Configuration Wizard Doesn't Detect Printer

tstrickland

When I try to set up my printer with the Configuration Wizard it can't detect my printer which is connected via a USB port (yes, the printer's on). I've tried to install it manually by selecting one of the three USB ports available in the set-up procedure, but it won't connect to any of them. When I go through the procedure, it seems to set up the printer but won't print a test page. I then choose Enable Printer and it returns the message that the printer is Enabled. However, when I get back to the initial installation window, it shows that the printer I just tried to install is Disabled. :wall:

What to do? :help:

:thanks:

is hotplug enabled on your system? what printer-module does the system recommend for your printer before it quits on printing a test-page?

please give us more information on your hardware/printer and the version of mandrake/mandriva you are running. :)

My printer is a Canon S300. The setup Wizard lets me select my printer and Canon S300 is an option (which, of course, I selected).

I'm trying to get Mandriva 2005 LE installed. My copy is on a DVD.

Sorry, but I don't know what "hotplug" is, so it's probably not installed. I certainly didn't install it intentionally.

su to root and launch konqueror. In thea ddress field type "localhost:631"

You'll be presented with a better printer setup through CUPS. There are usually 2 or 3 drivers to choose from for teh same machine. If one doesn't work, choose another.

Make sure that Plug and Play OS is not set to OS in the BIOS.

If this is already the case, then check in System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer and then System and Services.

Within here, check that HardDrake is running. I find on my system that certain USB devices don't get detected when this isn't running. You'll also notice that hotplug is in here too, so you can also enable this service too if it's not already disabled (as arctic mentioned previously).

I've also moved this topic to hardware, as it's not really an Installing Mandrake/Mandriva item, but hardware installation (as you already have Mandrake/Mandriva up and running :P )

I turned the Plug and Play OS off (from "yes" to "no") in the BIOS. Then booted up and went into Configure Your Computer. Found that HardDrake was running but hotplug was not. I turned it on. However, printer configuration Wizard still couldn't detect my printer.

I had the same problem with sdan's recommendations. Going to "localhost:631" gave me several printers to choose from, but not my Canon S300, although several of the other Canon drivers would probably work. However, the printer wasn't detected.

Now what?

Thanks!!

One of the things that puzzled me when I installed Mandriva was that a substantion number of files failed to install. Most were related to i586. However, the program installed and runs.

I've actually installed the program twice. The first time I screwed up the installation and it wouldn't boot up. I've also run the update feature about three times and this allowed me to get some things working that didn't the first time. However, it doesn't help me with the printer. It tells me to proceed with the installation and then install the printer from configuration, as we've been trying to do.

What happens when you administrate through CUPS? (localhost:631)

Going to "localhost:631" gave me several printers to choose from, but not my Canon S300, although several of the other Canon drivers would probably work. However, the printer wasn't detected. When I tried to set up the printer, it would show up as Disabled. The procedure gave me the option to Enable it, but that didn't work. It wouldn't print a test page and back on the setup window it showed the printer to be still Disabled.

What happens when you unplug the usb cable and plug it back in?

Nothing different!

First I booted into Windows XP and tested the printer. It worked. Then I booted up Mandriva and went to the set-up wizard. It didn't connect the printer. Then, I closed the wizard, unplugged the printer cable, and plugged it into a different USB port. Then I restarted the wizard again with the same negative result.

One thing I've noted but don't understand: When I first enter the wizard, it says that it auto-detected a printer at parallel port #0 (/dev/lp0), but it hasn't. If I accept that anyway and proceed to set up the printer, it won't print.

I had this with my Canon BJC-2100. It got auto-detected, then I edited it, and then it wouldn't work.

Remove what you have in the configuration, and then try and auto-detect it again. When it auto-detects, don't try to change the name or anything like I did, as it all went wrong.

I'm not sure if you've done the same or not, but I thought I'd let you know just in case.