Configuration Wizard Doesn't Detect Printer

tstrickland

I had this with my Canon BJC-2100.  It got auto-detected, then I edited it, and then it wouldn't work.

Remove what you have in the configuration, and then try and auto-detect it again.  When it auto-detects, don't try to change the name or anything like I did, as it all went wrong.

I'm not sure if you've done the same or not, but I thought I'd let you know just in case.

That didn't work. Same results as before. It says that the printer is connected to a parallel port and is working, but it isn't. It won't print.

I have a spare Lexmark Z515 printer so I put it in. Same results. It prints in Windoows XP but not in Mandriva Linux.

i have the impression that the cups package might be corrupt. have you applied patches to your system? if not, do it now. if yes, remove cups for now and reinstall it. maybe the file you got was corrupted during the downlooad process.

it is very unusual that cups refuses to print tetpages or anything else on two different printers (unless there are no drivers available for them).

I see that you mentiond that a number of packages failed to install. That sounds like a bad burn and you may be missing some key packages. Use easy urpmi to set up main and contrib media (you can then remove your dvd from the media) and then in MCC -> Software -> Install (whatever it's called) look to see what Cups packages are available, one of them may be missing. If you have a bad burn and certain packages don't install it's a good idea to note what they are and later install them from the net. You may be missing any number of key packages.

Updated with easyurpmi. Printer still won't print.

Some things noted during verbose start-up:

In the start-up sequence it says:

initializing USB controller (uhci-hcd):

initializing USB controller (ehci-hcd):

Mount USB file system

Loading USB file system

This sequence was followed by [OK}

Later in the start-up sequence it says:

starting dkms:

nvidia(7174):Installing mode

.....(bad exit status:5)

Installation failed!

Checking for new hardware

At this point the installation halts - the computer keeps running but nothing happens.

If I reboot, the next time it will usuallly get past this poiint and successfully load.

:wall:

My frustration level is pretty high right now. Maybe i should give up and find a different installation disk.

As polemicz said, if you had a lot of packages missing when you installed the operating system, you could be missing some key things, which is causing all the problems you're experiencing. They might be missing packages relating to cups, or even corruption on your media.

Check that your ISO images and/or CD media is OK, burn them at a slower speed to avoid problems with the media.

You may have to reinstall to get this operational will all the packages that are missing and not installed.