• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can.

Menu -> System -> Configuration -> Configure Your Computer

(the easyest way)

then from there go to Mount Points -> Create and resize partitions

There you will be able to create partitions with a GUI tool.

Select the partition you want, format into FAT32 and mount anywhere you want (I suggest: '/mnt/fat32')

Be careful ;)

solarian, what version of mandrake are you using? the reason I ask is that, as stated before, I am using 9.2. when I follow your instructions I do not get an opportunity to create or resize my home partition. I have a small / partition (5gig) and a very large home (105gig). this is the way 9.2 did it on my install. I don't seem to be able to resize the home either from linux or using my 7tools PM form windows. I am at a lost, again. sigh

I'm sorry, largegroh, but I have no memory of 9.2 :(

I'm myself using Mandriva 2005, but my instructions would have worked for 10.0 and 10.1 too.

I didn't know/remember it's different in 9.2

I hope somebody with more experience in 9.2 can help you.

Or you can change distro to the latest and the best one to date - MDV2005 :D

Edited by solarian

you can do it with powerquest partition magic under windows (but this prog is not free ...).

- IMHO - here's an advice: you'd seriously think about install the latest available distro (i.e. Mandriva 2005) ...

Have luck.

Edited by theo

here is what info my 7tools Partition manager gives. It also will not allow me to change anything.

hd0 windows on primary drive didn't copy this stuff

hd1 primary ext3 5.9GB 1.2GB used used active

extended --- 106GB ----- not active

logical swap2 494MB 4k used not active

logical invalid 105GB 2.1GB used not active

this is how mandrake 9.2 set up the second drive. I don't seem able to resize the 105GB partition or the 106gb one..they are part of same. shrug.

here is what info my 7tools Partition manager gives. It also will not allow me to change anything.

hd0 windows on primary drive didn't copy this stuff

hd1 primary ext3    5.9GB    1.2GB used  used active

extended  ---      106GB  -----            not active

logical  swap2  494MB  4k      used  not active

logical  invalid  105GB  2.1GB used  not active

this is how mandrake 9.2 set up the second drive. I don't seem able to resize the 105GB partition or the 106gb one..they are part of same. shrug.

I got 7 tools and Acronis and learned to mistrust both. Ghost requires that it mark a partition. You can try terabyte's bootitng for partition work, but I don't really trust it either. MCC under 10.1 or 10.2/2005 will do it just fine.

I saw nothing in this thread about you're having a wireless mouse (until I asked) - who told you that it wouldn't work on 2005? I have zero experience with wireless mouses but a lot of people here do. Just start a new thread with a title something like "how install 2005 with wireless mouse" or somesuch,

It's easy to mount your fat partitions in MCC and view use them with 2005. I put lots of my backups on a fat partition so if I loose MDV, I can at least go to XP, unzip the backup and get what I need, like a password or something, or how many yearws I've had Alzheimers.

I quad boot to (theoretically) XP(works), 98SE (it doesn't work), DOS (I haven't checked in a couple of months), and MDV 2005. The last time I was on XP was to check the nic and, yes, Comcast was f**ked. I converted everything off XP about 6 months ago to Xandros. after 4 months of that I moved to mandriva and have been playing with the 2006 cooker (and losing at the moment :cheesy: )

I LOVE Mandriva. :headbang:

Many Linuxes do not play well with each other. Xandros refused to see MDV. I believe MDV returned the favor (they both use lilo. While running MDV, I did find I could gen ubuntu/kubuntu, and boot eitherusing GRUB installed to mbr on second HD. I did this twice but imho ubuntu and especially kubuntu needs another 2 years to get where MDV is now. I have tried Fedora core 3 (before I knew anything so that doesn't count), Fedora core 4 test1 (nogo) and Fedora c4t2 (nogo - nice olive drab empty screen, though - puce).

I keep my /home on a separate EXT3 partition so I can easily gen other things and not lose anything - I have not, however, found anything other than MDV that plays nice, or even wanted to look at my /home partition. I also have NeverWinterNights on a separate (reiserfs) partition that's easy to mount with MCC and plays nicely (I have a Nvidia card so I have to put on the driver - takes 2 minutes - no big woop.)

