt. Mandrake did a nice hard work in developing urpmi tools.

As for XVesa... I knew it :lol: I learned it the hard way. Thanksfully, the laptop's OS is "throwable", as it is mostly used as a X terminal, and currently has nothing of value on its own drive.

Yves.

I won't agree that urpmi is better than apt (or the opposite), but once you use an advanced package manager (say Gentoo's emerge, or Arch's stunning pacman, or smart, which will likely become the new Mandriva package manipulation standard), all these older tools look half-assed.

Yup, urpmi/rpm is as good as apt/dpkg for even the more than average user. There's a few things that apt does well that rpm/urpmi doesn't either do well or at all, one of which is download,compile and install, from source for your specified arch B) . I don't know what your distro has to offer but have you looked at all the apt pkgs? :o and the apt-cache command?

apt-build

apt-file

apt-show-source

apt-show-version

apt-cacher

apt-src

apt-watch

apt-zip

aptitude

auto-apt

axel-kapt

netselect-apt

update-apt

there's also dselect...the fronted to dpkg and about 10 other dpkg pkgs as well.

I use the rpm/urpmi commands all the time and have consistantly preached their power here. People don't like the cli and the good info on rpm/urpmi is not in the FAQ so, we have tons of dependency threads.

I don't know how someone could say urpmi or apt is half assed, unless you had probless with them. I don't see how you could though. They're so easy.

Edited by bvc

Wow! I don't have all those apt-*! IIRC, I have apt-get, apt-cache, apt-ftp... err... no I don't remember, too bad...

Well, I'll have to find those.

BTW, I hope I did not start a war... :lol:

One simple example of how newbie I feel with Debian tools:

Yesterday, I had to run "sudo locale-gen" as stated by a how-to to solve a problem I have with my Xvesa. No luck! there was no "locale-gen" binary available.

So I went to the command-line, and typed "dpkg -L apt", and read the man/help for each binary, but I could not find a way to perform a simple "urpmf bin/locale-gen$", or even "urpmf locale-gen".

I thought: I'm not smart enough, Synaptic will come to the rescue. I apt-got it (I hope I did not break everything, because this caused gcc to get updated...), and still no luck: Synaptic doesn't allow me to search for files!

I fired http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents, which told me about "belocs-locales-bin", so that's what I installed (unfortunately, on my small 800x600 screen I had not seen, that this was followed by ", base/locales", as I see now on the big screen...). After ages of installation/configuration (with 95% swap usage, I let you imagine...), I finally had the task finished; I skipped the locale-gen command, as I figured that this was what I had just seen while the belocs-locales-data was configuring itself.

The how-to then instructed to run (IIRC) apt-configure locales... no "locale" package installed... I apt-got it, and it all started over again (generating the fr_FR.UTF8 locale is what is eating up the swap).

I stopped the process and went to bed. And I don't know if the thing will boot again. I may have to reinstall once more. Well... I'm learning :)

Yves.

Yves, it is possible but the switch isn't on the top of my head...

Install kpackage and you can use the open .... and then install.

(you can also pws -ef while its doing it and get the command)

apt-get install kpackage should do the trick...

(assuming you have kde lib's)

Hi Gowator!

I'll try what you suggest, if only for my education. I very much fear however that my poor old laptop won't be up to the weight of kpackage (it is a P166MMX with 32MB RAM and 2GB HD). Its only strengh in this matter is the network: the above-mentionned belocs-locales-bin/data were downloaded at 550KB/s or so (hence about 4.5Mb/s). As for kde libs, I think I don't have them at the moment; those will have to be apt-got as well.

Yves.

I stopped the process and went to bed. And I don't know if the thing will boot again. I may have to reinstall once more. Well... I'm learning :)
:lol: how do some old timers say: the only way to learn a distro properly is to break your box over and over again.

localhost:~# dpkg -S locale-gen

locales: /usr/share/man/man8/locale-gen.8.gz

locales: /usr/sbin/locale-gen

localhost:~#

From reading the doc, I thought this would only work with installed packages (sort of like rpm -qf). What I want is urpmf, ie: "What currently not-installed package should I install to have this missing file?". I'll try anyway...

:lol: how do some old timers say: the only way to learn a distro properly is to break your box over and over again.

:) I broke Mandrake often enough some years ago, too. That must be true.

Yves.

apt-file

APT package searching utility -- command-line interface

apt-file is a command line tool for searching packages for the APT

packaging system.

Unlike apt-cache, you can search in which package a file is included

or list the contents of a package without installing or fetching it.

...and yeah, best way to learn is to break it :afro: