Linux future

ilia_kr

well after 3 pages of argumentation, he gives us the:

Moreover, i agree with what phunni said: you do not alwais have enough time to 'play' with linux, it is for professionals. Unless Linux will be more appealing to an average user - it won't be a number one OS.

proves to me that a) he's not listening at all. or b ) he's a troll.

Come on, if you truly are listening, but want to debate on that, I'm cool with that but at least, give something to debate on...

Edited by Ghil Vertefeuille

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an unbiased oppinion if that's possible.

I set up my Linux and Windows desktop to look similar, and my girlfriend has used both without missing a beat. Now there is a certain amount of knowleged associated with using linux, but an out of the box distro is very usable by the average joe needing a word processor and internet access.

In truth, those using Linux are a unique group of people. They are usually computer litterate and tech savy. Let's face it, we could all use Linux straight out of the box and it would be fine, but for the most part we choose to customize and tweek it, because it's somewhat rewarding.

After the next versions of KDE and Gnome have matured with OpenGl eye candy and another round of usability tweeking (bringing it on par with OSX and Windows), I think linux will be more than ready for the desktop. The only thing really holding desktop linux back is vender apps. As much as the Gimp is good enough, photoshop would bring a lot of converts.

He's defending windows in a linux community.. now if you ask me that's just asking for trouble. Not only that he's also being very negative towards linux. "Linux doesn't do this blah blah" just run along back to windows now. Stop trying to compare windows and linux, if you don't like linux and think it has a bleak future then don't use it.

oh... now try to persuade die hard windows users to use linux in a windows forum. you will have a tough job there, because you are definitely biased. :D

now, after all, the only thing that shows that linux-os's are ready for the desktop is: 1. me and other users using it already and not missing other operating systems and 2. mandriva, novell and hundreds of other distributions providing you with a desktop system. if linux wouldn't have a future as a desktop os, then they wouldn't have developed something like that.after all... they spend a lot of money on this development process. ;)

one final note: not everything will run on linux. not everything will work with linux. and not everyone will like linux. but this is the same with every operating system. you will always find someone who dislikes beos or amiga or mac osx or linux or windows for the one reason or the other. but we will see a lot of the "problems" users might run into dissappear in the future or being replaced by other problems. that is the normal way of computer-evolution.

we have different tastes and views. and that is 100% fine. wouldn't the computing world miss something if we all have only one opinion? so... no need to get angry.

i will end my part in this discussion with a reference to shakespeare:

much ado about nothing :)

Why do people get so angry about good, honest open discussion? If everyone is unwilling to sensibly discuss MS vs Windows then we are going to be of limited use to newbies. Just disregarding windows with a joke or dismissing it as unusable unstable (which is rubbish - but to hear some people you wonder how any windows users are ever able to get anything done!) does not count as sensible discusion.

Guest Adriano1

My personal point is that when you want sensible discussion you don't open a thread with the standard trolling "Linux will never be Nº 1 OS". I've seen it appear at least 4 times last week in the newsgroups I'm subscribed to. I guess similar reactions will be experienced doing the appropriate thing in windows forums or newsgroups.

Basically, you can't have an open, sensible discussion of the problems and shortcomings of the two (or more) platforms with a newbie, by definition. Not because they're stupid, but because they don't know (at least) one of the platforms. They're newbies after all.

If I say, after ten years or more of using windows, and after 5 or more of using linux, that some things in Linux have problems right now (lack of an _adopted_ standard for the menu? shortcomings in ALSA? unintuitiveness of CUPS?), or that Internet Explorer is a security risk (just to give an example), I can do it because I know (I might be wrong, please do tell). But starting with "I don't know linus, I tried to inztall Debian but I can't get anywhere, this linus sux" is not "healthy discussion". It's just someone venting in an inappropriate place.

Guest Adriano1

To expand, I could be someone somewhat experienced in Linux, and getting to a Windows XP desktop I could think "there's no "applications" menu, the menu is not ordered sensibly, there are no virtual desktops, this interface looks like a toy, windows is teh sux0rz, they'll never be l337" or I could ask someone:

-Is there a way to reorder the menu?

-Is there a way to get this shiny cool virtual desktops feature I had on Linux?

-Can I theme the desktop?

Now, which of the two will get me a sensible discussion and which will get me half a dozen of windows users claiming I'm a troll?

Edited by Adriano

Fair point. What I was trying to say about helping newbies was more along the lines of being able to objectively discuss the merits of one OS vs the other. I suspect that many people on this board would simply dismiss windows as being useless - which is not really all that helpful...

Also, I had personally never been a part of an online community before I started using linux and I suspect that would be true of other newbies. It seems likely that many people will barge in with no real idea of etiquette or how things come across online and be taken for trolls when they might just be naive...

Guest Adriano1

This is something that always surprises me. What on Earth could make someone think that phrases they'd never utter "in real life" are permissible or acceptable online? What makes someone intelligent (a physics professor of mine) think repeated emailing in ALL CAPS and no structure whatsoever is acceptable? Especially since other correspondence he sent follows sane rules of typography and redaction.

I still can't understand this. What makes people think that it's admissible to barge in with a flurry of badly thought l3375p33k? What makes them think that they can get away with a badly formulated question and _demand_ coherent answers?