If you can bring yourself to do it, grab 2005 and install that. if you need a download try bittorrent or azureus or if you have bad luck with that ask and you can get a ftp route. Or I could send you a copy of my DVD if you're conus and MDV is okay with it.

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Either 7tools or acronis trueimage hosed my partition table.

Do not let either do anything to HD0.

I believe it is safe to let MDV install do anything it wants to HD1 and it will probably tell you the partition table is hosed and it will have to rewrite it - this is okay if it's the second HD.

If the first drive's partition table is hosed, you can use terabyte's IMAGE on floppy to back up each partition to a free (new, if necessary) partition as FILE IMAGES, blow HDO with bootitng management software, and recreate the mbr, and then stick IMAGE back in and restore the images one by one, XP first. I do not know if XP will boot after this.

Kristi

(I'm going under for a half hour to regen and try cooker again) :cheesy:

Edited by kristi

Hi,

You can delete whatever you want :) It just won't work afterwards..

A suggestion.. before you continue with anything else, get your uprpm sources squared away. Then you can take advantage of RPM installs and you will feel confident that everything is being installed in the correct place.

Have you tried the command line yet? Try this..

1. Open a console (command line window) and type

su [enter]

your root password [enter]

You are now root and have rights to do admin stuff.

Now type

mcc

Go to your urpmi sources and delete them all *toss them out*

Quit MCC and you are back in the command window..

Now use a browser (just leave the command window open) and locate EasyURPMI

Select your locations, just get one, don't worry about getting them all

Highlight the location with your mouse.. as you highlighted it, it is already copied to the cut/paste buffer for you to use.

Now go to the command window and hit the middle scroll button. It should paste the text into the command window.

Press enter and the source will be added..

When all done (do all the individual sources), try..

urpmi whatever

e.g.

urpmi opera

If its listed in the sources, it will bring it down and install it for you..

If its not, you can get the rpm source from a web site, down load it, and then type

rpm thefilename.rpm

It will install...

ok I will try to figure out how to update to 205....which version? or is it the final release? is it free or will it cost me?

the latest version is 2005LimitedEdition aka 2005LE aka 2005 (used to be called 10.2)

http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en-us/ftp.php3

Look bottom right.

Looks like it's free now for 3CDs or DVD. They want you to join the club and if you can spare $66 become a standard member (that's what I did), but the link is free. but support MDV if you can it IS important... :cheesy:

here's a link to ciril which should be pretty fast

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinu.../iso/10.2/i586/

I personally prefer to use azureus because it's infinitely restartable and these are 700mb or 2gb files.

The bittorrent pointers are way the hell halfway down the first link I gave you

Don't forget to grab the related mdsum file and checksum what you've downloaded. (if you bittorent/Azureus, the checksum folder comes with it but DO NOT LOOK AT IT TILL THE BITTORENT IS COMPLETED)

Any questions - holler

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Why don't you scrap your linux partitions and start over. You can redo the install and this time do a custom install.. Now you can set it up yourself exactly like you want it.. the custom install has a autopartition button so you can see how Mandriva would have set it up for you. You can then write that info down, clear the partition table, and set it up with your own modifications.

Why don't you scrap your linux partitions and start over. You can redo the install and this time do a custom install.. Now you can set it up yourself exactly like you want it.. the custom install has a autopartition button so you can see how Mandriva would have set it up for you. You can then write that info down, clear the partition table, and set it up with your own modifications.

definitely agree with Cannonfodder, once you've got 2005 in your hands!

EDIT - Cannonfodder, just noticed all your posts up there - DUH - you take precidence if I contradicted anything you said. :jester:

Kristi

Edited by kristi

if I delete the linux partitions, which I am inclined to do, I will need to repair my mbr, correct? when i deleted simply MEPIS my system would not boot till I repaired MBR with xp install cd. Not sure if this is what you mean by scrap though.

edit: i almost have all 3 cd's dl'd. am on the last one now. they are all over 700 MB though. i am not sure i can burn a cd image since my cd's are 700MB in size. Can I even get larger CD's? have not seen any but not really looked either so not sure.

Edited by largegroh